To change or not to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has probably been asked and answered, so I apologize that I couldn't find it if it has. If so please refer me to the thread. But my question is wither to stay with a full change or say every 2500 miles change the filter and fill back up and never do a full change? Right now I do 10000 mile oci on my 2003 4.3 blazer (has111000m on it) with Amsoil 5w30 or 10w30 (whichever is available at the time) and a Amsoil EA023. If I go to the 2500 filter change I'll still use a quality filter (Wix, Hastings, Baldwin,) but not the EA023 as it would be a waste and cost to much.

Would like to get some opinions, yea or nay?

Thanks!!!!

I would use a Fram Ultra for 2 or 3 OCI's. I have a 2006 5.3 Trailblazer and do that, 7500 mile OCI's. I also add about 2 qts per OCI, you know 5.3 and all. I use Supertech full syn 5W30.

I would suggest a Fram Ultra, dual synthetic rated media. Rated 20,000 miles. If you feel comfortable with 10,000 OCI then the FU will fulfill your needs. A Wix filter should go 10,000 miles easily. But it depends on your driving, condition of engine, among many other factors.

No prob, to each his own. I see no reason to change your filter so often, thats just when it it performing its best.

I would just stick to what your doing with 10,000 intervals,My 4.3 has seen nothing but parts store 5w-30 and napa pro select filters,its whole life and runs great,towing a trailer 95% of the time

Changing the oil filter every 2500 miles is a waste of money no matter how you look at it, totally unnecessary. Any of the premium oil filters can handle that full 10k interval easily.

Royal Purple is another good option! but, it's a bit more expensive. You can get a 6 pack of Ultra on flebay for 25.00. Depends on application.

I'm staying with Amsoil. The only question I have is should I stay with the 10000m complete change, or just change my filter every 2500/3000m and refill? (with Amsoil)

No need to stay with amsoil.... if you change the filter (say $4) every 2500 miles, and add 1 Quart ($12-$15) every 2500...... well, then you may as well just change it every 5,000 with conventional.

I HONESTLY think if you do 1 ($4-$5) oil filter very 5,000 miles, and add 1 quart amsoil every 5,000 - that truck will run about forever. Or until the oil suction screen plugs up.

My whole objective is to get away from a complete oil change ever again,... if I go to the 2500 filter change, or whatever mileage filter change.

I cannot see why you want to change a filter that is good for a minimum of 10k miles so often. What is the point? Your filter will improve with age up to 10k easily.

The logic is: quit doing oil changes. Changing the filter and topping off @ 2500, 3000, 5000 etc, Amsoil lasts longer than that and at those filter change intervals your always adding some fresh oil to the mix and getting rid of some used oil out of the mix. Adding fresh oil in every so often should keep the TBN good.

What brand filter would you be talking about? Right now I do go 10000 with a EA023 Amsoil filter.

Originally Posted by jrod102
Sorry but I won't use a 'Fram' anything.

Have you read the info on the Fram Ultra filter-on here and else where? OR-have you been under a rock?

I suppose you could use a high quality synthetic oil, add a by-pass filter system, replace the full flow filter at sensible intervals (10,000 miles for a good one), and drain and replace a bit of oil periodically. In theory the oil won't wear out, the full flow filter would keep the oil clean, and draining and adding a bit of oil periodically should keep the TBN and additives at a reasonable level. But you'd have to do an oil analysis from time to time to be sure you aren't risking damage to your engine.

But that would be complicated, expensive and a lot of work. It sounds more like an experiment than real life. Or what you might do if you had an oil sump with 300 gallons in it.

It would be far easier and less costly to use dino oil and change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals. As for the filter, a good one should last 10,000 miles. I change the filters on both of my cars every other change so they're going at least 10,000 miles.

Or use a good quality synthetic oil and a quality oil filter, and work your way up from 6 or 8,000 miles using an oil analysis to make sure you aren't over-extending.

I have worked in the automotive business since I was a kid. Didn't use Fram 30 odd years ago not gonna start now when theres other options. I'll stay under my rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back