STP vs Fram...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok it seems testing fever has inflicted me courtesy of this site. I've been running a K&N drop in filter on my 4Runner and have had good results with it so far. But, I wanted to see if changing to a paper filter would show a decrease in Si when I sample the oil at the end of this interval. Even though I'm 1/2 way through the interval, I decided to change the filter out to a new paper one of some brand or another

I stopped at Autozone and did the quick quality comparison between a Fram and an STP filter and the results are about the same as we've seen with oil filters. The Fram is a cheap looking POS compared to the STP.

The Fram has 21 coarse pleats vs. 51 on the STP, and the media of the STP seems much finer grained. What's more, no glue is visible on the Fram to hold the element to the plastic frame. The STP on the other hand has a solid bead of adhesive to seal and secure the element to the plastic.

And to top it off, the STP is $4 cheaper. It was an easy choice. I bought the STP and left.

Edit: One thing I did notice when I changed the filter. The intake box on the engine side is perfectly clean to the eye so the K&N must not have any major problems...

[ September 21, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

I recently replaced an STP in my truck with a Purolator. The STP looked much better built. I doubt if I would have ever thought of looking very carefully before I found BITOG. Next time I will find another STP or an AC.

Disregard My Last Post

*LoL* I thought i was in the Oil Filter Section...big mistake.

However the new Fram 'tri-guard' filters look interesting..whether or not it is a fundamental change in Fram filters is worthy of more posts
smile.gif

My son replaced his Focus filter with an STP. Top quality looking filter. Seems better than OEM in construction. Intake noise a little louder. More airflow??? This particlular STP filter was made in England. I replaced my K&N with a STP (made on Mexico. No difference in noise or MPG. Quality seems auite not as good as Focus filter mentioned above, or OEM. Not junk though......

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
My son replaced his Focus filter with an STP. Top quality looking filter. Seems better than OEM in construction. Intake noise a little louder. More airflow??? This particlular STP filter was made in England. I replaced my K&N with a STP (made on Mexico. No difference in noise or MPG. Quality seems auite not as good as Focus filter mentioned above, or OEM. Not junk though......

The STP filter I got was made in Mexico and it seems to be top quality. I can't compare it to an OEM Toyota filter since I don't have one, but I doubt the OEM could be purchased for $13 either.

I'll be interested to see how long this filter lasts and how much effect it has when I do my next oil sample.

The one I bought few months ago for my Civic. It was shrink wrapped and coated with a thin layer of oil.

Wow. Oil on the filter for a Honda? That's new. Wonder if they are taking the thinking side of that of K&N filters to improve efficiency.

Hi all,

1st post. Been lurking awhile.

Honda has oiled their air filters as far back as as the '88 Civic.

Also, for the late model Civic, Honda seems to use Fram as OEM as well as replacement. Honda just put it in their own grey box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back