Best oil for 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

...it seems you're caught up in the "thicker is better" rationale. Not so at all. Thicker oil does not always assure "better" wear protection...

dnewton, thanks very much for your comments.

In considering optimal viscosity for my vehicle and usage, I'm thinking less about wear and more about mitigating two existing issues:

- Burns about 1 quart every 1,500 miles with conventional 10W-30
- Some oil leakage from valve cover gasket.

My general thought is to get the thinnest viscosity that still provides good wear characteristics and mitigates the burn and leak issues.

The US Owner's Manual recommends 10W-30, but this is restricted by US CAFE energy conservation regulations.

The Australia Owner's Manual is unrestricted by CAFE and recommends 10W-30 or 15W-40, et al. depending upon outdoor temps.

If my vehicle did not have the two issues mentioned, there would be less reason for me to consider 15W-40, and I might select a 10W-30 instead for better gas mileage.

Thanks very much for all the feedback so far.

The goal is to identify the best oil formulation in the thinnest viscosity that still provides good wear characteristics and mitigates the burn and leak issues.

Here's the plan:

1) Clean engine with either BG Quick Clean for Engines or Seafoam Motor Treatment.
http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html

2) Treat engine with Auto-Rx.

3) Perform 6,000 mile OCIs:

- Start with thinner factory (non-CAFE restricted) recommended oil and move up toward thicker.

- Stop increasing viscosity when adequate reduction in burn/seepage is achieved, say, at least a 50% reduction.

Oil progression:

Chevron Supreme 10W-30
Chevron Supreme High Mileage 10W-30
Chevron Supreme 10W-40
Chevron Supreme High Mileage 10W-40
Delo 400 Multigrade 15W-40

The Australia Owner's Manual also recommends 5W-30 and 20W-50, but I am not considering those ends of the viscosity spectrum.

Thoughts?

I'd use a good PCMO or HDMO in the 15W-40/10W-30 weights, the latter if you're concerned with fuel economy and cold starts even though a LC is no Prius. There's also a ester-containing engine flush available but it's hard to find but it's not as harsh as commercially-had "engine flushes" which are nothing more than kerosene, butyl cellosolve, and naptha/stoddard solvent.

FWIW, I'm running synthetic in a 1991 Lexus V8 shy of 240K on it. Doesn't burn or leak the stuff at all.

Originally Posted By: ELW
Here's the plan...

Thoughts?

Seems overly complicated but they all are good oils so go for it.

This may be a stupid question but why does Rotella 5w40 oil say Duty Diesel Engine Oil? Is this the correct oil to use in gas motors? Thanks

Originally Posted by hogan646
This may be a stupid question but why does Rotella 5w40 oil say Duty Diesel Engine Oil? Is this the correct oil to use in gas motors? Thanks

It really depends. If you have some I will use it for my gas powered car and a few others if you send it to me.

Back in the early 2000's it was widely suggested on the Land Cruiser forums to use M1 0w40 in these trucks. I did so for over 10 years.

Just two days ago, I switched to M1 EP HM 5w30 and I've been pleased with the results. It seems to run quieter and smoother too.

These trucks run all over the world with sub-par oil of various viscosity. I don't think you can go wrong with any name brand lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back