UHaul manager demanding "collateral" for a rental...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to make it easy give the guy the title. No big deal.
Once you win him over he will bend over backwards to accommodate you.
No big deal. I used to rent trucks all of the time and ran into the same issues.

Once you prove your word is gold, they take care of you. It really isn't worth sweating over.

Next..... If I were Jasper, I'd call you in and get you to sign a release and I would give you all of your money back,
apologize, and wish you good luck and be done with it. Why is that so hard to do? On to the next!

Originally Posted by dishdude
Hand the title of my vehicle over to rent a U-Haul?
lol.gif

I've rented a number of one way vehicles including U-Hauls and this was never even suggested, and not an option.

It's like you didnt even read the post...

I pulled a jeep across Tennessee with the uhaul auto transport and a brand new uhual ram 1500 with the wonderful 5.7,no issues with taking it one-way I would try a different u-haul location,then call headquarters in Arizona and share your experience

Video idea is good along with a paper document backup recognizing that he has your title. If he forged your signature, you still have the physical truck and he would openly be committing a crime so I wouldn't worry too much. If you do, go elsewhere.

Originally Posted by csandste
If he forged your signature, you still have the physical truck and he would openly be committing a crime so I wouldn't worry too much. If you do, go elsewhere.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Oh my god people, we've got to be a little more realistic here and put away our tin foil hats.

I delivered the (unsigned) title to the UHaul store, before I went to work...as promised.

Of course, the manager wasn't there when I arrived, despite him telling me that he'd be there.

I had some guy behind the counter to get him on the phone. He claimed he was only a "few minutes away". No... sorry, you said you'd be here. I wasn't going to wait, and be late for work.

I held up my end and left him an (unsigned) title. In the state of Illinois, that's a piece of paper that can be replaced for $90. Yes, $90. This state is so far in debt, they have to charge $90 to run a piece of paper through a laser printer.

Can't wait to see if he makes more demands, or flat out cancels the reservation anyway.

I just called Dad, and he just got done with an appointment.... and is about 10 minutes from the UHaul store. He's headed that way to have a few minutes with the manager over this whole situation.

Dad is a lot better at dealing with people, than I'll ever be.

Originally Posted by Zee09
Please tell us your Jasper plans since the truck seems unreliable at this point after three engines.

Yeah, it's a bummer the truck is useless due to the Jasper engine.

If you cannot use your truck for the purpose it was intended for then it's time to get rid of it. That Jasper engine will be stuck in your craw until you do.

... Come to find out, the last pickup and car transport that he sent out, is now somewhere in Pennsylvania. The nice person that he rented it to, used it as a one-way rental, and then walked away from it. So, he lost control of about $25,000 in equipment that was assigned to him. ...

Left it at a U Haul and walked away, or just left it where he was done with it and walked away?

The former sounds like a PITA but manageable; maybe theft of property. The latter definitely sounds like theft of property.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by dishdude
Hand the title of my vehicle over to rent a U-Haul?
lol.gif

I've rented a number of one way vehicles including U-Hauls and this was never even suggested, and not an option.

It's like you didnt even read the post...

I think the post was pretty clear.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

So, we came to an agreement that I'd hand over the title to my pickup, as his "assurance" that I'd come back... and my pickup will stay in my garage

If your 2004 Silverado can't tow a trailer, time for you to get something else. Poor MPG, lousy ride, can't tow. All of the disadvantages, but none of the benefits of a truck.

Why bother even owning it?

If you're going to get Uhaul trucks for towing, buy a little economy car.

Or get a new truck.

That sounds like a man who really doesn't want your business.

I've lost track of your Jasper troubles, but if you use the truck as intended and the engine blows, is there any sort of replacement warranty left?

You should have a wrap or a bunch of stickers made up that express your thoughts about Jasper in colorful language. Slap them all over the truck, and try to drive through southern Indiana as often as possible.

Originally Posted by Astro14
If your 2004 Silverado can't tow a trailer, time for you to get something else. Poor MPG, lousy ride, can't tow. All of the disadvantages, but none of the benefits of a truck.

Why bother even owning it?

If you're going to get Uhaul trucks for towing, buy a little economy car.

Or get a new truck.

+1

This should be obvious, OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back