98 Buick lesabr e small fuel leak,hose or o ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 Buick lesabre.I have a small fuel leak,rear of car.it leaks sometimes,sometimes dosnt. I replaced my fuel filter,few months ago,didn't leak.kinda just started few weeks ago,as temperature dropped very cold. I have looked under car,but hard too tell,if it's the quick connect or the very rusted fuel line,it connects too.I remember the fuel line,send line, the hose,softly twisted a little, as I was removing the line from filter. Could it be an o ring? Perhaps the line needs replacing?or the fuel line assembly?
If it's the assembly,can I do it,from accessing tank,from trunk?without having too drop the tank?I plan on spr I g,replacing the strainer line,myself. But hoping,it's just the quick connect o ring in hose...

The leaked seemed too have stopped after pushing the quick connect,softly,up.seems too leak,when it gets verycold.we e had temperature fluctuations here,warm,a d only a few day every very cold. Thinking,quick connect hose o ring,or the plastic clip,is broke. Hoping it isnt,the very rusted line,it's connected too.

Originally Posted by ziggy
Rust?meaning...the rusted fuel line,is broken? Orrust got in the quick connect?

The leak will be back. It is that 20 year old o ring in that quick disconnect o ring. By disturbing it changing out the filter you sprung a leak.With the rusted steel lines, you likely will booger up the lines trying to fix the connection. Me, I would replace the entire presure line from back to front and the vent line before the cold weather finally settles in. Been there and done that on my now gone 97 Lesabre which was the biggest joke I have owned.

Last edited:
That line doesn't sound healthy at all, if it twisted because its so badly rusted you need to get it out of there, the thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

Lessee, 20 yr old Buick in CT . If you're lucky, it is just a bad fitting. While underneath, eyeball the brake lines and general condition of things. In NE, every 20 yr car should have new brake lines. Just 50 yrs of fixing old heaps has led me to this conclusion
grin2.gif

Ok!welk,it leaked today,but....I got car jacked up,home,snowed,frozen,flashlight...discovered a line is broken,a small hole,right where the fuel hose clip is. I had stopped at autozone,before home,and bought a black tape of some kind,not sticky,glue section,for fuel leaks,coolant leaks ect. Made a sort of tornaquet,twice for it, it stopped leaking. I noted,car hesitated too start..after tornaquet,it turned over fine.having driven yet on it....just the leak stopped.tried too get duct tape around it,fingers were near frozen...
So,I looked up rockauto..found send,return hoses..as delc o brand. The leak,is coming from bottom 3 hoses, the top,is the send line,into fuel filter..next,not sure,and bottom hose...not sure either...what hose,is,the third hose?

Last edited:
Found the vent hose, rockauto.gun na be about $150 ,for all 3 hoses...I'm gun na replace all of them.

Well..rockauto.com.the send line,out of stock. Gun na call dealer tomorrow,see what a new one is. The doorman brand,same part number,amazon,customer bought for his 98 lesabre, reviews...claimed it didn't fir,the quick disconnect clip,too small. Know a mechanic,cheaper labor,good service..might have too call him. Rockauto had the recap libe,return...send,as Delco out of stock.

I kinda figured,but....costly,just too replace 3 lines? I de f found one line,not going into the fuel filter, other 2, bottom of 3 lines,quick connect....it's broke,a hole, halfway between the line. I bought some black rubbery tiebreaker stuff,says it repairs fuel lines,ect,..expands ordeals itself.wrap it repair,it's called...Dan car after,no more dripping.
It appears,online,all GM send libes,are discontinued. Except doorman brabd,but...amazon,2 98 leaves users,fluent get those doorman lines on,the p!attic quick conbect,was too small too fit over fuel sender line...I can get a.c. delc o return lines,evap....but research,the send is disco. So am weary,of doorman line,but have no choice,except too try! Think I'll try the doorman s,both lines,autozone. I bought doorman door hinges,for a 98 Corolla i had,they mostly wondering nowhere near oem,pins weredifferent. Door was still off,slightly.I can only imagine,doorman lines,buick,what a headache I'm in for...

Last edited:
You can buy the short steel piece which mates with the fuel filter at the parts store. I then flared it. I replaced my entire supply line with high pressure hose rated for fuel injection( I believe it is 5/16, SAE J30R9) and used fuel injection rated clamps. Do not use worm clamps for this line. If you can find solid sections near the engine and fuel tank, you can cut the lines and flare them so you can attach to. The smaller lines are vent and return lines, you can use standard rubber fuel line and worm clamps on these since the pressure is low. This worked for me for a couple years till I sold the Lesabre and was much easier than messing around with steel lines which will eventually rot out again.. You just have to go underneath and measure out everything. You don't want a bunch of extra line because the high pressure stuff can get reletively expensive when you add it all up. Shop around because the big chains seem to be more per foot than the small mom and pop auto stores.

Last edited:
You need the three lines. Can it be Mickey Moused to run with a permanent evap code so you could use the evap line? Possibly but I wouldn't go down that hole.
This can be repaired no problem but its going to take some minor skills, time and $$ to do it.
Look around for a decent place to do the job if you don't feel like doing it in Nov on your back.

Well! Yesterday,I called my local buick,and ordered the \3 quick connect lines. $264. Wow! Amazon,2 98 leaves buyers of doorman quck conects,said,the plastic thing in connect was too small too fit over fuel sending line. Rockauto,cannot get the send line. I have no real tie,so but the bullet. Got the leak sowed,red thick gorilla tape..it works! Sunday I'm planning t too do this. Gun na try n pick up hoses today. They close at 12 pm.I work until then,parts guy said too call another guy thier,am today, then a service counter woman,so I can get the his s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back