How To Choose The Proper Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've been getting into automotive repair on my own car over the past couple years (basic stuff - brakes, changing fluids, replaced a thermostat, that kind of stuff). This next weekend I'm planning on swapping the window regulator in my GF's car as well as taking a look at her other windows running slowly and her driver door latch sticking when it's sub-freezing. These tasks are going to take some lubrication, and I asked on another discussion site which ones are suggested. I was told dry silicon lubricant for the rubber window tracks, and "traditional grease" (which is...?) for everything else.

This has prompted me to read up on the types of lubricants. I was aware of greases, oils, and dry lubricants, and have a vague idea which category to use for various applications, but within those categories I haven't the foggiest idea how to settle on the right kinds. Take greases for example - I've seen lithium grease, silicon paste, moly grease, all-purpose grease, and a whole pile of others. When would each be used? I know that in situations where contact with plastic or rubber, or in high heat situations, I would want to utilize special kinds, but beyond that I'm lost. I've started collecting a few kinds for the various jobs I've done simply based on what was recommended by the people whose videos I watched or general recommendations online. However, I don't know in what other situations these would be useful, and I've probably got overlap in the lubricants that I've purchased. I would like to be able to know what kind of lubricant to use in various situations, rather than spending a bunch of time reading online for each specific job I run into.

Any good resources for someone new to mechanical stuff? Searching online most that I'm seeing are throwing out a lot of terms I'm not familiar with, making it obvious I'm not the intended audience. Is there a good "idiot's guide to lubrication" (along with a fairly complete list of lubricants I would find useful in automotive and homeowner situations).

Thanks, all - I figured if anyone on the internet could point me in the right direction, it'd be you guys (I spent a lot of time lurking here, reading up on motor oil before deciding on a brand).

Last edited:
Definitely will be following this thread. For as much time as I spend on this forum, I've only barely dabbled in the grease section. Looking forward to the responses.

People get a bit crazy talking about grease and oils. Personally, I don't think the difference between the best and the merely serviceable is all that large. Whatever grease you get will probably be a lifetime supply unless you buy the single dose packet.

Don't sell yourself short, changing out a thermostat is more than basic stuff. Filling up the windshield wiper reservoir is basic stuff.

Have you changed out a window regulator or opened up a door before? Get one of those trim removal kits with the plastic pry bars and whatnot. And watch the sharp edges inside the door. I was covered in little cuts last time I messed with the inside of a door.

I would suggest an opening paragraph. Then your list of questions. Welcome to BITOG NateR. There are some truly gifted people on these forums that can answer your questions, so I defer to them.

Have you tried silicone spray in the window tracks? I had slow rear windows and lubing up the rubber tracks helped.

Originally Posted by Leo99
People get a bit crazy talking about grease and oils. Personally, I don't think the difference between the best and the merely serviceable is all that large. Whatever grease you get will probably be a lifetime supply unless you buy the single dose packet.

Don't sell yourself short, changing out a thermostat is more than basic stuff. Filling up the windshield wiper reservoir is basic stuff.

Have you changed out a window regulator or opened up a door before? Get one of those trim removal kits with the plastic pry bars and whatnot. And watch the sharp edges inside the door. I was covered in little cuts last time I messed with the inside of a door.

When I was doing out my original post, I was kind of wondering if I was overthinking it... but I'm too much of a perfectionist to go with "merely serviceable" much of the time
smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have some plastic pry tools - the last couple things I've done with her car involved prying plastic trim pieces, so made sure to have those. Regarding opening a door, I had not until I pulled the regulator from a car in a local junkyard - and an added (big) bonus to getting cheap parts that way is I have a trial run on a car that doesn'thave to look pretty when I'm done
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Onetor
I would suggest an opening paragraph. Then your list of questions. Welcome to BITOG NateR. There are some truly gifted people on these forums that can answer your questions, so I defer to them.

Hmm... unfortunately I don't see an edit button... is there a time limit to how long a post can be edited?

Originally Posted by mclasser
Have you tried silicone spray in the window tracks? I had slow rear windows and lubing up the rubber tracks helped.

I have not - this will be my first go at it. Thanks for the suggestion! How well would a standard silicon spray work vs a dry silicone spray?

Originally Posted by mclasser

^this.
I like to clean the tracks first with a shop towel and alcohol. Just fold it thin and insert into the track and move it up and down. Then either spray the sili onto another towel or spray directly into the track. Should last a few years before you have to repeat.

Regarding the latch, it is usually best to clean them first (like most things). I use penetrating oil as a cleaner, which I let soak for a few min or longer depending how gunked the latch is. I then blow out the gunk and oil with air compressor. Then its ready for lube. White lithium grease is excellent for this purpose, but only if you have a light colored car. Otherwise your hinges will be caked with white grease! For my cars (all of them are black), i use a lube made for the purpose, such as GM Super Lube 12346241. It goes on like WD40 but thickens to a layer of grease. I have found it to last a long time, but that depends on how dusty your conditions are and how often you wash the car. This lube would also work well for virtually everything inside the door.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back