Nissan 5.6L Endurance V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by john_pifer
The F-150 EB engine being more complex and power-dense means its chances of a failure at any given time are higher, and, the more miles and time it accumulates, the greater those chances.

And yet it's been around for 9 years now (debuted in 2009), has sold millions of them. The early ones had timing chain issues but other than that they have been quite reliable even as they age. I'd not hesitate to hitch up the camper and go cross country with our 2011 with 91k. Nor would I hesitate to do cross country in the 126k mile Taurus.

We've been turbocharging gas and Diesels for a long time now. The technology is solid.

I always wondered why the TItan didn't get much love - seems to be a solid contender and Nissan knows how to build solid engines. It's certainly more capable than the perennial #3 truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave
The first gen eco has some problems. "One of our own" on a boating forum lost a lower end when a piston skirt went.

Id be more confident in the latter ones.

It is true that in a more complex vehicle (blown turbo"d) there is in general more of everything to go back and all of its interconnected pieces and plumbing -
there will be failure at some point but down the road - but well maintained well you can get a long time of out of modern turbos.

Its worth mentioning one of the sprinters in my sig line lost a turbo - intake side of the compressor wheel (of course!) shattered fillingsthe engine with metal - at 5 years and 35K miles.

My 1998 Cat Turbodiesel motorhome is a rock after all this time.

UD

It's a little scary for me to think about owning a high-strung turbocharged vehicle out of warranty. Yes, I own a 2016 WRX (2.0 TGDI, 134 HP/Liter), but I also have a 7-yr, 100K extended warranty (that Subaru had to give me in appeasement for the car sitting at the dealership for the months it took them to track down a noise under hard acceleration that turned out to be a leaky exhaust manifold (eroded gasket from missing header stud nut from the factory).

I think the 3.5 EcoBoost is a nice engine. Of course, I like the power it produces. I think it'll be a good powerplant for most people. But, I think most people who buy it won't keep it for 15 years as you have your Titan. In fact, most people will probably only keep theirs for a maximum of 6-7 years.

That Cat turbodiesel is in a different category, though. Not even sure you can make that comparison. That's a heavy-duty engine. The turbo, and everything else on it is built to withstand severe duty conditions, I'm thinking.

Originally Posted by Zee09
I'm talking about the Titan.

Wow - thats cool didnt know that. (because Im not yet in the market)

The first gen eco has some problems. "One of our own" on a boating forum lost a lower end when a piston skirt went.

Id be more confident in the latter ones.

It is true that in a more complex vehicle (blown turbo"d) there is in general more of everything to go back and all of its interconnected pieces and plumbing -
there will be failure at some point but down the road - but well maintained well you can get a long time of out of modern turbos.

Its worth mentioning one of the sprinters in my sig line lost a turbo - intake side of the compressor wheel (of course!) shattered fillingsthe engine with metal - at 5 years and 35K miles.

My 1998 Cat Turbodiesel motorhome is a rock after all this time.

UD

It's a little scary for me to think about owning a high-strung turbocharged vehicle out of warranty. Yes, I own a 2016 WRX (2.0 TGDI, 134 HP/Liter), but I also have a 7-yr, 100K extended warranty (that Subaru had to give me in appeasement for the car sitting at the dealership for the months it took them to track down a noise under hard acceleration that turned out to be a leaky exhaust manifold (eroded gasket from missing header stud nut from the factory).

I think the 3.5 EcoBoost is a nice engine. Of course, I like the power it produces. I think it'll be a good powerplant for most people. But, I think most people who buy it won't keep it for 15 years as you have your Titan. In fact, most people will probably only keep theirs for a maximum of 6-7 years.

That Cat turbodiesel is in a different category, though. Not even sure you can make that comparison. That's a heavy-duty engine. The turbo, and everything else on it is built to withstand severe duty conditions, I'm thinking.

Im a subaru fan as well - so bummed to hear about any problems, but it sound sleek at least you are sorted now.

The 3.5 is great- but not without issues.

True the cat diesel is in a different league than my mercedes 3.5 and 2.1 turbo diesels,

Yeah people dont keep stuff anymore - Im a buy hold and maintain it guy I buy the truck I like and loaded it to the max and enjoy it for long time - improving it incrementally through my ownership.

I do stuff like

SS brake lines

Upgraded pads and rotors - at replacement time.

upgraded differential cover- more fins more capacity

Bigger better radiator- The factory one developed a crack under warranty and I underaged it with a credit from the dealer to CFS unit - in 2 instances under incredibly bizarre brutal conditions unheard of I had the temp gauge climb on me twice in 14 years never enough to protect mode the truck but enough that I started worrying. I was in - uphill traffic jams on the grapevine and chiriaco summit grade

Bilsteins

UD

The Titan has had teething problems with the diesel early on.
I have no idea if the new ones were sorted out yet. It would be a shame if not.
The fuel filters are super simple to change and the oil filter is inexpensive and simple as well.
The fuel filters ain't cheap but have come down 50% already.

