Feeding dogs individually - being picky

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
We've got 4 dogs, 3 healthy weight and 1 that is overweight. They've always had a 20 pound feeder that they could eat whenever they wanted to.

Vet told us before that if we wanted the overweight one to lose weight, it needs to be measured and use weight management food with that dog.

They're all being quite picky, I put each one in a bedroom with their measured food and they don't want to eat much. Have been doing this almost a week, twice a day. It's the same food they've always eaten (for the healthy weight dogs) and they like it. I've tried bringing them one at a time into the living room where they're more comfortable and sometimes they'll eat more. I've also tried wetting the food.
That works better, usually, but I don't want to do that forever. I'd like to not be babying them.

One of the dogs is getting old and is a little skinny. He's the pickiest right now and I worry about him. His picture is below. Probably sideways.

Any suggestions?

[Linked Image]

We have 2 pugs and the one is over weight. We feed one in the kitchen and the other in the hallway. We put up a baby gate to keep the piglet in the kitchen as she is on special food and won't hesitate to push our other pug out of the way to eat her food.

At first she didn't like the new food but because that is all she got by the second day she started eating because she was too hungry to complain and now she is fine.

Last edited:
Maybe try a different food? I've used Bil-Jac for 22 years for 4 different dogs.

Maybe put the 3 in a room together with their food? Does the heavy dog gobble up his food?

I'm a firm believer that dogs learn new routines quickly if done consistently. They won't starve themselves.

It's tough when dogs get overweight, it's our fault for letting them eat too much, they're just doing what they naturally want to do.

If the overweight dog acts like he's starving all the time you can put some no-salt green beans with his food to give some bulk with few calories.

I will use the "Term" It would be nice to change their food up from day to day, you can stay within the same brand if you wish, or a few different brands, but they do get tired of eating the same food day after day. I know "Spoiled" dogs huh! I alternate between 3 wet foods, all same brand, beef, chicken, turkey, they like beef best. I alternate between about 3-4 quality dry foods also. I do top with a little bit of mozzarella cheese, it makes a big difference to them. They are spoiled and it helps motivate and interest them in eating when their tins are put down.

Buy good quality food if it is within your budget, we spend a pretty decent amount of money on food, let alone vet bills. Walmart does not have any food you should feed your dogs. My opinion.

I strongly believe in feeding dogs measured amounts of food at the same time every day. Not leaving food for them to eat as they want during the day. They can have treats though as you wish to give them.

My dogs are so spoiled, they pretty much go with me 24/7, the cats stay home though!

When your dogs are being picky about eating, feed them once a day, if they won't gobble down their food in 5 minutes, pick it up! You can put it back down a little later to see if they are ready to eat. They are like kids, they are testing you! Who is stronger and more stubborn? Maybe you will give them something better, that's what they are thinking?

The problem you have is, you got 4 of them...lol, you have twice them problems I have, well I really don't have much problems with my dogs, but mine sometimes don't eat much cause they ate chicken strips from Walmart.

They might eat better than I do!
lol.gif
they've always eaten Nutro Ultra, about $60 a bag. They've always loved it. I've always been very picky with their food. No table scraps, no treats, no canned food (bad for teeth).

I'm starting to think I've got to be a little tougher and not water down their food. If they're hungry, they'll eat. Maybe it'll just take some more time.

The overweight one we're taking to the vet this week for some blood work.

I still worry about the older dog pictured above. He's 13-1/2, and this last year has slowed down a little bit. He's lost some weight and muscle tone. I'm going to try harder to get him on this regimen but won't let him go too long without eating. We lost one in January that was 17-1/2.

Well, thats good you understand and can afford to feed them quality food! Its not cheap! At your older dogs age, I will not internet speculate any diagnosis as I'm not a Vet. At his age, your looking to keep him comfortable, a blood panel is a good place for a base line. Goodluck, and respects for taking good care of your animals.

I feed my dogs once a day plus some table scraps as treats. None of them are fat.

Any picky eater should go hungry so they 'learn' not to turn away food (unless they are being fed garbage store brand food).

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I will use the "Term" It would be nice to change their food up from day to day, you can stay within the same brand if you wish, or a few different brands, but they do get tired of eating the same food day after day.

In our experience this is a recipe for disaster... when we change dog food we do it over a week or more by mixing the 2 together to transition the dog(s) to the different food. Otherwise it almost always causes a few days of dog diarrhea and an accident or two. No thanks.

A guy at work feeds his dog once a day and wonders why it's always so darn hungry at feeding time....

They say if your dog stops eating, feed him 6 days a week and skip a day. This'll trigger some instinct and they'll eat more.

But keeping multiple dogs on multiple diets in different rooms is like herding cats. Good luck!

When was the last time the older dog that's losing weight had a visit to the vet? Is it eating well? If so then a change my be in order. The vet will know. If not then a exam with bloodwork should be done.

I've had older dogs that got finicky later in their years. I would mix up some gravy mix and add it to the food. If that didn't get them to eat then I made a appt with the vet.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I will use the "Term" It would be nice to change their food up from day to day, you can stay within the same brand if you wish, or a few different brands, but they do get tired of eating the same food day after day.

In our experience this is a recipe for disaster... when we change dog food we do it over a week or more by mixing the 2 together to transition the dog(s) to the different food. Otherwise it almost always causes a few days of dog diarrhea and an accident or two. No thanks.

A guy at work feeds his dog once a day and wonders why it's always so darn hungry at feeding time....

Mine don't have any problem with it, but I have had cats that were almost impossible to change food on, even by weaning.

My rotation of wet food is pretty consistent, same brand, beef and barley, chicken and barley, turkey and barley, dry food I change when they seem less interested in the dry food. I have 3 or 4 in house at all times.

I have had other dogs that were very difficult to change foods on, but I guess I have trained mine, or they have trained me? Whatever, It works just fine for my dogs, no accidents, no diarrhea. If I feed them too much human food they have diarrhea, but I learned that a long time ago! Minimum human food!

Some dogs might need to be feed twice a day, but mine don't, only rare occasions do they lick their bowls in the morning, and then they get a 16oz cup of dry food and they usually eat it completely.

Only one of them ate a little bit this morning. And nothing tonight. Hopefully they'll be hungry tomorrow.

I'll make an appointment for the older one for the vet and take him and the fat one in maybe later this week.

I realized I never updated this thread. After a couple weeks they got used to individual eating, and are perfect. They eat their entire serving of food every time, no water ever added after a week or so of this post.

While we had to have the old one put down a couple months ago, the fat one has been trim and lean and in perfect shape. The vet was really happy to see him looking so good last time he was there.

Now I'm doing this to my grandpa's two dogs, they could stand to lose a couple pounds and we're about a week in and I'm still wetting their food. Soon I'll be drying it up.

Back