Australia vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
See here. I can't help but think a spider in the office would be an ordinary occasion down under, but up here, it shuts down the government.
wink.gif
In fairness, not mentioned in that article, updated later, is that someone was actually bitten and treated.

I spent 2 years at the University of Sydney. Every year, there was a time of year when we had a brief infestation of (apparently very toxic) "Redback" spiders, that hid under toilet seats in the public restrooms. The University would post signs warning to lift the seat and inspect the toilet before using it. For the entire month, I was afraid to pee at class. I now live close to the Canadian Rockies, where there are grizzly bears. At least you can hear them and see their scat, to know to get away from their territory. In Oz, the deadliest predators were tiny snakes and spiders and jellyfish. Love Oz, but prefer the predators in Canada, which I can usually steer away from because I can hear, see and smell them!

Last edited:
LOL,
our equivalent for that is the "white tail", they have that necrotising thing going.

Redbacks are endemic, I can find them around the home any day of the year...been bitten a couple of times,by their brown cousins, but not badly.

Funnelwebs are in our district and out at the present time (warm and wet)...they are NASTY and aggressive, but no fatalities since the antivenene came in (we are encouraged to catch them and sent them to the venom labs).

Nope, wouldn't shut us down...like the three highly venomous snakes found at work so far this summer didn't either.

Love Australia and it's great citizens. We have both family (just outside of Perth) and friends that live there but it's not a place I want to visit because of all the things trying to kill you there.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow
Nope, wouldn't shut us down...like the three highly venomous snakes found at work so far this summer didn't either.
Members of a public sector union would never mistake a harmless brown spider for a brown spider so rare few Canadians have even seen it in the wild. No way they would to that to get out of work!

Normal Canadians aren't that soft.

Originally Posted by PFP
I spent 2 years at the University of Sydney. Every year, there was a time of year when we had a brief infestation of (apparently very toxic) "Redback" spiders, that hid under toilet seats in the public restrooms. The University would post signs warning to lift the seat and inspect the toilet before using it. For the entire month, I was afraid to pee at class. I now live close to the Canadian Rockies, where there are grizzly bears. At least you can hear them and see their scat, to know to get away from their territory. In Oz, the deadliest predators were tiny snakes and spiders and jellyfish. Love Oz, but prefer the predators in Canada, which I can usually steer away from because I can hear, see and smell them!

There's few things more alarming and terrifying than sitting down on the toilet half asleep and then feeling 8 little legs crawling across your backside, and taking a downward detour halfway across. Even worse is when you try and stand up and brush it away, but where'd it go now!? Getting robbed at gunpoint was literally less terrifying than being violated by spider at 5AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back