Toyota 2GR-FE Motor Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I've got a Lexus IS350 with the 2GR-FE. I haven't looked this deep into motor oils and would like to see what your recommendations are. The car gets driven all-year round in Toronto where it gets as hot as +40 degrees celsius in the summer months, and up to -30 degrees celsius in the winter months. The car gets driven to redline pretty often.
The car also gets an oil change at around twice a year (once before the summer and once before the winter - this happens to be where my 8000KM OCI has fallen to). My question is, i'm currently using Pennzoil UP 0W20. Does anybody recommend the Caterham Blend (TGMO 0W20 + 0W40 Blend) for these motors or can you guys offer other better alternatives?
I'd want to run an oil that's thin on startup that can offer protection on once the motor gets heated up.

What are your weight recommendations and brand recommendations?
Thanks

Just run the 0w20 for the winter and the 0w40 in the summer.

It's a fast revving undersquare engine with a timing chain and port injection.
You could probably get away with 0w40 once a year.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr

Not a fast revver, maybe compared to Chevy. And it is a di port combo. Soot, high compression, it's all there.

I'd run a thicker grade per Toyota recommendation if it is driven to he77 and back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dyusik

Not a fast revver, maybe compared to Chevy. And it is a di port combo. Soot, high compression, it's all there.

I'd run a thicker grade per Toyota recommendation if it is driven to he77 and back.

Addendum- I was wrong below- op you have direct and port injected 2gr FSE

I would run thicker oil twice a year. 0w40and 0w40..
He said 2gr fe not 2gr fks(port and direct modified Atkinson capable)or 2gr fse(direct and port )
It is the same as the 1gr Fe but with a3.5liter nominal displacement.

The Fe has less soot and carbon than the fks or fse so it would be a good candidate for extended intervals. Easy on oil.

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG. I really like IdeMitsu Advanced Moly. You can find it cheaper by searching for sales on the internet. Pennzoil Ultra is a great oil. Use what the Owner's manual recommends.

If want to get crazy try Redline motor oil. But, Im sure it's crazy expensive in your neck of the woods. Every vehicle/driver are different. Good luck

with the hi-rev's and chain I'd shake off the w20 for sure..try a 0/40 5/40 ...bet you'll hear an improvement.

Last edited:

I owe you an apology and stand corrected.
the 2gr fe never was used in the IS350 and you are correct. The OP used 2gr Fe nominclature but it is obviously and 2gr fse in an IS350

I woudn't bother blending, particularly in that it won't help the cold start numbers; CATERHAM will tell you that, too. Warranty and OEM recommendations aside, there would be nothing wrong with any A3/B4 in 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40, or 5w-40, or an HDEO in such grades. An ACEA E6 HDEO will have elevated HTHS, still be perfectly fine in the cold, be good for long intervals, and not have excessive phosphorus, if that's a worry.

Why not simply run the mfr recommended 5w30?
21.gif

That's what I run in mine with no problems.

Originally Posted by lloydlim996
... The car gets driven to redline pretty often.

If it is really "pretty often" often .... use Redline for "redline".
shocked2.gif

Edit:
Adding grade for you. Since u like 0Wx20 and tgmo ...
Redline 0Wx20 in winter assuming u are not redlining too often in winter. They also have 0Wx30 for winter just in case.
Redline 5Wx30 in summer
grin2.gif

Last edited:
0W40 or 0w30 year round.
Why run anything else when 0w40s are readily available for the same price as 5w30s? 0w40 is superior to 5w30 in every way! Easier starts(not just the cold ones), better high temp protection, no MPG penalty, and 0w40 oils are usually rated for extended OCIs as well (if that is what you're into, I stick with 5k).

LL04 rated 0w30 is what I would run if I lived in Canada and had a vehicle with that engine in my stable.

not the 2grfe...simple port inj...

edit: nvm I see it's been worked out...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earthbound

not the 2grfe...simple port inj...9

edit: nvm I see it's been worked out...

For clarification the fe was horizontally installed the fse is longitudally installed for the RWD IS platforms.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
21.gif

Actually the recommended is 0w-20 but yes 5w-30 is ok to use also.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
21.gif

Actually the recommended is 0w-20 but yes 5w-30 is ok to use also.

Not according to the owners manual and oil fill cap on my IS350.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back