First turbo oil and filter suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Teeter
0w-20 synthetic. I don't know anything about qualities of different brands or anything.

Well you've come to the right place. Luckily, the choices of quality 0w20 oils are bountiful. You want to look at certifications/specifications. If I recall, Toyota calls for an API SN/GF-5 but that's about it. Any of the majors and even house brands you see on the shelves at auto parts stores, Walmart, Meijer, etc. will meet this requirement.

If you're doing 5k changes, any of them will treat you well. I'd recommend going for the cheapest of the bunch. You have a mild climate in NC so no need to look for the especially thin 0w20s. I've used Mag1, Mobil1, SynPower, Edge and QSUD in 0w20 flavor. No complaints on any of them.

With regards to filter, you're using a cartridge filter so not much difference in build quality. I'd be looking at efficiency ratings and going with the filter that offers the highest filtering efficiency.

0w-20 synthetic. I don't know anything about qualities of different brands or anything.

There are many quality 0w20 oils available now. Pick any major brand with SN+ d1G2 specs and run it with no worries.

It is 0W20 no synthetic requirement although the majority of 0W20's are synthetic. Just let your dealer do the changes if its already part of your purchase package.

Originally Posted by dave1251
if its already part of your purchase package.
Not on used ones like this.
Got my wife used Lexus nx 200t. Looking for best oil filter options for a turbo. Probably do 5000 mile oil changes.
You used the word "best". That tells me you're open to the best, not just something that meets the minimum SN-GF5 specs like others are dumbing this down to be. ... Better: dexos1 0w20 (which is also SN-GF5 of course)..... Best: Ravenol 0w20 because they use all PAO/ester formulas, or Mobil1 Annual Protection 0w20 (walmart) because of its advanced anti-ox, best bet ... amazon.com or blauparts.com . ... Best oil filter: Fram Ultra XG9972 fits a '15-'18 NX200t (walmart), as it is built the best and filters better than the other choices.

I would suggest Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum. 0W-20 in the winter and 5W-20 in the summer.

Is the oil filter a spin-on style, or replaceable cartridge?

I'd stick with OE filter check eBay you most likely will find in bulk of 6. 5k intervals is short I'd say whatever you could get on sale Wal-Mart supertech 0w20 would serve you fine.

There's really no difference in 0w20 and 5w20 for his climate unless it's cost. he could run a 5w20 conventional during summer since he's running short OCI'S.

0W-30, 5W-30 10W-30 or a 0w-40. syn oil changed as you mentioned would be conservative.

Got my wife used Lexus nx 200t. Looking for best oil filter options for a turbo. Probably do 5000 mile oil changes.
We actually know what the pistons might look like in a 2015 Lexus NX200t after 120,000 miles, changing M1 AP 0w20 every 20,000 miles. If they look too black for you, change your M1 AP 0w20 out every 12,000 miles max instead of 20,000. Or, one could assume Ravenol 0w20 would perform better, not really sure, but Ravenol does use premium base oils, USVO, etc., hopefully better than M1 AP. From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-zDt9FGJi8

LexusNX200tPistonBlack.JPG

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
We actually know what the pistons might look like in a 2015 Lexus NX200t after 120,000 miles, changing M1 AP 0w20 every 20,000 miles. If they look too black for you, change your M1 AP 0w20 out every 12,000 miles max instead of 20,000. Or, one could assume Ravenol 0w20 would perform better, not really sure, but Ravenol does use premium base oils, USVO, etc., hopefully better than M1 AP. From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-zDt9FGJi8

I just watched the video. That piston looks horrible!

Originally Posted by CT8
0W-30, 5W-30 10W-30 or a 0w-40. syn oil changed as you mentioned would be conservative.

With vw504/507....BMW LL-04....MB 229.51/52 specs if he can get them there... These are all for TURBO engines also

Yes they are low saps specs...but he is planing 5k oci...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back