The diesel trans is the same used elsewhere that has a 30k towing capability. The xd-td tows around 12k plus only

It used to be a $5k option. Both diesel and gas Titans have the 5 yr, 100k bumper to bumper warranty.
Discounts are rather deep too. Just the rebate is $6000 to all and another $1000 I think on financing.

The diesel issues really stem from dealerships not knowing the diesel itself. That is the number one complaint.
The gasser has been stellar.

tw warr.PNG

I'm in the market for a new truck this coming summer. My Frontier has been such a great, problem free truck that I am automatically considering a new Titan. I'm wanting to go with a 4x4 and a full size truck this time around. I'm honestly all over the place, looking at the new Silverado, the new Ram 1500, and of course the F-150. The Tundra is out of the running for me, to much money and gas mileage is horrible! The Titan with the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty also puts it on the top of the heap as well. There does seem to be some issues with the shifting of the new 7 speed transmission that I've read about. That kind of makes me worry a bit, but I'm definitely going to test drive a Titan when the time comes.

Turbocharging to achieve SFC with smaller engines is a new thing - it used to be the domain of sports cars. Toyota, ironically alongside Nissan was one of the first to introduce turbos into the mainstream. The turbo Z(I think the 280ZX had a turbo option too, the 300ZX for sure), Supra, Celica All-Trac and their trucks also had a turbo option(before they introduced their V6s into their trucks) - and GM had the GNX and Cyclone. Mopar had the turbovans and I think the Omni GLH too.

I follow a mechanic at the local transit agency on Instagram and not all heavy-duty engines are made equal.They're eating up turbos on the Cummins ISL, but their habit of deferred maintenance and cheap parts also has a role.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_mlpoV8EY

Between the GM, Dodge and Titan - they swapped the lead back and forth in a drag race no truck had more than about a length on the others most times less than half.

Its worth noting that the titan has at least 1 less gear in the box than the other 2 and the GM had the mighty 6.2 (and I think a 10 speed?) and still lost 2-3 drags to the titan.

The other noteworthy thing is that of all three engine designs with a little on line searching you will find that the cam in block design have a greater propensity for valve train issues - chevy 5.3 is well known for having AFM/ lifter problems as the screen in the manifold clogs and starves the lifters.
Hemis have had valve train problems as well, with a large number of cam scoring and lifter failures across the vehicles that use them.

This is because to make the power with 2 valves you have to lift them further and hold them open longer than a DOCH 4 valve design that uses smaller light valves and has inherently less flex in the system as there are no long pushrods that deflect.

UD

Last edited:

The other noteworthy thing is that of all three engine designs with a little on line searching you will find that the cam in block design have a greater propensity for valve train issues - chevy 5.3 is well known for having AFM/ lifter problems as the screen in the manifold clogs and starves the lifters.
Hemis have had valve train problems as well, with a large number of cam scoring and lifter failures across the vehicles that use them.

This is because to make the power with 2 valves you have to lift them further and hold them open longer than a DOCH 4 valve design that uses smaller light valves and has inherently less flex in the system as there are no long pushrods that deflect.

UD

I just want to correct the AFM Solenoid Screen plugging can cause the Lifters to starve for oil...That is incorrect.

The screen is right under the EOP sender/sensor & only affects the EOP sensor & the 4 AFM Oil Control Solenoids as they are the only components downstream of the screen. The Lifter feed & lube circuit is upstream.

Cam Lobe & Lifter Roller failure's in LSx engine is an independent problem as it's not only AFM engines that suffer from it. I fact I've seen this failure MORE often on non-AFM engines.
Sure.....AFM lifters fail hydraulically quite often, But never seen it wipe a cam out.

Lazy writing sorry agree - screen plugs and starves the sending unit, or oil control solenoid - point is the screen plugs and causes valve train problems.

I do see lifter both hydraulically fail and lose needle bearings from the rocker arms.

I see lots of hemi cam lobes wiped no so much Gm's

UD

Last edited:
I have a 2018 with the 5.6 engine and 8 speed automatic. Love the truck. Traded a 2010 silverado 5.3 the nissan is a much more stout piece. I had a 2006 before the Chevrolet and couldn't stand the silverado after having owned the titan. The anemic 5.3 didn't sit well for me.

Originally Posted by stroked93
I have a 2018 with the 5.6 engine and 8 speed automatic. Love the truck. Traded a 2010 silverado 5.3 the nissan is a much more stout piece. I had a 2006 before the Chevrolet and couldn't stand the silverado after having owned the titan. The anemic 5.3 didn't sit well for me.

Congrats on your new truck! - you mean 7 speed?

The 5.3 is typically made more anemic by chevy putting freeway flyer rear ends to make the highway mileage number workable.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back