Post your latest oil change

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
2016 Chevy Trax 1.4 turbo
Supertech Dexos 5W30, Napa Gold 7674
oil filter cap 18 ft lbs
drain plug 120 in lbs

LOL why didn't you torque that drain plug to 500 and getter done. 25 LBS would be way more than enough. I don't even torque mine I just make it tight. You are trying to make a simple job Rocket Science.

Why don't you let him torque his drain plug and not be a smart [censored]. Maybe he's required to torque drain plugs at his work place, or maybe he feels it's necessary. I don't, but that doesn't mean i shouldn't.

I care more about how many miles people are puttin on their oil and how much make up was used. Could care less about drain-plug torque. It's always one white knuckle.

I don't either, but I see no reason for Mobil Altima to be called out for it. Btw, 10-20 ft lbs of torque is a pretty common spec for oil drain plugs, and is about what an average person can torque it at by hand. Again, he could be required to torque them at his place of work. Even if not, developing a habit of checking drain plugs with a torque wrench isn't a bad thing.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by mobilaltima
2016 Chevy Trax 1.4 turbo
Supertech Dexos 5W30, Napa Gold 7674
oil filter cap 18 ft lbs
drain plug 120 in lbs

LOL why didn't you torque that drain plug to 500 and getter done. 25 LBS would be way more than enough. I don't even torque mine I just make it tight. You are trying to make a simple job Rocket Science.

That's 120 INCH lbs (10ft lbs)

A simple job with peace of mind. GM requires 10 ft lbs on this drain plug, I convert it to in lbs and use my trusty Snap On torque wrench. I do oil changes on weekends for extra money, torquing any vehicles I touch plug to proper specs, along with a new gasket or crush washer, assures me that the plug wont back out, leak , or strip the threads. Some of you guys should try this "rocket science" lol. When doing any kind of work on anything with nuts, bolts, or fasteners, if it has a required torque and the specs are easily accessible, its getting torqued if my hands are on it.

Originally Posted by Red91
It's not something I've ever done, but like you say it's simple enough to do and gives you peace of mind. May try it sometime.

I was about to post that my car is getting its oil change done this week right there in my garage, when I saw that I have the same car as you. Very pleasant surprise, neighbor to the east. I tighten mine until snug. You are a great person, keep on with what you are doing.

1999 Volvo S70, 259,100 miles
Out - Mostly Mobil Special 10W-30 with various top off oils, Champ PH2904 filter. (5k OCI)
In - 4 qts Citgo Supergard 10w-30 SJ, 1 qt Exxon Superflo 10w-30 SJ, 1 qt Mobil Special 10w-30 SN, all scavenged from garage clean-out. Champ PH2904 filter.

2010 Toyota Corolla Base
1.8 2ZR-FE
138k on the car
4983 on the oil
Out: Mobil 1 5w20/Toyota OEM filter
In: MileSyn blend 5w20/Toyota OEM filter

2008 F150 KR
5.4 Triton 3v
147k on the truck
4939 on the oil
Out: MileSyn blend 10w30 (w/ a splash of STP Multi-Purpose Motor Treatment in the oil about half way through OCI)/MC 820s
In: MileSyn blend 5w30/ MC 820s

Also changed the fuel filter on the truck
28859 miles on the filter
Out: MC FL1083
In: MC FL1083

Last edited:
2006 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
147k miles on vehicle, 7k miles on oil
Oil/filter out: Valvoline synpower 5w30, Denso 150-1002
Oil/filter in: Mobil 1 5w30, Bosch 3330 premium
Drain plug torque = 28 lb-ft

(OEM service interval is 5k miles with conventional. Been doing 7k intervals with synthetic oil, still looks remarkably clear on the dipstick before draining at 7k. This engine is really clean and still runs perfect at nearly 150k ODO.)

1993 GMC 1500 rez truck. 372,000km. Out was an unknown oil/mileage. I was surprised to see a Wix 51060 in there though. In went some on sale QSAD and to p1ss off many, a Fram PH5 Extra guard.

Out: PP 0W20.
In: PUP 5W20.
10k mile OCI.

K&N HP1002.
20k mile FCI.

70,109 vehicle miles.

As I move into the high mileage realm,
I am now a prime candidate for Ultra Platinum 5W20.

--Mild winter weather.
--Need for durability for many hundreds of thousands of miles.
--Decade old engine design..FI VVT....no GDI...high dose calcium is no problem.

I will keep the OCI at 10k miles.

Back