Dumping Verizon Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-
My Verizon wireless plan expires in a couple weeks. Got to ditch this expensive plan and switch to T Mobile. If many of my photos are saved in the Verizon gallery (others are saved in Google Photos), is there a problem taking them over to the T Mobile plan using the same phone?

I hadn't even heard of this Verizon gallery but it sounds like something they invented to retain people against their will.

Like when the cable company "gives" you a PVR and you fill it up with shows.

Originally Posted by fordman65
Save them to the Google cloud..

That's what I did. Our bill was $270/ month for the 2 of us! Had enough of Verizon and switched to metro pcs. Free phones instead of paying monthly like Verizon did us and only $92/ month unlimited everything.

Why go from Verizon to T Mobile? Its a bit better price with a little worse service.

Answer ATT owned Cricket - ATT service at prices that blow anything else away out of the 4 major cell companies. (keep in mind their pricing online includes ALL taxes and fees and NEVER a surcharge.
I know have had them for years now, 3 lines at one time 4. Though I do see their pricing plans/data speeds are changing and you need to be careful to select the right plan, we are grandfathered I guess.

Anyway, just thought I would add this :eek:) In case your switching to save money its one other option, agree T-mobile is another, just unsure about T Mobile coverage, not great in our area and again, for the first time, you need to be careful with Cricket, things are changing prices slowly going up data speeds down but is you read the fine print you can still select the right plan and the price you see is what you pay.

We still only pay, - 3 lines, unlimited everything, 5 gigs of high speed PER line (15 total), then slower speeds, we never even come close to that 5 gigs on any of our three lines = $90. a month ACTUAL payment. Saved THOUSANDS over the last 4 or 5 years, and Cricket IS ATT, not an aftermarket company.

Granted, I think T Mobile maybe interesting too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by willbur
Greetings-
My Verizon wireless plan expires in a couple weeks. Got to ditch this expensive plan and switch to T Mobile. If many of my photos are saved in the Verizon gallery (others are saved in Google Photos), is there a problem taking them over to the T Mobile plan using the same phone?

Well your google photos can be accessed on any computer.
You can move your photos out of the verizon gallery to google or the free "One Drive" from microsoft or depending if your phone has a memory card ... ect
Maybe go onto a Verizon forum.

Last edited:
Verizon uses CDMA, T-Mo uses GSM. Unless you have an unlocked phone which supports both, I don't think you can reuse those phones. Lots of good pre-pay plans out there (Total Wireless for one) which use CDMA-- cheap plan, continue to use Verizon towers.

Cricket is ATT, same EXACT coverage, EXACT.
I actually use two cell phones during the day, my company supplied Verizon Work Phone and my ATT/CRICKET personal phone, travel at times 1000 miles in a week in every corner of my state.
Coverage on both services is 100% the same by that I mean, in the most isolated places of the state of SC. There MAY be an area where my Verizon phone may not work and my ATT/Cricket will work and the other way around, however very rare.

This is our plan, go to the site then click on "group discount"

2018-11-11.png

Originally Posted by alarmguy
I actually use two cell phones during the day, my company supplied Verizon Work Phone and my ATT/CRICKET personal phone, travel at times 1000 miles in a week in every corner of my state.
Coverage on both services is 100% the same by that I mean, in the most isolated places of the state of SC. There MAY be an area where my Verizon phone may not work and my ATT/Cricket will work and the other way around, however very rare.

Total wireless is Verizon towers so they can still use their CDMA phones.. and cheaper than cricket.

Tmob is garbage here. my boss has them and if he walks into a store it cuts out..

ps I like cricket too that is what I have.

Winner, winner.

We've used Cricket for about 4-5 years now. Originally had the plan explained above: 5 lines, 5 gigs per line before slow down, $100 all-in. The girls started exceeding the data so I moved up to the 22 gig plan. 5 lines, 22 gig each line before it supposedly slows down, $125 all-in.

Originally Posted by Rand

Total wireless is Verizon towers so they can still use their CDMA phones.. and cheaper than cricket.

Tmob is garbage here. my boss has them and if he walks into a store it cuts out..

ps I like cricket too that is what I have.

Just an FYI,

Total Wireless uses Verizon towers but is not a Verizon Company,
Cricket is ATT not an aftermarket company.

Looking at Total Wireless prices to me, they look much more expensive and on top of it a second tier/3rd party company, more or less Total is a 3rd party provider, using Verizon network.
The data is not unlimited, taxes and fees not included and YOU CAN RUN INTO OVER CHARGES.

Cricket is ATT, unlimited everything - NO taxes, fee's or over charges, period.

Just having fun here, as I am no stranger to this discussion but people (not you) are always looking at other services when here it is in their face that an ATT company offers them all they are looking for and they do not see it, end up going with some 3rd rate company.

Total Wireless Prices - I already posted Cricket a few posts before this one

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Greggy_D

Winner, winner.

We've used Cricket for about 4-5 years now. Originally had the plan explained above: 5 lines, 5 gigs per line before slow down, $100 all-in. The girls started exceeding the data so I moved up to the 22 gig plan. 5 lines, 22 gig each line before it supposedly slows down, $125 all-in.

