Switch From Fram Ultra To OEM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use all Fram Ultras in my vehicles below - but now I question if it matters in my GDI Sonata because I am running < 5,000 mile OCI's due to GDI engine requirements .
While Hyundai oil filters are made well - their filter media is average at best ... With such a low OCI on a GDI engine it may be more cost effective to just use the OEM filter OR simply use the Fram Ultra for two OCI's (roughly 10K miles on an oil filter rated for up to 20K miles ) . One thing I do like about the Fram Ultra is the outstanding filter media (much better than Hyundai) and the nice grip surface on the end cap ... What would you do ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
What would you do ?

I would not overthink it. You can use ANY filter with 5000 oci's.

I ran an ultra for my last two oci's, but went back to oem filters as I got a good buy on 5 of them. I only put about 4500 miles a year on my Pilot and will change out the filter yearly. Just do what makes you happy.

I will go back to OEM next OCI in a 2017 Elantra. Used an Ultra this OCI. I bought a 6 pack on Ebay. So $5 per filter. Dealership sells OEM filters for $5 per filter. I change my oil every 6-months or 3,750 miles. Does not mater which oil or filter. I care more about Hyundai nit-picking warranty if needed vs what other people recommend. After my last two OEM filters in stock I will be sticking with Ultra. Long term it may not make one bit of difference which filter I use. Hyundai designed a good engine with no manufacturing defects or they did not. OEM vs Ultra is a non-issue for me.

I agree with reusing the ultra for 2 or 3 oil changes or 15,000 miles.
What most don't understand is that all filters become seasoned thru use, by that I mean the filter media becomes more efficient at capturing smaller and smaller particles during use. New filters have larger pores in the media that become filled with particles thru use.
A filter near the end of its life cycle is more efficient at capturing small particles, on the other hand the flow rate also decreases.
The ideal scenario would be to use the filter until the pressure drop across the media increases to a value below the bypass value on lube filters.
Large trucks use indicators on their air filters to indicate when replacement is needed.
Industry measures pressure drop across lube & hydraulic filters as replacement criteria.
90cummins

Originally Posted by Onetor
Use Ultra for several OCI's. Personal decision.

Same here.... it'll never be close to needing to be changed, even after 15,000 miles

Originally Posted by Ducati996
I agree with reusing the ultra for 2 or 3 oil changes or 15,000 miles.
What most don't understand is that all filters become seasoned thru use, by that I mean the filter media becomes more efficient at capturing smaller and smaller particles during use. New filters have larger pores in the media that become filled with particles thru use.
A filter near the end of its life cycle is more efficient at capturing small particles, on the other hand the flow rate also decreases.
The ideal scenario would be to use the filter until the pressure drop across the media increases to a value below the bypass value on lube filters.
Large trucks use indicators on their air filters to indicate when replacement is needed.
Industry measures pressure drop across lube & hydraulic filters as replacement criteria.
90cummins

Not always true according to this SAE paper.
https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/650866/

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/650866/preview/

And this from Purolator/Mann+Hummel research.

Oil Filter Efficiency vs Loading Time.JPG

To add ... from the info I've seen oil filters that are rated high in the ISO 4548-12 test spec can not achieve that high efficiency rating if they shed lots of captured particles (like shown in the graph above) by the very definition of how the resulting ISO efficiency is calculated from the test data.

Looks like that paper was written in 1965.
Filter media and lubricants have changed significantly.
That may have been true 53 years ago.
90cummins

90cummins

The Purolator/Mann+Hummel research was very recent, and shows more accurately what's going on as the filter loads up and the delta-p increases.

You have any technical links (like an SAE paper or something similar) that specifically shows data where the filter becomes more efficient with use? I've never seen one.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
90cummins

The Purolator/Mann+Hummel research was very recent, and shows more accurately what's going on as the filter loads up and the delta-p increases.

You have any technical paper links that specifically shows data where the filter becomes more efficient with use? I've never seen one.

I would also like to see the data that proves that 2 OC's per filter is acceptable but 3 isn't? I mean something must be out there that shows pushing an oil filter to 3 OC's is bad or else what's stopping people from going 4, 5 or 6 per oil filter?
Is it just common sense one could conclude that after 2 OC's the filter should be changed or has it been proven conclusively?

I know some do 2 or more but I guess due to my age and my past experiences changing oil and filters, I will remain in the one oil filter per OC camp.

As to the OP, have a look at Tough Guard filters (TG's) That is what all 3 of my vehicles will be exclusively using once the Ultras for my wife's car run out.

Last edited:
Or you can use a TG or OCOD instead, both can easily handle 5k intervals for less. I use the TG because I rarely go more than 8k miles on a change so it's a waste to use a filter that can go 20k in my mind, plus I'm in the one filter, one OCI camp too!

I used to swear by OEM Toyota filters for my Tacoma but like you, after finding out how poor their filtering abilities are, went with Fram. OEM filters are good quality, but they don't seem to have engine longevity in mind. Toyota's are 50% at 20 microns, which isn't good at all.

For a Kia or Hyundai, under warranty, I would bite the bullet and run OEM, changed religiously, and document EVERYTHING! Too much potential risk involved if there's an engine failure, not worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back