2007 Tacoma - ABS and Brake Warning Lamps Illuminated

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, PreRunner, V6, automatic, 206,000 miles on the truck. This is the first time this has happened. Was driving home from work. Went over a pretty deep dip at an overpass and a few seconds later, the warning lamps came on. Makes me think a wire got stretched and shorted or something.

It was raining, so I went to a parking lot and got up to speed and braked pretty hard and sure enough, ABS is not working.

Anybody run into this on this truck?

Have a code scanner or access to one, scan for ABS codes. Most auto parts stores can loan you one or scan for you. Could be a number of things, I've seen bad speed sensor, tone ring mission teeth due to rocks, like you said broken sensor wire, need a brake job, etc. Narrow it down to which wheel and check it out. If not at the wheel then move up to the ABS module, master cylinder, etc. Good luck

Originally Posted by StevieC
First thing I would do is scan it with a scan-tool that can read the ABS module and see what the DTC is.

YMMV, but my local Advance Auto was able to read Pontiac Vibe ABS codes with their scanner.

You can connect a DVOM to the wheel speed sensors & check if there's any AC signal output. Jack up the wheel & spin the wheel. Check all 4 to get an idea what you should be by spinning the wheels by hand

Most probably you got some dirt on a ABS sensor and now one or multiple sensors cannot read properly...in that case you will have to lift your car and remove its wheels and...do some wrenching
smile.gif

Last edited:
Check for codes first, sounds like some dirt got lodged into an wheel sensor or one shorted out. Some Toyotas use a electrohydraulic booster assembly that's almost like the brake actuator in a Prius or a hybrid Camry/Highlander/RAV4 and their Lexus versions.

The ABS and VSC lights should be on as well...

I don't think a dip could do it. Maybe a slash of water in the wrong spot? Did it go away (ABS working again) when i dried out?

also check the fluid level. some have reported the level needed to be at the MAX mark only to make it work again.

I snagged an ABS wire on my ball joint stud on my Olds Silhouette van. It happens. Yanked the wires straight out of the sealed wheel bearing assembly. And it happened to me on a large bump.

Techstream (dongle and software) is <$20 on ebay and does wonders for toyotas.

Well, I got a coupon for a free diagnostic code reading at the Toyota dealership. Just across the highway from me, so I took it over there. Their reader indicated that the LH rear wheel speed sensor was not communicating, and presented me with an estimate of $463.

This still did not tell me 100% that the sensor was bad.

Could have done some testing to determine that, but, after crawling under the truck and looking, I could see nothing visually wrong with any of the sensors or harnesses.

Decided to roll the dice and buy 2 eBay wheel speed sensors for the grand total of $11.96 (one OEM sensor is $196 from an online Toyota wholesale parts dealer).

Yes, these are Chinese copies. And there are certain components I wouldn't cheap out on. But if this lasts half as long as the OEM, I'm happy. After all it's a plug ‘n play sensor.

Will update if this fixes the problem when the sensor arrives in about a week.

So, I just got around to pulling the left rear wheel speed sensor, per Toyota's diagnosis, and, the plan was to just pop a new eBay sensor in ($11 for 2 sensors). However, on removing the sensor, it had diff oil on it. Is that normal, or, does that mean a leaking axle seal?

These go into the Axle Housing....Correct? If so, Yes the sensor & reluctor/tone wheel operate in gear oil. Not that gear oil would effect the sensor anyway.

Make sure the "tip" of the chicom sensor is the same length as the OE sensor being removed.

The wheel speed sensor or 'ABS Skid Control Rotor', as Toyota calls it, is outboard of the axle seal. If it has gear oil on it you have a leaking axle seal, and you'll likely find gear oil on your brake drum/shoes too. You'll need to pull the axle, replace the seal, and depending on whether the gear oil has washed the grease out of the wheel bearing, that might need to be replaced too. There's a retainer where the seal rides, and if that is too deeply grooved, you should replace that too.

If gear oil did make it's way out to the brakes, replace the brake shoes, thoroughly clean the gear oil off the drum, and check to make sure that the axle vent isn't clogged.

Originally Posted by 02SE
The wheel speed sensor or 'ABS Skid Control Rotor', as Toyota calls it, is outboard of the axle seal. If it has gear oil on it you have a leaking axle seal, and you'll likely find gear oil on your brake drum/shoes too. You'll need to pull the axle, replace the seal, and depending on whether the gear oil has washed the grease out of the wheel bearing, that might need to be replaced too. There's a retainer where the seal rides, and if that is too deeply grooved, you should replace that too.

If gear oil did make it's way out to the brakes, replace the brake shoes, thoroughly clean the gear oil off the drum, and check to make sure that the axle vent isn't clogged.

Thanks. The ABS/Brake warning lamps went off after I replaced the sensor, but came back on a coupe of days later on my way to work. So, yeah, looks like I'll be doing axle seals, minimum. I'll also do some research into what it takes to replace wheel bearings while I'm in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back