Looking for a fun autocross/ club racer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 944 is a good one but expensive to repair. a Mini can be made good and a Kharmann Ghia can be great at that. Don't overlook a GTI.

To me, a Miata, E36/46 3 Series, WRX(or even its NA Impreza basis), Focus, the older Lexus IS300/GS300, older Civic/Integra/RSX or a A4 Golf/Jetta come to mind.

Yes, I threw in a pair of Lexii, but there is a fair bit of aftermarket for the 1st generation IS and 2nd gen GS and the stock 2JZ-GE I6 is a proven, stout motor if not built or tweakable like the 2JZ-GTE. The older mid-1990s Civic/Integras and the RSX as much as I poo-pooed that crowd in high school(I was a bad Asian them wanting a Crown Vic) were fun little cars, and from reading up on it, you can have fun with engine swaps and suspension stuff. Honda did a decent job, it was the only car in that class that had fully independent suspension that wasn't MacPierson struts.

I think a mid-late 1990s Civic with some suspension work and a B18-series motor from an Integra or a Si would be fun, if not an actual Si or Integra GS-R of that era.

Last edited:
Lots of love for Miata's. I owned and raced a very well modified 94 R package Miata with a 385 RWHP no lag turbo setup. It was a holy terror on the track and able to play with the really big boys. However, a stock Miata simply is not a terror on the autocross course. It will take more than a little effort to make it competitive.

Yes, on a really tight 40 second course, a well prepped Miata can compete with a stock 'vette. On longer or faster courses, such as a more open, 60+ second course, the Miata's weaknesses are going to show.

Don't believe the hype that a well prepped stock class or spec miata will turn world class lap times. They won't.

FWIW, my turbo R lapped the Spec Miata guys in 5 laps at Homestead. In other words, they did 4 laps, I did 5. The trash talking before the event was legendary, with quoted lap times and G forces, etc. The results speak for themselves though. I hit 168 MPH down the long straight, bumping against the rev limiter. They barely broke 100.

[Linked Image]

I used to autocross a Lotus Super7...some of the most fun I ever had, but out of the price range.

Miata w/ hardtop or Boxster (S preferred), but I'd certainly give the edge to the Miata for autocross. For early Boxsters, remember to budget ~$1,800 for the IMS/RMS if not done.

I just bid on a 928s4. Probably not the best autocross car, but it should make a fun weekend driver as well. Wish me luck

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I am looking for a fun car to do autocross and perhaps some club racing for me and my wife.

I really am the type that wants something different so I am not looking at miatas.

I would like something that is 4cyl or perhaps a 6.

Goal is to have lots of fun and not necessarily for winning.

Older cars are preferred, something fairly easy to work on.

Budget is about 15k but I will spend more if I have to.

I thought I would ask here because of the big knowledge base on bitog.

Thanks

2001-2005 Lexus IS300 with a manual 5-speed should do nicely. If you are planning on turbocharging later on - then the engine will take up to 10psi without an issue, but the manual 5-speed will be the weak link anywhere above 300hp. The Automatic transmission in IS300 holds ~400whp without an issue. All parts are available at any parts store. VERY EASY TO WORK ON THAT INLINE-6 2JZ-GE. Actually my favorite engine to work on.
"It is basically a 4-door Toyota Supra", as someone once said.

P.S. My friend has an IS300 with a 5-speed manual. With a gutted interior that thing is a riot. Paired with cheap Chinese tires on the rear - it becomes a drift demon. Definitely the most fun for the money, without the possible cooling system and head gasket issues that e36/e46 BMWs experience once pushed to the limits.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Cobalt SS Turbo

Yes. Although I think a supercharged Cobalt SS with a smaller supercharger pulley and a tune would be more usable on the autocross.

Originally Posted by Vladiator
Cobalt SS Turbo

Yes. Although I think a supercharged Cobalt SS with a smaller supercharger pulley and a tune would be more usable on the autocross.

The turbo makes more torque down low.

Cobalt SS Turbo

More than Stock supercharged SS? Yes. More than Tuned supercharged SS with a smaller supercharger pulley? I doubt it... BUT with too much torque comes the problem of understeer... Still fun though.

To me this looks tempting...
For that price you could buy it, immediately change all the timing chains/guides/tensioners at a reputable Euro shop or DIY, and still come out below $10k for a (now) reliable V8-AWD-Manual-monster.

Screenshot_2018-11-12-14-27-21-1.png

Screenshot_2018-11-12-14-29-39-1.png

Cobalt SS Turbo

More than Stock supercharged SS? Yes. More than Tuned supercharged SS with a smaller supercharger pulley? I doubt it... BUT with too much torque comes the problem of understeer... Still fun though.

Yeah, way more. Even tuned with a smaller pulley you'll be lucky to get 200 ft lbs to the wheels.

Yeah, way more. Even tuned with a smaller pulley you'll be lucky to get 200 ft lbs to the wheels.

Really? Interesting. I learned something new today then. Turbo SS is definitely the way to go then, if FWD is a must.

I just bid on a 928s4. Probably not the best autocross car, but it should make a fun weekend driver as well. Wish me luck

Please let us know how it goes. Not the best AutoX'er, but what a great car. Good luck & post pics.

For that price you could buy it, immediately change all the timing chains/guides/tensioners at a reputable Euro shop or DIY, and still come out below $10k for a (now) reliable V8-AWD-Manual-monster.

Oh man, I was reading up on the timing drive on the Audi V8s, it's a very convoluted design for the sake of being convoluted that only VW can do.

It makes the Ford 4.0L OHC Cologne V6 look like an amateur.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Please let us know how it goes. Not the best AutoX'er, but what a great car. Good luck & post pics.

I lost the bid. Ended up that the reserve was not met. Search continues

Originally Posted by nthach

Oh man, I was reading up on the timing drive on the Audi V8s, it's a very convoluted design for the sake of being convoluted that only VW can do.

It makes the Ford 4.0L OHC Cologne V6 look like an amateur.

Yes. But if it is all immediately taken care of upon purchase - then that S4 should be trouble-free for another 70k-100k, theoretically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back