MB 2.4 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a recent UOA on my 1983 mercedes 240D Not too bad i think. I plan to go 20,000 miles the next time.

IMG_1369.JPG

I didn't (still don't really) know anything about the old Mercedes diesels. According to one website, in 1983 it was rated at 67HP and 97 lb-ft torque.
shocked2.gif
I know that was long ago but I'm still stunned by the numbers. I've heard they keep going and going, though. Thanks for posting because today I learned a little about those cars (engines).

As for the oil, I don't know how much that engine holds, but 5 quarts of make-up added is a considerable amount. That keeps the oil fresh with new additives but dilutes wear metal results. That AME is known for strong TBN and 9.6 is great for the miles, but with so much oil added, any inexpensive 15W-40 will get you a bunch of miles. Just sayin'
smile.gif
That has to be an expensive oci between the initial fill and then the top offs.

The car uses 1 quart every 3,000 miles. It is the soot level that concerns me. It was 1.3%. Mercedes says the limit is 2%. I'll know how close it will be on the soot after 20,000 miles. I have the stick shift model and it "goes" a little better than the automatic but not by much!! I get 35 miles per gallon for my work commute. My mechanic says he does not think I will ever wear it out just driving it 12-13,000 miles per year! I bought it used over 6 years ago for 2,000 dollars. For the money I got a great deal because it has never ever let me down.The guy I bought it from took great care of it. I don't think he really wanted to sell it but he was moving to Switzerland and did not want to pay to move it. It is my daily driver. The car holds 6.9 quarts of oil. After this oil change I might go to Delvac or Travellers HDEO and see how that works out. I'm sure it won't be bad. I'm just not sure about how the soot levels will hold up with those oils.The AME oil is high if a person buys it by the gallon or quart size. My mechanic and I split a barrel and the price was about 6.35 a quart. He has 4 dodge Cummins pickup trucks and I have 3 Mercedes diesel cars so it has worked out well for both of us. My 1984 300 SD holds 8 quarts and uses about 1 quart every 6,000 miles. My daughter drives it to college and then to work every day. It won't need an oil change for about another 10,000 miles or so. My daily commute is 25 miles one way. Hers is about the same.My 1995 e300D is now getting a new wiring harness and will be up and running one of these days. It holds 8 quarts also but does not burn much oil. It uses a quart about every 8,000 miles. The wiring harness needed replaced because Mercedes put in a biodegradable wiring harness!! Well, guess what? It degraded!! Not cool. Anyway, Thank You, Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional information, Bill. You are obviously very knowledgeable about the old MB cars/engines and getting a lot of use from them. I always enjoy driving through the western states and seeing all the old vehicles that are still in great shape.

I think you'll be fine with the 20k mile OCI, in part because of the make-up oil. You'll be adding an additional 1-2 quarts of oil which will keep the additives refreshed while also diluting the soot. Compared to the oils of 1983, oil has come a long way and can keep the soot better dispersed to prevent problems. I think it'll be fine for you.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back