5.3L AFM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to prevent AFM related problems with a 2011 Tahoe. Any thoughts on the "best" option for this? Looks like the Range device is very available and right at $200, but it doesn't offer any extra performance benefits and does require a constantly plugged in dongle which isn't too appealing. Custom tuners are a good option, and I like the idea of adding a few ponies/better shifting/etc, but a lot of them are costing well over $500....

I'm not a big fan of AFM, but I've had it on my last three Chevy trucks.

For me, the best option was to "lock it out" by putting the transmission in M5 around town. It's free and still allows the AFM to be used on the highway (put the trans in D or M6) where it actually is of some benefit in MPG .

I run the Range device in my Caprice, works great. The only issue I have with it is if you are not driving it for 5 to 8 days you need to pull it out or it will kill the battery.
Otherwise unless you are doing something with your OBDII port you won't know it is there.

This will not prevent the possibility of having to delete the DOD/AFM down the road. You may still have to go and remove the mechanical portion at a later date.
The failure is mechanical in nature. Even with it Ranged or tuned out G8 guys and trucks guy have had to replace the mechanical components.

It sounds like everything was fixed in 2014. Not everyone experiences failure. I know Caprice guys, G8 guys and truck guys with an excess of 150,000 to 200,000 miles with no issue.

I know a few Caprices with 6000 idle hours and 130,000 to 180,000 still running the DOD/AFM.

Last edited:
We don't necessarily need the extra tuner functions I just want to minimize oil consumption and reduce risk of failure by disabling afm for now. I figure I can do the mechanical delete kit if ever needed but at the moment all is well. Just want to avoid heavy oil burning in the future.

I have heard it helps with that. The Caprice doesn't use any oil. I do 5000 mile oil changes on it now with no make up oil needed. In fact the only car I own that needs make up oil is the WS6.

Like I said really happy with the range device. Works well and didn't have to tune it when it was under warranty. Now that it is out of warranty...the time has come. I have came and new rear diff I the garage.
smile.gif

I picked up a Superchips Cortex 2950 for my SS (it's now an outdated model, but can still be found). Paid $288 back in February of '14. A lot of people hate Superchips, but it's served me very well. Clearly it's been good for the car too. My mpgs went up 1-2 on average running 8 cylinders full time on the 91 tune. Yes, up. My transmission is also much happier. My trans usually quits/needs major repair around 80-100k miles according to most experts, including Triple Edge. Still going strong.

But most importantly, no more burning a full quart of full synthetic every 750 miles and smoke pouring out of the exhaust pipes. After the tune and disabling AFM, there's absolutely zero oil usage. That alone has literally made it pay for itself. I've had it for 55k, ÷750 miles/qt = 73.3 quarts of oil saved, @~$5/qt =$366.50 saved.

The only thing that caught me off guard was the first mile of driving after tuning the trans. It was a bit scary, then became clearly better than stock. Obviously it had to relearn.

If you're interested, you may be able to find it cheaper, but they're currently ~$300 used on Amazon. It may not be the "best" option, but it sure beats living with AFM.

My 09 5.3 Suburban has 160,000 miles on it. I never had a failure but my engine was using oil like crazy. I added the. . revised valve cover, the diverter in the oil pan and a Moroso catch can. Truck runs great and uses less oil.
I have the Range device and it works but I usually just drive around in M5.

I think your 11 already has all the band aids in place. I highly recommend the catch can though.

My brother's 07 Tahoe had a lifter fail and eat the cam.

Last edited:
Like Tony, I took the Superchips route for my '09 Avalanche. I picked up a used Superchips 2842 (same model would work for your Tahoe) on Ebay for $50. I only use the AFM deactivation feature but for the price and the fact you dont have to leave it plugged in it was worth it.

A guy at work bought a new 07 Silverado with a 5.3 & DOD. His maintenance style could be called casual indifference, he takes the truck to whatever oil change place is handy , sometimes before the OLM lights, sometimes after. He couldn't tell you what oil was ever in it or what filter was ever used. Short tripped 95% of the time. Last I asked he had 120K miles and it runs fine. I'd call him the perfect storm to create a failure. Only point being not every AFM engine is going to grenade, sometimes it's the luck of the parts combo you get. Deactivating it may or may not prevent a failure but it can't hurt and seems to slow oil consumption in some. The funky parts are still in there. Over on silveradosierra.com forum there are trucks with mileages to a failure all over the map both with AFM on and disabled. One guy went 209K no mods and had a non-AFM lifter fail so he did a hardware delete.

One thread here: AFM thread

I just had my buddy program it out. He works at a chevy dealership. He does a lot of trucks.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
A guy at work bought a new 07 Silverado with a 5.3 & DOD. His maintenance style could be called casual indifference, he takes the truck to whatever oil change place is handy , sometimes before the OLM lights, sometimes after. He couldn't tell you what oil was ever in it or what filter was ever used. Short tripped 95% of the time. Last I asked he had 120K miles and it runs fine. I'd call him the perfect storm to create a failure. Only point being not every AFM engine is going to grenade, sometimes it's the luck of the parts combo you get. Deactivating it may or may not prevent a failure but it can't hurt and seems to slow oil consumption in some. The funky parts are still in there. Over on silveradosierra.com forum there are trucks with mileages to a failure all over the map both with AFM on and disabled. One guy went 209K no mods and had a non-AFM lifter fail so he did a hardware delete.

One thread here: AFM thread

Yep it's manufacture related. Hardware delete, reprogram, oil, it really makes not a lick of difference. It will either have problems or not and vast majority do not have problems. Another example of men attempting to mark their territory just like using higher grade oil, mods, and additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back