Mobil 1 EP vs Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 NOACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would be a better oil for 0w-20? Which has a lower NOACK?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance vs Pennzoil Platinum.

It depends on whether or not you intend to use it for extended oil change intervals beyond what is written in the onwer's manual. If so, the Mobil EP is warranted for 15,000 miles while Pennzoil is not.

Not sure about the NOACK but out of the two listed I would go with M1 EP, that oil can go longer and has better additives but they are both great oils.

Unless you are intending on extending your OCI it really does not matter. If you are extending your OCI then M-1EP will hold up longer.

Originally Posted by wdn
It depends on whether or not you intend to use it for extended oil change intervals beyond what is written in the onwer's manual. If so, the Mobil EP is warranted for 15,000 miles while Pennzoil is not.

crackmeup2.gif

You should be comparing Mobil 1 EP to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum instead, as I feel Platinum is more equivalent to the regular M1.

IMO, regular M1 and Platinum are roughly designed for 10k intervals in most* vehicles, Ultra Platinum and EP are for 15k intervals.

(*direct injected engines most likely won't be able to go this long on the OCI mind you)

Actually Ultra Platinum actually doesn't anything about miles between OCI. I am sure it can go 15K miles in certain driving habits / styles but I would do a UOA around 10K miles before going that far.

I personally don't like to run any oil over 10K unless it's all highway miles.

Last edited:
Noack is just one specification of a oil. I agree with the above comment regarding DI engines and long oci.

What's so funny? I find Pennzoil's lack of a warranty their product pretty hilarious myself.

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by wdn

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by wdn
What's so funny? I find Pennzoil's lack of a warranty their product pretty hilarious myself.

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by wdn

crackmeup2.gif

Your gullibility.
36.gif

Have a read of this and tell me exactly how Mobil is going to warranty your engine if it grenades? (Below)
Do you think it is as easy as showing them a receipt and maybe doing a UOA to prove Mobil was in use and they will replace your engine?

Like I mentioned in the other thread you likely didn't read, by the time you were done dealing with all the B.S., the investigations, the analysis, the transportation, the towing, being without a vehicle, etc, etc, etc, and banking on the remote, unlikely chance your engine will be replaced by Mobil, you would have been way further ahead to just go out and purchase a new engine yourself.

Why doesn't Pennzoil have a warranty like this you ask? Maybe because they know Mobil's isn't worth the paper it is written on.
coffee2.gif

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty

What the warranty covers
ExxonMobil Fuels & Lubricants Company, a division of Exxon Mobil Corporation ("ExxonMobil"), provides this limited warranty to the purchasers who use Mobil 1 lubricants in their vehicles. This limited warranty covers the lubricant and critical engine parts lubricated by the lubricant. ExxonMobil warrants its lubricants to be free from defects and that the lubricant you purchased will protect your vehicle's critical engine parts from oil-related failure.

Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner's manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.

What the limited warranty does not cover
This limited warranty excludes:

Mobilâ„¢-branded lubricants used in mechanically deficient equipment as a result of abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; damage from casualty, shipment or accident; or, equipment modification done without written authorization from the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil.
Mobil lubricants that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorized for use by ExxonMobil.
Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Mobil lubricants.
Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear
What the period of coverage is
The Mobil 1 limited warranty is valid for 10,000 miles or your vehicle's OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

Additional requirements for all Mobil 1 products include:
Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and
an oil change must be completed every twelve (12) months.

What we will do to correct problems
ExxonMobil will replace any lubricant that is defective. In addition, if there is equipment failure due to the lubricant you purchased, and the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant, at no cost to you, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the OEM or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.

How you can get service
To file a claim under this limited warranty, you must:

Upon discovery of the damage (but not later than six (6) months from the date the damage occurred) call 1-800-AskMobil (1-800-275-6624).
Allow an ExxonMobil representative to examine the equipment and maintenance records, if available, and provide proof of purchase to determine the extent of the damage and to confirm that the lubricant was the cause.
Allow an ExxonMobil representative to obtain an oil sample from the engine for oil analysis at no cost to you to assist in determining the cause of the equipment failure.
How state law relates to the limited warranty
This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.

The remedy provided here will be your only recovery against ExxonMobil. You will not be able to recover incidental damages (for example, transportation costs to and from the ExxonMobil representative for inspection of the equipment, loss of use, towing charges, bus fare, car rentals or other incidental damages) or consequential damages (the cost of repairing or replacing other property which was damaged when the lubricant was defective). Some states do not allow the exclusion of or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Unless you are intending on extending your OCI it really does not matter. If you are extending your OCI then M-1EP will hold up longer.

This^^^

The M1 product does have lower volatility than does the SOPUS one and does offer better mrv/ccv.
M1 AFE beats PP in both measures as well.
Our '12 Accord has seen both and I'd use either without a second thought.
For factory recommended OCIs there really aren't any bad oils in this grade, although lower volatility is probably desirable.

Originally Posted by wemay

This^^^

And UOAs have proven this, and if so, for just how much longer?

Many vehicle/oils nowadays, especially using synthetic oils, can easily go 10,000 miles or longer. You don't need to pay extra for some jug that reads 10 or 15,000 miles guaranteed because your owners manual may tell you the same thing, and that is just using dino oils, unless otherwise specified.

Marketing at it's finest.
coffee2.gif

The majority of automakers today call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and the interval can go as high as 15,000 miles in some cars. Yet this wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/stop-changing-your-oil.html

Hello.

I am asking because I been lurking on here, reading about the sulfate ash, NOACK, calcium, and phosphorous etc.. But there no mention of the numbers for Mobil 1 EP and Pennzoil Platinum.

Reason why I didn't include Pennzoil Ultra because I can't get at Walmart for cheap.

As for specs, which oil, Mobil 1 EP vs PP, would be better for GDI engines?

Not looking to make an oil catch can either.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
The M1 product does have lower volatility than does the SOPUS one and does offer better mrv/ccv.
M1 AFE beats PP in both measures as well.
Our '12 Accord has seen both and I'd use either without a second thought.
For factory recommended OCIs there really aren't any bad oils in this grade, although lower volatility is probably desirable.

Hi.

Mobil 1 AFE has a NOACK of 10.8 vs PP has a NOACK of 10.3. But PP has higher Calcium and Phosphorous so wonder if that is bad?

Also there is no NOACK specs for Mobil 1 EP, which is what I would like to know.

The Mobil 1 EP beats the PP on pour point and flash point however.

They are both good oil. for my wife's car, i use PP 5Wx30 in winter and M1 EP 10Wx30 in summer. It burns VERY little oil with either. Car doesn't burn much oil in general. I've used chevron supreme in it and same results except it gets dark very quickly when I use conventional oil.

My wife thinks the car is "kind of quiet" with PP. I am changing the oil in a week or so to winter oil (PP 5Wx30).
Not going to remind her but curious to see if she says anything
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back