Permanent gloves for changing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just finished a bag of 20 disposable nitrile gloves, that I've used when draining oil & coolant. Before I buy a new pack, I was wondering about all the "mechanics" gloves I've seen that are obviously not disposable, but which cost quite a bit more than this pack that I think I paid 2 bucks for.

These permanent gloves are to protect the hands while repairing the car, correct, and not for changing oil? Do they even make permanent gloves for simply changing oil?

Most of the mechanic gloves I have seen are oil/grease resistant, not oil proof.
They keep your fingers from getting cut up and banged up as much and keep them cleaner for general auto repair, but changing oil where they may get soaked, not so much.

They are thick cloth for the top of the hand, and leather lined for the palm and fingers, so they will get soaked with oil. I personally don't like them because I lose my tactile feel with them.

Dishwashing gloves work well for multiple uses- though I still go for replacement after a few changes. I like that they're thicker and protect the wrist better.

Disposable nitrile all the way. I buy them in boxes of 100 for about $12. So, each oil change costs me, what, 25 cents? Trying to clean oil soaked cloth gloves wouldn't be worth it.

I always use the Harbor Freight blue nitrile 5mil gloves that come in a 100/box when I'm going to come in contact with fluid. They are usually around $6 a box with 20% off coupon or sale.

Originally Posted by paulri
I have just finished a bag of 20 disposable nitrile gloves, that I've used when draining oil & coolant. Before I buy a new pack, I was wondering about all the "mechanics" gloves I've seen that are obviously not disposable, but which cost quite a bit more than this pack that I think I paid 2 bucks for.

These permanent gloves are to protect the hands while repairing the car, correct, and not for changing oil? Do they even make permanent gloves for simply changing oil?

Go down to Harbor Freight and buy the disposable gloves .

OK, will do.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Go down to Harbor Freight and buy the disposable gloves .

Dishwashing or similar gloves work best for me. I use oversized gloves so that it's easy to slide your hand in and out. I find that the gloves that I use to apply laquers are thicker and chemical resistant. Work great when draining very hot oil.

For more.. involved.. work on the car - suspension, brakes, bearings, etc.. pretty much the kind of thing where I'm wrenching and removing parts, and might get my hands banged up or potentially smashed - I'll use the thicker cloth/leather mechanics gloves. Better protection, and some cushioning from the potentially painful stuff...

.. but for doing oil changes, and other jobs where the majority of the work is removing a bolt, hose etc.. and where chemicals and potentially hazardous fluids are involved, I'm going to use disposable nitrile gloves. I don't want my nice gloves getting permanently imbued with used oil, used trans fluid, etc..

If I need something with a little of both, I might go with something like these latex coated work gloves with the expectation that they'll likely be thrown away afterwards.

In your case, OP, it sounds like a 100-pack of 5-mil nitrile gloves from HF is the way to go. If you want something thicker, they also have the 7-mil and 9-mil ones for a bit more.

But then no one will know you are a wrench head if you don't have the fingernails to prove it. C'mon ladies.
lol.gif

J/K I use whatever nitrite is on sale.

I purchased several pair of gloves at Advanced several years ago that I use for oil changes. Kind of a lightweight stretch material with rubberized palm and fingers. Seem to hold up to oil.

I purchased several pair of gloves at Advanced several years ago that I use for oil changes. Kind of a lightweight stretch material with rubberized palm and fingers. Seem to hold up to oil.

Are these disposable? If not, how long do you keep them before it is more of a hassle to use them, than a new pair?

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

Originally Posted by paulri
Are these disposable? If not, how long do you keep them before it is more of a hassle to use them, than a new pair? I have been using one pair for three years now. Don't know what manufacturer intended but they are fairly substantial.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
They are thick cloth for the top of the hand, and leather lined for the palm and fingers, so they will get soaked with oil. I personally don't like them because I lose my tactile feel with them.

Not Genuine Leather, they use synthetic leather (eg: vinyl).

Originally Posted by StevieC
But then no one will know you are a wrench head if you don't have the fingernails to prove it. C'mon ladies.
lol.gif

J/K I use whatever nitrite is on sale.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Post of the day material here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back