2 oil changes per filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, comments appreciated, when doing 2 oil filter changes per filter

Take off filter, let drain out what will drain out, then put back on OR

leave that extra cup or 2 of old oil in the engine with a 4 quart capacity.

On my BMW motorcycle, it really likes 5W40 rotella in the winter. But once it hits 80 ish the engine is supposed to have 20W50 (use castrol activo) and is much quieter. Normally I will ride 2K in the winter, and about 6 to 8 K in the summer. So I am draining oil with less than 8 K on it, and it is pretty clean. Brown, not black.

BMW filter is like $18. OK, there are cheaper ones but it is what I use. For 6K miles, no biggie. But for 2 K miles, seems a waste. So in the fall, I take it off, drain (it has no drain back valve) refill (since with no drain back valve, can fill from the outside in) and then put it back on. Part of the reason is changing brands. I do not want that cup of different brand oil in there. I am careful to keep it clean Never had a leak. Been doing it for years now.

What would you do?

Rod

I would leave the filter alone rather than removing and draining it......some people believe that a little old (residual) oil can re-establish the oil film quicker...

If you're going to reuse the filter for more than one OCI, leave it on and don't take it off.

Once you unscrew the filter, replace it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If you're going to reuse the filter for more than one OCI, leave it on and don't take it off.

Once you unscrew the filter, replace it
smile.gif

Absolutely!

Leave it on. The base gasket takes quite a set in the compressed state, so IMO it shouldn't be disturbed.

Car manufactures (like Honda) that say to use the oil filter for two OCIs don't say to remove the filter and drain it before reuse.

I have spun off and on used filters many, many, many, many times in my life (for various reasons, but usually to drain them)

I have never, ever had one leak after.

However, I am now in the camp of "leave it on" now that I know the oil left in it does no harm whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I have spun off and on used filters many, many, many, many times in my life (for various reasons, but usually to drain them)

However, I am now in the camp of "leave it on" now that I know the oil left in it does no harm whatsoever.

Yeah, why remove and drain it and go through that much trouble ... might as well just put a new filter on. I had a 1989 Toyota pickup truck that was a pain to change the oil filter on, so would do two OCIs on filter, but left it on because of the hassle to even mess with the oil filter.

I did this one time with FU. took off the filter at 5k and drain the oil, the O ring seem hard and smash in, it wont seal correctly , end up replace the filter. if you do 2 oil change, leave the filter in, BUT BUT BUT after a while my conclude is one filter 1 one oil change rule, just like you the the shower and reuse the old pant / clothes , if you want do long oil change 8-10k, use good brand full synthetic oil and leave the filter thru out the oil change.

Originally Posted by Linctex

This ^^^^^^^^^^

There's absolutely nothing wrong with unscrewing the filter - turning it upside down to drain it and watching the oil lines above that filter drain out - then reinstall the same, used filter.
I've done it 10-15 times without issue.

I see there are others that think like me. I always have a new filter handy just in case. If you compare the gasket of the old filter to the new one, you can feel no difference, Not deformed, not harder, just oily.

Thanks for the reply's,

Rod

If you have been doing it that way for years with no problems or leaks, then why change anything.

I will use an oil filter for 2 oil changes but I do not remove them. I have never had any problems either.

You sound like a typical BMW rider and engineer. Worried about some eventuality. My dad is an engineer.

It's perfectly OK to use a filter for multiple oil changes. With a healthy engine, an oil filter can go far more than just 2 oil changes before introducing any kind of restriction. For example there are aircraft engines that have 100 hour oil change intervals. People tend to find that the oil is due for change at 25 hours. The filter remains installed for 4 oil changes! When it's cut apart, nothing is found in the pleats. But remember, the engine holds 12 quarts and the filter about 1/2 quart.

However, the reason for an oil change is generally to drain out contaminates. These contaminants include carbon, fuel and combustion byproducts, moisture and so on. As obsessed as we are here at BITOG about oil level, oil lifespan, TBN (total base number) , remaining additives and so on, it's good to remember that those contaminates really do need to be eliminated.

So, changing the filter is a way to ensure we are eliminating far more of those contaminates.

