Explain to me API SN+ vs MB-XXXXXX oil spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to the Lubrzol site and put in the different oil specs of different oils. I put in API SN+/ACEA A5/B5 and various Mercedes Benz oil specs that Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 has. The Mobil 1 ESP has more ant-wear and anti bore wear additives if I go by the Lubrizol site chart. Then say Mobil 1 extended 5w-30.

I own a new Hyundai GDI Turbo and all they spec is API SN and ACEA A5/B5 and thats it in 5-30 or 5-40. I have over 5% fuel dilution @2,000 miles @polaris Labs with Amsoil SS 5-30 in late summer. Minnesota winters are coming up so lets increase it 2 fold @2,000 miles I am looking for a cheaper oil because I will have to dump early. If I look at all the specs Amsoil approve to with their 5w-30 SS they don't have any mercedes benz specs that have greater antiwear/anti soot,anti piston deposits, and anti sludge ect..... Mobil 1 ESP does have 3 and I can get it cheaper. I have read here that ESP has a good chunk of POE to get these ratings vs Amsoil that has more PAO. ESP is rating for gasoline engines. Can I go by Lubrzols chart to find a better oil through check marking approved specs? I have also found that Mobil 1 ESP beats any Pennzoil Euro L and all their other API Dexos 1 Gen 2 Platinum and Euro oils. Even though Mobil 1 ESP does not have a Dexos 1 Gen 2 rating, it has 1,000 ppm calcium and low sodium, so it should be a LSPI oil that I need/want/have to have since I get full boost at 1,700 rpm . Your thoughts please

If you are truly worried about fuel dilution, then why not use conventional oil that is API SN+ and change every 3,000 miles or three months?

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
If you are truly worried about fuel dilution, then why not use conventional oil that is API SN+ and change every 3,000 miles or three months?

All the papers I have read on fuel dilution states full synthetic is superior to conventional for this problem. Plus, I am on boost a lot and my turbo, "she is a hot one" Sorry I don't want shaft coking and high oil oxidation a conventional would give me and my car sits in -20 Minnesota winters also. I don't like pumping honey.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1051856/1

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...obil-1-esp-formula-5w-30-voa#Post4898886

Yep, I have seen those too. Thanks for the links.

I may need to reword my post, so lets try here.

Having an oil that has Mercedes Benz specd high anti-wear everything that shows on the Lubrzol site and is far superior to just API SN+, which after researching it is really a average mundane oil spec as far as some more demanding euro manufacture car specs as I see it (I could be wrong). I know I need to be at or above 11.9 @ 100C and have a 3.4 or above HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC. I really should go with a 5w- 40 or 0w-40, but I keep coming back to this oil for some reason. Since I am on boost a lot for some reason I keep coming back to wanting the high additives for anti bore wear the Mercedes-Benz spec has. I could be just way over top on this I know, but why not get this validated spec if I can. I will use this oil in winter and may switch to a 0/5-40 for the summer.

I guess I would hope I could get an answer from one of the oil engineers here if having the MB spec is really a plus to strive for for my high boost use, or these specs just bunk and it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Plus, I am on boost a lot and my turbo, "she is a hot one" Sorry I don't want shaft coking and high oil oxidation a conventional would give me and my car sits in -20 Minnesota winters also. I don't like pumping honey.

Leaving your other arguments aside, you do realize that a conventional 5w-30 SN/GF-5 would very likely have better MRV and CCS numbers than a 5w-30 C3....

I believe there are two flavors of M1 5W30 ESP now and I know that at least one of them meets the dexos2 standard, which includes a test for LSPI mitigation (GM wanted to be able to spec dexos2 across the board for diesel and gasoline engines in Europe).
If the ESP you are looking at is dexos2, it should be a good choice for your DIT engine at least as far as LSPI is concerned.

Have you been hiding the last while?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back