Screwdrivers for doorknobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are all the cool kids using?

I have to remove some that appear to have abnormally large knobs diameter wise and getting to the screws are a real pain since the angle between the screwdriver and screw head is so severe.

I've done the job many times before so I don't know why I am struggling now. I am replacing them with Kwikset knobs with the "smart key" setup and they seem easier, but the severe angle is still there nonetheless. These do have an ornamental cover that hides the hardware so maybe this is what's causing the issue?

Could you use a #2 bit on a 1/4 inch wrench just long enough to get them started/ finished?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stalwart-30-Piece-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-with-Flex-Shaft/391263780003?epid=681817891&hash=item5b19237ca3:g:vq0AAOSw37tV-cUH

sawzall and a new doorknob.
smile.gif

or if your sentimental

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-off...d19DM3gIVD9lkCh20TwFLEAQYBiABEgJ8uvD_BwE

Flex shafts are good but a lot of them have about 1.25 inches at the end plus the length of the bit would be too long to fit back there.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Flex shafts are good but a lot of them have about 1.25 inches at the end plus the length of the bit would be too long to fit back there.

Yes, I see where that may be a issue that now.

Pretty sure removing the handle precedes removing the screws.
If not, a Wadsworth Super Deluxe Mini Ratchet & Screwdriver Set would be able to get in.

The classic Chapman ratchet would work, though there are newer ratchets with more clicks per rev. I just angle-in a Philips and suffer until it's done.

I've linked their non-US motorcycle kit, in keeping with the BITOG forum. I have their BIG everything-set (though they've added more everything since I've bought it, sigh...)
Motorcycle kit
1916flyer.jpg

Last edited:
All the knobs I have replaced in my house I have removed the knob before touching any screws. There should be a little tab that you push in and work one of the knobs loose.

I'll have to look into the removable knob.

I believe the troubled ones are Brinks brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back