2014 Harley Davidson 103B - 4121miles 24 Months - M1 V-Twin TAN/TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go for your enjoyment.

The only thing of note is that the bike was "Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Tuned" about half way through the OCI. It had a number of auto tune runs on it.

(Save the hate mail it is all 50 state legal and is not loud)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Filter is HERE: Cut Open Harley Davidson Super Premium 5. 24 Months. 4124 Miles

From filter thread...

Originally Posted by WellOiled
Is the TBN & TAN at the cross over point? Or maybe the better question is what would the condemnation limits be for this oil? Very cool. Thanks for the C&P and the UOA.

So now that's the $64,000 question isn't it (I'm dating myself with that aren't I?)

The TBN and TAN are at crossover (I'm becoming convinced that doesn't mean anything) and it is thickening up (This oil is known for that in Harley Motors) Insolubles remain low and flash point is high...

I plan to run the new sump another 24 months unless the mileage accumulation changes significantly...

That oil will do 5k easy. Try the Valvoline Syn 20-50. I like it better and I've always been a Mobil 1 user. Engine seems quieter and you will get the same kind of good reports. A little cheaper too.

Thanks for posting.

I wonder if there comes a point with Mobil in that it stops getting thicker or does one just make sure to change it on time.

If I'm correct looks like it's up to about a 60 which is fine I'm just wondering if it keeps going higher.

Blackstone should be getting mine Tuesday, hopefully by Saturday.

Now about that stage one... 🙃 Happy with it?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, the report looks very good. I do about the same mileage and the same two year interval on my VStar, using M1 4T 10W-40. I used to fight the urge to change it every fall, but posts like yours on BITOG have shown me that a two year interval makes sense.

Y'all are welcome of course.

On the SE Stage1. I like it fine It made the tone a little deeper. It always ran fine and still does. I installed it BTW... That was easy.

On the thickening, I'm going to guess that at some point the insolubles are going to start to rise and the TBN drop. When that will be? Would it go 3 Years? I agree it could go longer.

Note also that it starts on the upper end of the Viscosity range already according to the VOA I had run:

[Linked Image]

We were discussing Synthetic vs Conventional on another thread and the possibility that a Synthetic has a wider natural spread... if we consider the behavior of that oil in contrast to this one, we have a bit of a puzzle at least to me. It doesn't really matter, but it is interesting.

I'm completely comfortable with this oil on a 2 year schedule though.

I can see why you would be comfortable on a 2 year cycle but wouldn't agree one could go longer, regardless of everything else after 2 years its a 60 weight oil, the big question would be if at 3 years would it be a 70 weight?

To me in the south, 60 is fine, but I do wonder if its sludging and wonder what is happening to the 20 pumpability.

Just thoughts of this morning …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I can see why you would be comfortable on a 2 year cycle but wouldn't agree one could go longer, regardless of everything else after 2 years its a 60 weight oil, the big question would be if at 3 years would it be a 70 weight?

To me in the south, 60 is fine, but I do wonder if its sludging and wonder what is happening to the 20 pumpability.

Just thoughts of this morning …

I think the thickening in and of itself isn't an indication of sludging. In combination with rising insolubles it would be a bit concerning. I'm not really suggesting that 3 years would be a good idea, but 5 or 6000 in 2 or a little over shouldn't be an issue IMO...

I guess I could change the Sporty and see how thick it gets from just sitting, I think that's about 4 years old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back