Who has used the screwdriver thru the filter removal technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure … Have a boat motor … filter always sticks and no room for wrenching … I drill a 1/8" pilot and then pierce one side with screw driver … a little over kill but don't want to crack housing
Will try superlube on gasket next …

Starting out, it was done more than once. Usually, the first OCI on a new used car. When all the filter housing is ripped off, I've used a cold chisel to shift the base plate. Ever done that?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Starting out, it was done more than once. Usually, the first OCI on a new used car. When all the filter housing is ripped off, I've used a cold chisel to shift the base plate. Ever done that?
grin2.gif

Not yet!

1 Time. First OC on my 2005 Mustang GT. Filter was put on dry and super tight from factory. After crushing it with typical OF wrench I had to resort to the screwdriver.

Never in 40 yrs. Always oiled the gasket. But this last time (2 yrs on filter) I couldn't get the thing off by hand or with strap wrenches. Fortunately, my neighbor has a socket top style filter wrench that did do the job. Never had this issue going 1 yr or less on a filter.

I've done it but that was way back when filter cases were sturdy. Some filters today feel more like a soda can.

I found that a big pair of Channelocks worked the best.

A few times. But often it is a lot easier to use a good polygrip plier with good fresh teeth.

Never the screw driver technique.

The Lisle 63600 style wrench has worked every. single. time.

Looks funny but grips correctly, and the more you turn the socket to loosen, the more it grips the filter and turns it to remove.

Great tool. Great price at about $10 on Amazon.

IMG_7711.jpg

I had to on my old 95 Accord. When I bought it used, the previous guy only used quick lube places, so the oil filter was on there tight, maybe even on for more than one OCI as that gen Accord had the oil filter in a pretty bad and tight spot.
There was no room for a cup type wrench and I had nothing else on hand. Piercing it with a screw driver did the trick.
Never had any problems on that car afterwards since I always hand tight the filters.

Last edited:
When I first bought my wife's 08 Beetle, i was going thru and changing all the fluids since the maintenance was very poor (first indicator that the previous owner was an idiot was a bottle of regular Mobil 15W50 in a car spec'd for 0W40) Any way I have a good filter wrench that I have used for 15 year and still could not get the filter off, I tried a big channel locks also to no avail. I finally gave in and hammered thru a 24 inch pry-bar, it was still hard to turn, but I was able to remove the filter. The threads on the filter where completely jacked, and I wondered if the filter was even the correct filter for the car.

Worst one ever for me was the factory installed filter on a 75 trans am with the shaker hood scoop and turkey on the hood.

I used strap tyoe wrench, bent it up. Then used a screw driver, it tore out. Drove a tire tool thru the remains, it tore out too Took off the mount and took to the dealer, they ended up with a big pipe wrench, broke the mount and the remains of the filter still did not come off. They went out on the lot, robbed a mount, made sure the filter was able to be removed and sent the mechanic over to install it. Small town dealer, life was different then.

On R1100 R1150 BMW motorcycles the filter is completely recessed. You must have a tool that fits filter, it is a common pattern, cheap and easy. (The common pattern was eliminated on the R1200, so you HAD to buy a special wrench.) Anyway one poor guy tried to remove his filter by driving a screwdriver thru the filter at an angle. He managed to drive that screwdriver right thru the thin casting of the engine.

I think the hole was welded in place, but still cost a lot for that change.

Rod

I was party to one occasion where the screwdriver method was employed.
It destroyed the can completely. I was disappointed at how badly the "screwdriver trick" worked.
Fortunately someone had the correct size of Channelock pliers handy.

How can failure to oil the gasket result in the can being hard to turn?
In those cases the can unscrews and the gasket sticks to the block/boss/adapter.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Worst one ever for me was the factory installed filter on a 75 trans am with the shaker hood scoop and turkey on the hood.

I used strap tyoe wrench, bent it up. Then used a screw driver, it tore out. Drove a tire tool thru the remains, it tore out too Took off the mount and took to the dealer, they ended up with a big pipe wrench, broke the mount and the remains of the filter still did not come off. They went out on the lot, robbed a mount, made sure the filter was able to be removed and sent the mechanic over to install it. Small town dealer, life was different then.

On R1100 R1150 BMW motorcycles the filter is completely recessed. You must have a tool that fits filter, it is a common pattern, cheap and easy. (The common pattern was eliminated on the R1200, so you HAD to buy a special wrench.) Anyway one poor guy tried to remove his filter by driving a screwdriver thru the filter at an angle. He managed to drive that screwdriver right thru the thin casting of the engine.

I think the hole was welded in place, but still cost a lot for that change.

Rod

I'll bet the process continued when a buyer showed up for that car they took the mount off of.

So many stories from that era. A common salesman line was "We'll take care of that before you drive it off the lot."

Originally Posted by PimTac

I'll bet the process continued when a buyer showed up for that car they took the mount off of.

So many stories from that era. A common salesman line was "We'll take care of that before you drive it off the lot."

I knew the dealer and all the people well. They took both keys to that car and locked them in the safe with a note.

When the part arrived it was fixed and keys were hung on the wall with all the others.

Only problem is getting in on and off the lift when it could not be driven. lots of days only one very good mechanic.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back