Nitrogen tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they any nitrogen tank that I buy to fill it up so I don't have to go to dealership? Lately I have been filling up my car with air compressor and air leak out quickly than nitrogen so which is why I want to buy the nitrogen tank that's good price.

Yes, go to any welding store. I have 2, About $20 to fill and they last a long time. You need a regulator hose and fitting also. Its super high pressure so it fills tires very quick, seats beads and can run air tools.

Last edited:
I think you have a hole in your tire.

A nitrogen filled tire won't leak less slowly than one filled with 78% nitrogen (air)

Originally Posted by Linctex

A nitrogen filled tire won't leak less slowly than one filled with 78% nitrogen (air)

I agree, though it can be argued that a higher nitrogen content will maintain pressure more consistently across varying ambient temperatures. If you're having to fill your tires up on a regular basis, you have a bigger problem than nitrogen versus compressed air!

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

I agree, though it can be argued that a higher nitrogen content will maintain pressure more consistently across varying ambient temperatures. If you're having to fill your tires up on a regular basis, you have a bigger problem than nitrogen versus compressed air!

That argument is often made.

So is the argument that the Earth is flat.

Both arguments stem from scientific ignorance.

Correct!
The is some leaking going on either in the tire or the wheel or rim edge.
Nitrogen won't leak out less, it just remains more stable as the temperatures change.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Correct!
The is some leaking going on either in the tire or the wheel or rim edge.
Nitrogen won't leak out less, it just remains more stable as the temperatures change.

Seriously!??

Where did you get that idea?

Salesman? Marketing literature? Internet "experts"?

Look, the OP has a leak. We agree on that. But the idea that somehow, pure nitrogen behaves differently than 78% nitrogen with respect to temperature is completely ridiculous.

PV=nRT for both mixtures of common gasses.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

That argument is often made.

So is the argument that the Earth is flat.

Both arguments stem from scientific ignorance.

We know the earth is not flat. If it was cats would have knocked everything off it by now.

Wouldn't Argon be a better gas to use compared to Nitrogen? It's a larger molecule (slower to leak out) and totally inert (internal rubber oxidation).

Originally Posted by pcoxe
Wouldn't Argon be a better gas to use compared to Nitrogen? It's a larger molecule (slower to leak out) and totally inert (internal rubber oxidation).

Well first off argon is not a molecule like gaseous nitrogen. And second how are you measuring atomic radii?

Do you really think there is some pathway for breaking the triple N2 bond inside a tire?

Originally Posted by Rohan
Are they any nitrogen tank that I buy to fill it up so I don't have to go to dealership? Lately I have been filling up my car with air compressor and air leak out quickly than nitrogen so which is why I want to buy the nitrogen tank that's good price.

How much more quickly, if its more than a couple of PSI then it maybe something else (like excess moisture) .

Use helium since will make your car lighter and more fuel efficient.
smile.gif

I'm surprised no one has posted the real 'advantage' (If you can call it that for most normal people. Racers and track day people yes, normal drivers, no). Nitrogen from a tank is dry. Air from the world contains some amount of moisture (Unless you've got a really good dryer on your compressor). The dryer the gas in the tire, the less it will change pressure as the tire heats from driving.

That's the biggest reason to use it. That and to make money for your shop selling it as an 'upgrade'

Nitrogen/N2, the gift that keeps on giving to the bitog tire sub forum, AND the dealerships/tire shops that sell it. In 4+ decades of tire usage and maintenance, the free 78% type has served me quite well. That and some tire gauges along the way.

As noted, if tire leaking air that fast not something all the N2 in the world is going to fix. Take the tire to a good tire shop and have it dunk tank tested and repaired. As for N2, don't be one of the folks mentioned in the phrase credited to PT Barnum.
56.gif

The dryness of pure N2 is the principal reason it's used in airplanes. The phase change of water in the tire can affect the pressure.

But let's be honest, not many car tires go from -65C (Cruise altitude air temperature) to 125C (spin up and heavy braking on landing) in a few seconds like airplane tires. In fact, even race cars don't experience those temperature swings.

At 35 PSI inflation pressure, the boiling point of water is about 260F (125C). It's the water phase change that can affect tire pressure adversely. Street driven cars don't get to that temperature where the liquid water changes to steam and affects pressure.

But a reasonably dry air compressor won't put enough water in your car tires for this to be a problem. I would avoid coin-op gas station compressors for this reason. The 1/4 turn ball valve drain in my compressor was the best mod I could make. The water content is nearly zero, as it gets drained daily.

By the way, water vapor is a gas, and, as a consequence, it follows the universal gas law PV=nRT just the same as nitrogen, or oxygen, or argon. So a bit of water vapor makes no difference.

Last edited:
Was recently delayed on a B772 flight for a main landing gear tire change … out of curiosity … what would one of those cost ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back