There is more oil left in other areas of the engine than the tiny amount in the filter. You arent getting that out unless you do an secondary change.

FWIW Honda themselves susbscribes to a filter change every other oil change and their maintenance minders flag the filter with an A/B
A meaning just to the oil- B meaning do the oil and filter both.
Their factory filters are only 60% efficient at 20 microns.

Tons of life left in almost any filter after 1 OCI - this is why we have filters rated to 10, 15 and 20K miles.

Do you throw away half used windshield wipers? tires? paper towels? or any other product with a given lifespan at 1/2 its life or less?

Buy a good one - Leave it on. If you bother to take it off at all - replace it. Gaskets arent meant for multiple crushes.

UD

I do two OCIs in my Honda with the Ultra, and leave it alone on the oil change when I'm not replacing it. I find that part of the oil change messy, so it's nice to have an "easier" oil change every other one. With my wife's BMW, which uses a cartridge filter, I can get it from above so I'm not even going to change the filter at the same time as the oil changes at all anymore, I will simply change the filter every 30,000 km and do the oil changes on a different schedule (generally once a year or 15,000 km, whichever comes first)

I still change the filter on every OCI on my Corvette but only because it's still under warranty and I don't want any hassle in case of a warranty claim.

I guess I'm old school but I always thought the purpose of doing an oil change was to get rid of that old, spent, no longer serviceable, used up oil and to get rid of as much of it as you can.

Everyone knows, or ought to know, that some residual oil will always remain in the engine, and that can't be helped, so it makes no sense to me to leave a used oil filter on that holds this used, spent, no longer serviceable oil in it.

Same goes with a filter, even if you remove it and drain it. It is used, likely somewhat dirty/clogged with debris so why take the chance and reuse it again?

Some say they are more efficient the dirtier they get, and that very well may be, but some say when to are getting nearly completely clogged up, the purpose of them drops off rather quickly. My question is, how does one know when that is happening and how do they know their filter hasn't gone into the bypass mode?

Lots run 2 OC's per filter but, like I said in another thread, why not 3, 4 or more? Where do you draw the line or is there data somewhere that reads you're crazy to run a filter any longer than for 2 OC's?
21.gif

Irv
Please declare what non-serviceable, no longer usable oil is?
I'll bet less than 10% of us are in that category, as we empty our used oil pans and toss our filters away.
Most of us change oil and filters - with plenty of use still left. Probably 90% of what gets changed is still serviceable for thousands of miles.

Average filter is lucky to hold 6-7 ounces of oil anyways. That's peanuts and irrelevant in today's vehicles that average 5-6 quarts.

In a Honda K24 engine, the total oil capacity is 5.7qts. During an oil change it only needs 4 to fill it. 4.5 if the filter is changed.

It means that 25% of the oil in the engine is old. The teeny bit in the filter makes no difference.

I leave it alone. My current GTI has a 10k interval and I do 5k changes with the filter every 10. My previous PI Accord I would go the full 10k until the 15% light came on.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Irv
Please declare what non-serviceable, no longer usable oil is?
I'll bet less than 10% of us are in that category, as we empty our used oil pans and toss our filters away.
Most of us change oil and filters - with plenty of use still left. Probably 90% of what gets changed is still serviceable for thousands of miles.

Average filter is lucky to hold 6-7 ounces of oil anyways. That's peanuts and irrelevant in today's vehicles that average 5-6 quarts.

Oil that, in the opinion of the owner or the OLM, reads that it is time to change it.

I agree, most oil is likely still serviceable when it comes out, but, imo, like I already stated, if you are doing an oil change, isn't the purpose of that to get as much used oil out as possible?
I usually drain my vehicles for around 1/2 hour to get as much out as possible. Time and other factors come into play that I don't go longer, but I feel good that my oil is down to a drip every 5 seconds or so.
Leaving a used oil filter on, with dirty oil in it, makes no sense to me as I see no reason to let our vehicles engines drain for any longer than necessary. I've read on here how some will go longer to ensure they have gotten the most out as possible but have chosen to run their filters for 2 or OC's or longer?
crazy2.gif

Like I said, I guess I am old school?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back