cut seat belt replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son had somebody break into his car last night and cut the passenger side seatbelt.

I do not like always going to the dealer for parts but since the seatbelt is so important looks like that

would be his best option to buy a new oem one.

Checked out changing the seatbelt in the Honda CRV and it seems pretty easy to do it correctly.

Has anybody had to change a seatbelt in the CRV , any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Changing seat belts is not hard. It usually involves removing the plastic trim by unclipping it and/or unscrewing it in sections and then unbolting the seat belt ends from the vehicles frame. Salvage yard would probably be the cheapest place to get replacement belts rather than going to the dealer.

Last edited:
I've seen people post here that Honda will repair or replace seat belt components for free for the life of the vehicle. I don't know if that is actually true nor do I know if it would cover this situation, but you might call the dealer and ask.

That is true but it only covers wear and tear, not intentional damage like this.

Originally Posted by mk378
That is true but it only covers wear and tear, not intentional damage like this.

You're right, I just looked it up. Sorry about that.

If it were me I would not replace the damaged one with a junkyard part, I'd buy a new one from the dealer. But that might just be me.

More than once I've bought seat belt material and sewn it in place. You won't find anybody to do this for you because of liability reasons.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by mk378

You're right, I just looked it up. Sorry about that.

If it were me I would not replace the damaged one with a junkyard part, I'd buy a new one from the dealer. But that might just be me.

I agree. A seat belt is much to important.

I'm sure the legal way would be an OEM belt from the dlr, Used used ones on the 528es though.
grin2.gif

That's kinda random.

Salvage yard sounds like a good idea, but I'd want to inspect it first. IIRC seatbelts are designed to stretch slightly in usage--as in, when stopping you from hitting the windshield. I'd call the dealer and find out what an OEM one costs. Just me but I could easily talk myself into known new on something like this.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I for one would be more comfortable getting a new OEM set up for the dealer. my son has told me how bad the traffic is in his area plus he puts a good amount of miles on every year.

Trying to not claim in on insurance to be sure his rates do not get affected . does seem like somebody wanted to cost him some money as he had a couple of items laying in the back seat that were untouched.

He keeps his nose clean , hard to believe that somebody would do this for spite but why else would this happen ?

Appreciate the video that was posted as it seems like a fairly easy job to change out the belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back