Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W20, 9,881miles, Honda HR-V 1.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the UOA for my 2016 Honda HR-V.

I was planning on leaving the oil for another 10k but after seeing a 4% fuel dilution and high silicon levels, it'll be changed.

Any ideas on why these levels are high?

Oil Used: Mobile 1 AP 0W20
# of miles on oil: 9,881
# of months oil was used: 6 months
# of miles on the car: 42,192
Air Filter: OEM
Oil Filter: Mobil 1 Extended

Code
Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 18

Chromium (Cr)
Lead (Pb) 7

Copper (Cu) 13

Tin (Sn)
Aluminium (Al) 6

Nickel (Ni)
Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)

Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 23

Sodium (Na) 4

Potassium (K)
Coolant No

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 413

Calcium (Ca) 1039

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 604

Zinc (Zn) 648

Molybdenum (Mo) 91

Boron (B) 58

Contaminants

Water (%)
Physical Tests Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.1

Fuel (%) 4

Soot (%) Infrared 0.6

Physical / Chemical Base Number (mgKOH/g) 8.1

[Linked Image]

Check for any vacuum leaks or issues with the filter box regarding the silicon. Did you have smoke in the air from any wildfires this summer? That would bump the silicon. It certainly did for me two summers ago.

This is a good example of how a oil could go 20k miles but the engine won't let it.

I would run M1 EP or AFE in your Honda with a 7.5k oci

It's a fairly new engine the Si could be reading this way from leaching of sealant material which can contain copper and Si. I had really high Si (30ppm) and Copper (24ppm) in my samples with my Santa Fe when it was new until about 100K KM's (60K miles) and then it started to taper down. I wouldn't panic but look for it trending down as you accumulate more miles on the engine. Changing at shorter intervals for 3-4 of changes will help this I have found. Just use the cheapest oil that meets your required spec for these intervals and then go back to what you were using.

Good report! Thanks for posting.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by parshisa
8.1 residual TBN??!!?!! After 9k?
Lab error for sure. No way it's 8.1. New M1 AP 0w20 TBN = 7.8 for pete's sake.
About the silicon comments, I don't think its too high. New oil has 6 ppm for anti-foaming additives, and its normal for some seal material to get in there, elevating it a bit. Not too high. Look at other UOAs for similar Honda engines.
KV100 looked very normal for a 0w20, no problem, which is very inconsistent with the 4% fuel dilution reported.
I don't trust this lab. Too many weird errors.

Ugh, I was excited for this first ever UOA so it sucks the lab made some errors. I've emailed the lab to see if they have anything to say about the TBN.

This was sent to the ALS lab in Burlington. ALS is the company WIX and NAPA use for their UOAs.

Next time I'll send it to Oil Analyzers / Polaris since their reputation seems to be the best.

Found a great deal for their UOA if any other Canadians might be interested. Cummins sales and service sells a Polaris test which includes the TBN for $21.75CAD. You order it online and there are locations all over the country for pickup.
https://shopcummins.ca/collections/fluid-analysis/products/oil-analysis-advanced-amp

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions, they are appreciated!

Last edited:

Exactly what i was thinking
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Lab error for sure. No way it's 8.1. New M1 AP 0w20 TBN = 7.8 for pete's sake.
About the silicon comments, I don't think its too high. New oil has 6 ppm for anti-foaming additives, and its normal for some seal material to get in there, elevating it a bit. Not too high. Look at other UOAs for similar Honda engines.
KV100 looked very normal for a 0w20, no problem, which is very inconsistent with the 4% fuel dilution reported.
I don't trust this lab. Too many weird errors.

Concur with your general assessments on incongruent lab errors ......
Having said that, I've no doubt this AP 0W20 is doing great here and I would speculate 20k oci shouldn't be problematic.

It depends on how they measured the TBN. Unfortunatley with some engines, no matter how good the oil is, it's not worth going further than 6 months. Mobil did use GDI engines when they tested it - 2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT, 2.0L TGDI
2015 Lexus NX 200t, 2.0 L Turbo and 2016 Ford Fusion SE, 1.5 L EcoBoost. However, it would have been nice if they used the Honda 1.8 and 1.5 LOL.

Junk oil IMO- look at your iron and Copper readings with only 42k miles?? That engine is broken in already so it isn't from that. Plain and simple, this oil is NOT protecting your engine! Iron and copper are pure indicators of internal engine wear. Quit following the M1 bandwagon and put some PPU in there, watch your wear numbers come down!

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Quit following the M1 bandwagon and put some PPU in there, watch your wear numbers come down!

You're referring to Pennzoil Platinum Ultra eh? That's what I always used before changing to M1 AP.

Last edited:
Junk oil IMO- look at your iron and Copper readings with only 42k miles?? That engine is broken in already so it isn't from that. Plain and simple, this oil is NOT protecting your engine! Iron and copper are pure indicators of internal engine wear. Quit following the M1 bandwagon and put some PPU in there, watch your wear numbers come down!

Another quality spam post by our resident SOPUS shill.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Check for any vacuum leaks or issues with the filter box regarding the silicon. Did you have smoke in the air from any wildfires this summer? That would bump the silicon. It certainly did for me two summers ago.

This.

A slight uptick in iron and silicon levels can point to dirt ingress though the air intake tract. Give your airbox seal and plumbing a solid go-over.

I would be concerned about the 4% fuel as well and this is likely what will dictate how long you can safely run any lubricant in this application. I'd do another UOA at the same interval (since the oil seemed to hold up well) after checking the intake tract and see if your contamination levels change and whether fuel stays this high.

Toromont CAT is another lab choice here in Canada, which I've used in the past.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Give your airbox seal and plumbing a solid go-over.

I would be concerned about the 4% fuel as well and this is likely what will dictate how long you can safely run any lubricant in this application. I'd do another UOA at the same interval (since the oil seemed to hold up well) after checking the intake tract and see if your contamination levels change and whether fuel stays this high.

No wildfire smoke around here but I will give the airbox seal and plumbing a good inspection, thanks a lot for the tips.

Another UOA at the same interval is the plan. I've got a 5qt bottle of M1 AP ready to go. Will be sure to post the next UOA so we can compare.

You are quite welcome. It will be interesting to see how the trend begins to look with your equipment, particularly given the fuel dilution. Please post back on your findings with the filter and intake tract.

It would be interesting to run it the full year and 20k miles and see how it looks.

I'm willing to bet that, even though wear might increase, the engine will be running just fine.

The million dollar question is, how long will it hold before you start seeing signs of decreased performance?

These companies have tested this for year and I bet they know good and well that you can run 20k OCIs for 200k miles and although the engine will be varnished and not in the best shape, you will not be suffering from Lube related issues.

Most people will sell said car at that point and get a new one, having saved all that money on oil changes over the years. LOL.

This post is a great example of putting emotions ahead of data analysis.

Or maybe there's something else at play - like an leaky air intake, non-OEM filter(there is a big difference between aftermarket and the OEM Toyo Roki/Filtech elements for Hondas like oiled dual-layer media), or short tripping.

The R18 engine Honda's used for the last 12 years starting with the 8th Civic is a good motor and free of the fuel dilution scourge of the L15s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back