'19 trax or '16 certified trax...several oil ???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at new vehicles...among them is a '19 chevy trax or a certified '16 chevy trax; I have a few oil questions...

1) are both years the same dexos spec? dexos 1 or dexos 2?

2) where can I find a list of dexos certified oils?

3) what is the maximum oil change interval (in miles) that GM oil life monitors allow for synblend or full syn dexos oils?

4) recommended oil filters for these oci's?

thanks...

Both spec d1g2, but dexos2 is also ok to use
smile.gif

PP Euro L or Valvoline MST 5w30 are both good choices. But any dexos 5w30 will be fine.

Fill up with premium. Also, the 1.4T is very hard on oil.

But between new and used, go with the new one.

The best oil filters to use would be Hengst, Mann, and Mahle. The OE supplier is Hengst.
The Mann part number is HU 612/2X

Originally Posted by 69Torino
New with a warranty. You'll probably need it.

2nd reply & already a detraction; please refrain from opinionated responses like this...i get enough flak from friends about my patriot; I only asked about oil, filter, and oil life monitor feedback!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Both spec d1g2, but dexos2 is also ok to use
smile.gif

PP Euro L or Valvoline MST 5w30 are both good choices. But any dexos 5w30 will be fine.

Fill up with premium. Also, the 1.4T is very hard on oil.

But between new and used, go with the new one.

The best oil filters to use would be Hengst, Mann, and Mahle. The OE supplier is Hengst.
The Mann part number is HU 612/2X

My '15 Trax (1.4T, not DI though) has 51000 miles on it now and has never needed any additional oil between changes. I run whatever Dexos 5w-30 oil I can find on sale. It runs great on 87 octane, no difference on 91. 87 is fine even running I-70 through the Colorado mountains in the summer with the AC on. It pulls a lot of timing out running 85 though, very noticeable. I'll have to look at mileage between changes tomorrow, I record it the mileage but really I just change it out when the OLM hits 20%, not by miles. I ran K&N filters for a while, got a bunch of them for free. I just did an oil change today and put in a Hengst.

Although I personally/actually liked driving the TRAX better than some of the other subcompact CUVs in this segment that I test drove. However they're among the lower rated & scoring in their category on many fronts. But so is my Altima and I still bought another/my 2nd one
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn

2nd reply & already a detraction; please refrain from opinionated responses like this...i get enough flak from friends about my patriot; I only asked about oil, filter, and oil life monitor feedback!

This kind of crap is common due to Americans hating their own companies. It's the cool way to be these days in modern "I don't care and I have no pride" America.

As a reply to your post. My Cruze has the same engine. I have used Mobil 1 5w-30 and AC Delco filter. I have followed OLM for 7 years with almost 10,000 miles between oil changes. No issues, does not burn oil. You can find list online. I recommend a full synthetic.

Originally Posted by DevilsRule
As a reply to your post. My Cruze has the same engine. I have used Mobil 1 5w-30 and AC Delco filter. I have followed OLM for 7 years with almost 10,000 miles between oil changes. No issues, does not burn oil. You can find list online. I recommend a full synthetic.

Have the 1.4L in our Cruze … ordered a 12 pack of Hengst oil filters on eBay and run by the OLM … that's normally 7k-8k … most common oil used has been Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and some PUP … but after reaching 90k switched to M1 0W40 … at 105k put in some PP Euro 5w30 I found on clearance … Running great …

Folks mentioned being "hard on oil" … so again just follow the OLM … now what they are hard on is ATF. I drained mine at 40k (per OM) and it looked like 10k motor oil … so now do it every 20k during an oil change.
Very easy to do ATF … drains just a gallon so perfect for a $20 jug of MaxLife …

Had a '14 Encore from purchase at 50K miles to totaling at 100K. OLM was good for about 7000 miles @ 20%. I used 5-30 MaxLife which met 1.1 but not 1.2 Dexos. Didn't burn any oil.

What it did do was run through two pcv?-valve cover failures (under warranty) and it was flashing codes at the time of its death which indicated that another valve, embedded in the exhaust manifold might need replacement. Small, cheap parts embedded into large expensive parts were a turnoff. The car continued to drive well, and if I pulled the battery lead, codes would reset and come on roughly monthly in hot weather and weekly in cold weather. The Soul was my runner up choice when I bought the Encore and my Soul seems much less fussy, although I do miss the Encore's electronic niceties.

thanks all for the feedback...not happy about the encore feedback (same engine) & cruze feedback (same transmission) yet the OBJECTIVITY AND SPECIFITY of the info is helpful; I am looking over finances and there are a few 'add-ons' that are gonna put my payments above my budget...gap insurance, accident insurance (aka...I can't work & don't want to lose my car!), and hitch/wiring; all those 'add-ons' are written into the loan on my current vehicle;

just gonna take a deep breath & step back...I have a 3 year old Patriot with only 27k miles and it is running well; already replaced the engine air filter & cabin air filter @ 20k miles, replaced the spark plugs @26.7k miles, and have done lower mileage oci's (2750-3500 miles average); planning on premature transmission fluid changes via flush & fill machine (40k-50k miles vs 100k-120k miles that chrysler calls for)

Last edited:
The three year itch, kmrcstinttn.

Trax or Sonic five door have been the only new cars I have been interested in. And the Patriot. Mirage because it's so basic. That's it.

You've got a lot more miles left in that Jeep and superior maintenance as a foundation for many more miles.

Good for you for stepping back. It's no crime.

Best to ya.

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
The three year itch, kmrcstinttn.

Trax or Sonic five door have been the only new cars I have been interested in. And the Patriot. Mirage because it's so basic. That's it.

You've got a lot more miles left in that Jeep and superior maintenance as a foundation for many more miles.

Good for you for stepping back. It's no crime.

Best to ya.

The Yaris hatchback is also basic, and it has that legendary Toyota quality
smile.gif

This kind of crap is common due to Americans hating their own companies. It's the cool way to be these days in modern "I don't care and I have no pride" America.

Why should we have pride if American cars suck? Have you ever driven a new Malibu? Embarrassing!

Originally Posted by Nick1994

Why should we have pride if American cars suck? Have you ever driven a new Malibu? Embarrassing!

It does have some redeeming qualities. It has decent legroom and was made with tall people in mind. Parts are easily accessible and they seem to be reliable although the 1.5 is low on power. The engines had some issues in 2016 when they first came out, but supposedly that's been fixed. It doesn't seem to me like it's worse than anything else.

Actually I walk past Kia's on National lots to take a Malibu ... but I don't doubt it's embarrassing to you ...

I like the current Trax and would choose it over the 2016. I actually looked at one at Bomnin Chevrolet before getting the KIA Sportage. But let's not get carried away with this "people lack patriotism" shtick.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay

I like the current Trax and would choose it over the 2016. I actually looked at one at Bomnin Chevrolet before getting the KIA Sportage. But let's not get carried away with this "people lack patriotism" shtick.

Ouch, I'll take a US-made Toyota or Honda please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back