~14 year old Techron, ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found an old bottle of Techron with the aluminum seal on the mouth. I'd guess it's about 14 years old. Is it ok to use?

I'd use it for the lawn mower if you have one.

Originally Posted by pda1122
I wouldn't risk it. Buy fresh for a few dollars if you need it

x2. Keep the sealed bottle for another 14 years and it'll be a collectible.

I found an old bottle of Prestone FSC and called their tech support. The guy said that this product (which I assume would be a product similar to Techron) was made of petroleum distillates and shouldn't be used if it was several years old, so I took it to the local household hazardous waste.

Last edited:
It will all burn. Shake it for 15 seconds and pour it in. The companies just want more of your money... it's the same BS spiel as "motor oil only has a shelf life of two years..."
lol.gif

Last year I took some 32 year old Wynn's fuel system conditioner and poured it into my daily driver..... several ounces at a time on fresh fill ups. No issues.

I'd use the 14 yr old Techron as well, esp. with a lawn mower.

Last edited:
Wow. That was the laugh I needed. Its late but that was fantastic. Go ahead and shake it,then run through a paint strainer, then use it to soak a barrel/bore to remove lead and copper. Or if its unopened then leave it alone and buy a fresh supply.

I wouldn't use it just to avoid throwing it away. 14 years is a long time... not worth the potential problems.

If you need to use a fuel system cleaner, buy a fresh bottle or just run a name brand fuel with high detergent package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back