Can An FL820s Be Used In Place Of An FL500s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 Mustang GT 5.0 which calls for the FL500s filter. Supposedly the 820s will fit but is it ok to use as a substitute? The Ford Racing 820s can be used on this car, so it makes me wonder. It would be nice to only stock one filter for my Fords.

iirc, some filter brands that have consolidated their lineup, (ie: quakerstate filters) call for their fl500s equivalent on engines that take the 820.

my dad used to have a freestyle with the old 3L Duratec, which i belive takes the 820s, when i got a QS filter for it, the one their book called for was their 500s equivalent.

of course i could be remembering wrong, take internet advice with a grain of salt, YMMV, etc,etc.

The Ford/Lincoln 4.6L DOHC engines (265-275 hp) used the FL820s. I used many of them over the years. As long is fits and spins on your Mustang should be fine for a 3K-4K mile OCI. I used the Fram XG2 as well for 2X-3X OCI's. I use the FL820s for one "shorter" OCI.

The only limitation is space.

The 820S or XG2 sized filters are a real bear to change on the 4X4 F150s with the 5.4.... the FL500/XG10575 is so, so much easier to use on those vehicles.

They are essentially the same filter, either one will protect your engine fine.

The FL820/XG2 size probably had less pressure differential due to having more surface area of media.

Originally Posted by Zee09
Neither MC filter mentioned is really that good. I'd go to a Wix or Ultra
The 820's is the worst of the MC lineup.

Many more reports of torn FL820S than the FL500S. Not sure if the bypass valve setting is the same for both. FL500S bypass valve is set to 17 PSI per Purolator who makes them.
There must be a reason why Ford specs the FL500S for the 2015+ Coyote.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Many more reports of torn FL820S than the FL500S. Not sure if the bypass valve setting is the same for both. FL500S bypass valve is set to 17 PSI per Purolator who makes them.

+1 ZeeOSix

I can not in good conscience recommend the FL820S. It is Motorcraft's black sheep of their filters.

Originally Posted by WellOiled

I can not in good conscience recommend the FL820S. It is Motorcraft's black sheep of their filters.

Ironically it's probably the most recommended filter for most Ford V-6 & V-8 for the last 20+ years, until the FL500S came on board. That's all I'm going to say about the FL820S
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Amen Jim!!

Originally Posted by Whimsey

Ironically it's probably the most recommended filter for most Ford V-6 & V-8 for the last 20+ years, until the FL500S came on board. That's all I'm going to say about the FL820S
grin2.gif

For MANY people, mainly Walmart shoppers, it was usually either the FL820 or the ST2 for many many many years

Weirdly, I was thinking about the opposite-I have a few Purolator Synthetic (pre-Boss) in the FL500S size that I was going to use in place of an FL820S (MGM 4.6 2V).

The Coyote has always called for the 500s.

And on my 2013 F150

They have different bypass ratings, 820s is 16psi and the 500s is 8 psi I believe the last time I checked. That said, I'd keep using the 500s as it's a much better filter per the C&P's on this board. As stated, the 820s has a very poor track record here for tearing and other quality issues. My Contour calls for a 820s but I use the 500s on it instead. I think the reason the 500s doesn't tear like the 820s is the lower bypass rating.

Since your car is new, I wouldn't use the wrong spec filter simply for warranty reasons alone. Ford has been known to be very finicky about oil filters when it comes to warranty issues.

Originally Posted by jongies3
They have different bypass ratings, 820s is 16psi and the 500s is 8 psi I believe the last time I checked. That said, I'd keep using the 500s as it's a much better filter per the C&P's on this board. As stated, the 820s has a very poor track record here for tearing and other quality issues. My Contour calls for a 820s but I use the 500s on it instead. I think the reason the 500s doesn't tear like the 820s is the lower bypass rating.

According to Purolator's Project Engineering Manager (Todd Vick), the FL-500S bypass valve is set to 17 PSI. Got a link to where the 8 PSI bypass setting came from for the FL-500S?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2307599

idk what with the FL820S, its solid $3.85 oil filter. solid 5k 6 month oil filter. I travel cross the country with this filter before on my expedition. drive to california, drive to wyoming, colorado..... cold/hot it start up fine. dont loose a single drop of oil and oil clean when i got back home. many cobra mustang collector still using this filter as factory OEM part. I still have the little longer version of FL820s before they short it up a bit. it still my first pick if my car require it. i pick the wix xp for my cobra before its wire back and full synthetic and its good for every other years oil change, since i put under 100 miles a years on it. If I do 6 month oil change, FL820S or any motorcraft is my choice when it come to ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back