2017 Ford Expy 3.5L EB 5500mi Edge 0w40 HIGH IRON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what to make of this. I was expecting a stellar report and I have all this iron. I towed more with the old oil and it was MC 5w-20. I only towed one short trip this summer and had some decent long hauls otherwise; doesn't make sense. I put Edge 0w-40 back in so will see if this was a fluke. I have seen other high iron reports with same engine and oil so maybe it's not a good match? I run Edge 0w-40 in my turbo DI BMW and it does great so thought it would in the EcoBoost as well.

Code

Comment: This oil was in place a little longer than the last sample and iron spiked. It shows more steel

wear than last time on a per-mile basis, and that's not what we were expecting. If you spent more time idling

in traffic or if the engine experienced harder use, in general, then that may explain it. We'd be surprised if it

showed a developing problem, but we'll certainly watch iron as trends continue. Other metals look good and

low silicon shows good air filtration. The slightly low viscosity and 1.8% fuel are harmless, and the TBN was

strong at 3.0. Try 5,500 miles again next.

MAKE/MODEL: 2017 Expedition 3.5L EcoBoost

OIL Edde 0w-40 Ford 5w-20? Ford Factory

MILES IN USE 5500 5148 1338

MILES 11983 6486 1338

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/10/2018 9/24/2017 4/14/17

ALUMINUM 6 7 15

CHROMIUM 2 1 1

IRON 59 22 27

COPPER 19 30 100

LEAD 2 0 1

TIN 0 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 6 26 70

NICKEL 1 0 0

MANGANESE 10 7 18

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 36 0 0

POTASSIUM 3 2 11

BORON 40 80 165

SILICON 22 32 261

SODIUM 6 9 9

CALCIUM 2176 1895 1728

MAGNESIUM 12 9 9

PHOSPHORUS 790 704 640

ZINC 897 761 659

BARIUM 2 14 1

SUS VIS 210?F 59.1 54.8 49.6

cSt @ 212?F 9.96 8.70 7.14

FLASHPOINT F 350 375 355

Fuel% 1.8
Antifreeze% 0.0 0.0 0

WATER% 0.0 0.0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2 0.3 0.2

TBN 3.0 3.6 3.8

Last edited:
I don't put a lot of stock in UOA results (although I used to) . They truly do not indicate wear rate, unfortunately, most people think they do. UOA results can sometimes (but not always) indicate a component problem or failure.

Let's look at this another way, what about a 0W-40 oil would create an iron wear rate that is double a 5W-20? Yet not affect aluminum wear rates? Not very likely. Engine disassembly would likely show no unusual wear. And, engine lifespan is likely to be unaffected.

Take a look at the missing cam lobe. Imagine my surprise at the perfect UOA that showed low iron.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Either the report was faulty or that oil ain't cutting it. In either case, go to 5W30 Motorcraft or a 5W30 full Synthetic. That 0W40 was high on calcium and low on moly.

Originally Posted by Onetor
What spec does the OM require?

WSS-M2C946-A is the spec. I did a lot of research on it and found Edge 0w-40 spec supposedly exceeded it. I am guessing I got wrong info. I also posted on here about it but most people just said use Magnatec 5w-30, which is a lesser oil I think?

Thanks,

I wouldn't jump the gun quite yet and expect this is some kind of fluke. 5w20 is NOT spec'd for the 3.5 eco in any case (it was in early 2011, but changed as fuel dilution issues cropped up). 5w30 is the specified oil, but I run edge 0w40 in my f150 with the same drivetrain. Fuel dilution and shearing may drop it to a 5w30 viscosity over the interval anyway. I would stick with the 0w40 for another couple of changes and see what is going on with the iron count.

There is something odd about the viscosity in that report. New edge 0w40 has a 100C viscosity around 13.5 and a 40C viscosity above 80. Either this oil is more diluted than 1.8% or sheared down a great deal to get the numbers you are seeing. Did you change it yourself with fresh bottles of oil?

Last edited:
engine is too new for a decent UOA and what 0/40 Edge has high Ca low Mg formulation like that??

I would hold off until at least 20k miles before conducting a UOA. Allow the motor to break-in.

Engine's very new & towing puts out iron - iron puts out more iron.

Ecoboost dilute chopping your viscosity.
Ecoboost shear - tons of chain and a DI pump hurt oil.

ID say stick with it once more and see what the next one looks like before you jump oil.

in the meantime - go see what the other guys are running in their UOA's and find the sweet combo - gotta be a million to look at

UD

- if it were mine I'd load it up with magnets - I want every particle out of that oil I can keep out of my timing chain and high-pressure DI lobe.

did anyone paid attention to 5w20 and 0w40 final viscosities? I doubt edge sheared that much so likely there's some severe dilution going on. even 8.7cst with MC5w20 seems high for 5K run in a turbocharged engine. some fishy business going on with this lab

Originally Posted by dblshock
engine is too new for a decent UOA and what 0/40 Edge has high Ca low Mg formulation like that??

The A3/B4 version looks like that. From another UOA:

Capture.JPG

right, if not fishy it's old stock Edge 0/40, newer formulation caters to the balanced Ca/Mg for LSPI in TGDI engines.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Did you change it yourself with fresh bottles of oil?

Yes, always. I am hoping the next UOA is better. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your input.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tcp71
Originally Posted by dblshock

The A3/B4 version looks like that. From another UOA:

I know it is new but wanted to start from scratch for some good history and reference for others. I would think numbers would go down as it broke in, not up?

I still have the bottles, I think there were A3/B4 but will check when I get home. I got them off Amazon some time ago, they were sealed.

the Edge 0/40 is a real good oil and a nice upgrade...what we have here looks like the old stuff but that's not to blame for the high FE either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back