What oil for Twin Turbo V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport. It has the twin turbo 3.6 w/420HP. I'm currently running PP 5W-30. Would you recommend anything different, and what kind of intervals? I've been going by the OLM.

Do you think going all the way to 0% on the OLM is too long?

BTW, I've only had the car <6 months, so looking for long term practices for this vehicle.

Generally speaking, the oil life monitor in GM cars will hit zero long before the oil is unsuitable, but just to be safe you might want to get a UOA done to see what condition the oil is in when the OLM hits zero.

Originally Posted by blsnelling
Do you think going all the way to 0% on the OLM is too long?

BTW, I've only had the car div>

With a high quality oil like Pennzoil Platinum(PP) I do not think it's too long of a duration.

Twin Turbos, 5K would be my routine, Pennz Platinum 5w30 is perfect with Wix/Napa filters, what i run on my 17 Regal GS 2.0T

Originally Posted by Patman
Generally speaking, the oil life monitor in GM cars will hit zero long before the oil is unsuitable, but just to be safe you might want to get a UOA done to see what condition the oil is in when the OLM hits zero.
I think GM fixed their problems of the past going too long when they added a 7,500 mile upper limit to the OLM calculation.

I have a 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport. It has the twin turbo 3.6 w/420HP. I'm currently running PP 5W-30. Would you recommend anything different, and what kind of intervals? I've been going by the OLM.
Ravenol DXG 5w30 (all-PAO/ester, tungsten/moly, no Group3 like the PP). blauparts.com or amazon.com ... PP is decent stuff, all Group3+ actually, not bad, yet that is one expensive, high performance engine, and I would pull out all the stops on the premium oil I'd use. If not the Ravenol, get Mobil1 Annual Protection or Extended Performance, either one has a lot of PAO (walmart or amazon).

Change the premium oil listed above at the OLM, which is limited to 7,500 miles (1 year) these days. If short-tripping a lot or driving very hard, the OLM could be tripped earlier.

Malo83's recomendation of Wix or NapaGold (same oil filter actually) is a good one. Quality filter, silicone ADBV, good performance, better than ac-delco, Wix WL10255, NAPAgold 100255 and they have the correct bypass pressure setting. Some aftermarket oil filters (Fram Ultra does not) don't have a high enough bypass pressure valve threshold, but the Wix/NapaGold does. Purolator Boss PBL22500 has the right bypass, and is built well too, although other Purolator types are infamous for ripping holes inside them in service but not the Boss model, its fine. Advance Autoparts has it, a good choice.

Last edited:
Why would some source recommend the Wix 57045 rather than the 10255?

NM, I just read that the new/improved 10255 ups the oil bypass pressure from 12-15 to 22.

Last edited:
So, PP Ultra or M1 EP?

Your first reply from, Dave1251, is all the info you need.

Motor on!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by irv
So, PP Ultra or M1 EP?

Your first reply from, Dave1251, is all the info you need.

Motor on!
cheers3.gif

I agree. All the oils mentioned are great but so is PP. Take your pick.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I think GM fixed their problems of the past going too long when they added a 7,500 mile upper limit to the OLM calculation.

If that is true,

keep doing everything the same,
but may just as well run the OLM all the way down to 0%....
and the oil will actually still be good at that point.

So, PP Ultra or M1 EP?
Since you have a direct injected, blown six from GM, follow the the anti-LSPI recommendation and go with M1 EP or AP. (Annual Protection one is preferred on such an expensive ride, why not just get the best?) Or the latest Ravenol DXG is dexos1 Gen2 as well.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
So, PP Ultra or M1 EP?
Since you have a direct injected, blown six from GM, follow the the anti-LSPI recommendation and go with M1 EP or AP. (Annual Protection one is preferred on such an expensive ride, why not just get the best?) Or the latest Ravenol DXG is dexos1 Gen2 as well.

All full synthetic PPs are API SN Plus as well.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/know-your-oil/what-you-need-to-know-about-api-sn-plus.html

All full synthetic PPs are API SN Plus as well.
He asked specifically about the Ultra, not PP. Ultra is not SN+ nor is it dexos1 Gen2. High calcium. They never updated it to the latest specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back