Lubricating power running boards question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have power running boards on my truck. I live in WI with salt and brine on the roads in winter. I also take my truck off road once in awhile.

I need a way to lube the pins on my running boards, without all the gunk and grime sticking to the lube. Kind of rules out grease or WD-40. Will silicone spray last long enough?

What are some good options?

I would try something like Boeshield T9 or the Cable Lube from Liquid Wrench. Both dry up and leave a waxy film. It has been my experience that the Liquid Wrench stuff lasts longer.

Originally Posted by nthach
I would try a "wet" bike lube - but with any lubricant dirt will always find its way to it.

I was thinking a "dry" chain lube. The OP was worried about gunk and grime sticking to the lube which is also an issue with wet chain lubes.

Silicon spray doesn't really last in harsh conditions.

I'm guessing the pivots on the running boards are all bushings, I'd say something like a motorcycle chain wax would probably last a good long while and seal out the majority of the dirt given the lower load on the bushing and the low number of cycles they undergo compared to a motorcycle chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back