new tires pick up more nails than old ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely hate getting new tires cause within about 5000 miles I always pickup a screw or something and usually it's in an area where they won't fix it. I think the thickness of the tread helps pick stuff up.

That always happens to me, too, but I do find the older they get, the worse they get. Some years back, the old Audi was due for new tires, and I mean soon. It started to pick up every nail on the street, and because the tread was so thin, it didn't take much to penetrate to the point of leaking.

Every set I've bought new in the last 10 years, I've had to have one patched within a week.

IIRC
Statistically 90% of tire punctures happen in the last 10% of tread-life.

new tires pick up less "nails" and sustain less damage from them.

However tire damage to new tires is the most painful.

Stay in the travel lane and you'll pick up less stuff. The people I know that have flats all the time also by some coincidence weave all over the road.

buy from discount tire and they give you a free prorated warranty. They dont talk about it much but it is there.

When I worked at Sears I loved hearing people say stuff like "O I don't want Goodyear, the last set I had I got a lot of nails" like that somehow is the tire's fault.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
When I worked at Sears I loved hearing people say stuff like "O I don't want Goodyear, the last set I had I got a lot of nails" like that somehow is the tire's fault.

I knew someone who was going to buy a new car before a road trip because she hit nails with her last one.

And she had a Honda Pilot with like 265 series tires which is just more footprint for trouble.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino

I knew someone who was going to buy a new car before a road trip because she hit nails with her last one.

And she had a Honda Pilot with like 265 series tires which is just more footprint for trouble.
lol.gif

I would full on give them what is now known as the Tucker Carlson confused face when they said that. I also liked the people who declined the road hazard coverage because "I have AAA, they fix my flats" okie dokie.

Someone I know is convinced to only buy tires with no sipes, because the siping and closer tread blocks are prone to picking up nails.

I had a staple gun nail in my brand new tire. It looks like a piece of wire sticking out. Took it back to the tire store. They grabbed a bottle of soapy water solution and urged me to pull it out and see how deep it went. Luckily, it didn't go that deep and cause any trouble. But yeah, new tires are magnets for nails.

I think the relative softness and stickiness of new tires may cause this. Also the deeper treads pick up more rocks!

Originally Posted by hatt
Stay in the travel lane and you'll pick up less stuff. The people I know that have flats all the time also by some coincidence weave all over the road.

lol.gif
19.gif

They prorate the tires. No need for road hazard. The last set I bought I picked up a nail right on the edge of the tire like 3 days after they put new tires on. The guy just prorated it 90 percent and I got a new $175.00 tire for $30

Originally Posted by hatt

I preach this constantly to my wife & teenage daughter....They like to drive right of center on the roadway.

My mom gets a ton of nails in her tires. Knock on wood, I'm somewhat lucky.

My brother bought new tires for his car hauler trailer. Brand spanking new Carlisles. The first time he drove on them, he got a huge bolt right into the tire. Somehow Discount Tire was able to patch it.

He's been borrowing my Camry since April and just got a nail in the sidewall of a rear tire. Discount Tire replaced for $16 for a new tire with their road hazard warranty. I'm a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back