Yes, fantastic isnt it!?!?
However I would have told your "girls" too bad if they run over the limit and things slow down. You do know the 22gig plan service is 50% slower data.

vs the 5 gig per line plan that I posted a few posts up, the data is over 100% faster then with what you switched too and why its called the "high speed" data plan. My wife, daughter and I never come close to using the 5gig per line of high speed data but if I were you, I would prefer my plan and enjoy 100% faster speeds and if your girls run over, then they will have to suffer at a slow speed until the end of the month ... :eek:)

Last edited:
What burns me up is the US monopoly of phones. We travel out of US, and can't turn our Verizon off, and retain phone number. Really irritating. I have to call and beg for discount once a month.

We have 2 Galaxy note 5's because my wife likes them. One is Verizon locked for US, and one is International with sims card.

For what she pays a month in US, she gets at least a year of use overseas, since she can buy pulse as she goes.

Tried ATT to just pay the months we want, but can't call overseas.

Developing worlds can be much cheaper, and good places to live.

America is so monetized, everyone you do business with has to rip you off to make a living and pay taxes and bills.

I can nearly pay the flights to turn off the bills. Only reasons we come back is to buy cheap stuff, and I like to drive.

We try to keep our family low-to-mid tech,

Let's see. We have three laptops which cost us about $200 altogether since two were free from a friend, and one was a miscategrozied Black Friday special where we got the loaded version with the same name (Dell Inspiron 15) instead of the stripped down one.

An iPad mini from 2013. A Google 6 for $75 that had a small crack on the front camera (no biggie). An LG G5 that we bought by selling a Galaxy Note 2 for $100 that I had for three years (bought it for $200) along with an Iphone 5c that I got for $75.

Okay... blah...blah...blah... We have spent less than $500 for all the computers and cell phones we have used this decade. As for the subject at hand...

Cricket $35 - Main Phone

Ooma $7 - At my dealership

Tracfone $20 - For wife and two teens

What absolutely kills me is the required internet service at my dealership. That is $70 a month since we have no competition, so my tough beans. Home is a different story though. After whipsawing through $14.95 and $19.95 deals since the early Obama era, I decided to let go a bit and pay $50 a month for a premium service since my kids use Kodi and a ton of other free programs. We have no cable, but we are part of a Nielsen like service that pays us $40 a month to track our viewing habits. So that takes off a lot of that sting.

If it were only me, I would use Google Voice, the phone at the local library, and a really basic internet service. I also would have no TV but that's a subject for another day.

Another thrilled cricket customer here. I was paying $200+ per month for 4 verizon wireless lines sharing something ridiculous like 5gigs among the 4 lines.

I'm now at $100 all-in for 4 Cricket lines with unlimited everything. Same 1 bar of reception at the house as verizon. Otherwise, can't tell the difference other than being happier with the cost reduction.

Like said, where cricket shines is, the price you see is the price you pay. Taxes, fees, etc.. are included. Not the case with the others.

Last edited:
Never, ever, ever use any cloud services offered by your provider. Always stay independent. We've had VZW for ~15 years and I don't even know what this "Verizon gallery" is. Are these photos no longer on your phone ? If not, can you download them back to your phone ? If you have a Gmail address, you get unlimited photo storage (of compressed versions of photos vs the original, full-size versions) and that's one option.

Regarding switching providers, ask around in your area with people you know if they use T-Mobile. If you can't find people, there could be a reason.... Otherwise, ask them how the coverage is. I don't care who you use but I can assure you that you've likely been spoiled by VZW's coverage. A funny story about switching providers involves my sister-in-law is them switching (to either Sprint or T-Mobile - I don't recall now nor does it matter). They did it kinda spur of the moment, got brand-new, shiny phones, lower cost .... and no service at home. The provider had no coverage at their house !

Originally Posted by macarose
We try to keep our family low-to-mid tech,

Let's see. We have three laptops which cost us about $200 altogether since two were free from a friend, and one was a miscategrozied Black Friday special where we got the loaded version with the same name (Dell Inspiron 15) instead of the stripped down one.

An iPad mini from 2013. A Google 6 for $75 that had a small crack on the front camera (no biggie). An LG G5 that we bought by selling a Galaxy Note 2 for $100 that I had for three years (bought it for $200) along with an Iphone 5c that I got for $75.

Okay... blah...blah...blah... We have spent less than $500 for all the computers and cell phones we have used this decade. As for the subject at hand...

Cricket $35 - Main Phone

Ooma $7 - At my dealership

Tracfone $20 - For wife and two teens

What absolutely kills me is the required internet service at my dealership. That is $70 a month since we have no competition, so my tough beans. Home is a different story though. After whipsawing through $14.95 and $19.95 deals since the early Obama era, I decided to let go a bit and pay $50 a month for a premium service since my kids use Kodi and a ton of other free programs. We have no cable, but we are part of a Nielsen like service that pays us $40 a month to track our viewing habits. So that takes off a lot of that sting.

If it were only me, I would use Google Voice, the phone at the local library, and a really basic internet service. I also would have no TV but that's a subject for another day.

Why are you excessively frugal? Do you work at McDonalds?

Originally Posted by willbur
Greetings-

I am not sure of moving your pictures. But I would make sure you get good cell service in areas important to you. I do not believe T-Mobile has the same coverage in the country at least.

I usually have two cell phone with me. One Verizon and one Google Fi. If both do not get good service, typically the Verizon one does.

Buy a phone and find a cell company. Forget contracts. Consumer Cellular is worth looking at.

FWIW my brother was on T-Mobile in Boston and had nothing but problems and switched to Verizon. Has been super happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back