Tranny Shudder at idle in drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm experiencing a shudder at idle in drive. Once I take off the shuddering disappears at all speeds. No shudder in neutral or park either. Anyone have an idea what happened? Started happening after I changed my tranny fluid, which I've done before but never experienced shuddering.

Clk500 722.6 NAG1 engine. Thanks in advance.

Obvious questions... Did you use the correct fluid that meets the specification in the manual, are you sure it's properly filled, was this fluid really dark before you changed it?

Could be the transmission stored shift data needs to readjust for the characteristics of the new fluid. Check that the fluid is at the right level. Drive the car about two hundred miles, the shudder should be less severe and less frequent if it is relearning the parameters.

Another vote for checking the level again. Make sure tranny's warm, on level ground, etc...

Originally Posted by irad
Could be the transmission stored shift data needs to readjust for the characteristics of the new fluid. Check that the fluid is at the right level. Drive the car about two hundred miles, the shudder should be less severe and less frequent if it is relearning the parameters.

Can this be reset by disconnecting the battery ?

Yes used oem spec fluid and measured it. This was my 3rd or 4th time doing it, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. But I have heard that when people change the transmission fluid in high mileage cars, things sometimes go bad. And I'm thinking this is one of the times. Quite the anomaly actually.. it drives and shifts perfectly, just shudders while stopped at a light.

So I'm thinking it's a torque converter issue. I even added lubegard in there. Maybe another bottle might fix it.

Originally Posted by PhuongFU
Yes used oem spec fluid and measured it.

Have you actually measured the fluid level correctly? Sounds like you haven't. Just swapping volume is not adequate enough.

Is your idle correct, and have you checked the engine mounts as suggested? These will also cause this sensation. How many miles total?

Originally Posted by PhuongFU
Yes used oem spec fluid and measured it. This was my 3rd or 4th time doing it, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. But I have heard that when people change the transmission fluid in high mileage cars, things sometimes go bad. And I'm thinking this is one of the times. Quite the anomaly actually.. it drives and shifts perfectly, just shudders while stopped at a light.

So I'm thinking it's a torque converter issue. I even added lubegard in there. Maybe another bottle might fix it.

Don't add more Lubeguard. I would make sure you are measuring the fluid correctly first.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Have you checked the engine/transmission mounts as suggested?

+ 2 on this.
Doesn't your car have active motor mounts? If so equipped and the motor mounts themselves are good, there could be a problem with the active vibration cancellation control system. Check your fuses, wires, and connections.

I just had another thought... Is it possible that the transmission needs to go through a re-learn procedure from resetting the adaptive logic and or fluid change?

This is often an engine problem not the transmission. Is the idle speed correct? Does the engine slow down a lot when you shift from neutral to drive? Does it do the same thing idling in reverse with the car stopped?

Originally Posted by StevieC
I just had another thought... Is it possible that the transmission needs to go through a re-learn procedure from resetting the adaptive logic and or fluid change?

The OP indicated above:

"I was hoping it resets itself after a 800 mile journey to Houston and back but it didn't."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back