Tires for the Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Planning on replacing the tires on the Sonata next spring. But I'd like to make a plan in the event a tire fails, then I'll know what to order.

The Sonata is my ~20k mile a year daily driver. My requirements for a tire are they they're quiet and have decent tread life. Currently have a set of Kumho Solus TA31's that come with the car. I'm not a fan of the noise. Don't care about wet weather performance or snow.

I'm not a stickler for handling, but don't want General Altimax RT43's as those made my Camry go from being a baked potato to a twice baked potato.

Also not looking to buy really pricy tires as it ain't no Mercedes or Cadillac. Just looking for decent middle of the road tires. Michelin isn't gonna happen. Size 205/65-16.

Tires I was thinking of:
Cooper CS5 Ultra
Cooper CS3 Touring
Pirelli P4 FourSeasons Plus
Continental PureContact/TrueContact/ProContact - Not really understanding these, the descriptions basically look the same to me

Thanks for any insight.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Pirelli P7's if the price is good.
I wish they made them in my size. My Sonata is a base model with 16's.

I have Cooper RS3-A tires on my Fusion. Nice smooth and responsive handling, decently quiet, and quite good tread life. Tread warranty was 40,000 miles, but they've already long since surpassed that, and they still have around 5-6/32" left on the tread.

They were much quieter when new, but now that they have over 50,000 miles and nearly 3 years on them in Phoenix heat, they are louder than they were. This is to be expected though, IMHO.

CS3 and CS5 tires should be even better than my RS3's for your Hyundai.

205/65-16
In Phoenix, you don't need all-season tires

Grand touring summer tires will be quieter and still have decent treadlife.

Pirelli has the Cinturato P7 summer tire in your size. Part number is 2485100

These tires would be the best for you and available in your size
Goodyear TripleMax
Hankook Kinergy Eco
Pirelli Cinturato P7 (1010 is a Canadian site, shipping to the US is $15/tire)

Take a look at the Goodyear Eagle Sport. I put a set on my wife's KIA Optima and they have been a good tire. I like the raised bead or rim protection built into the tire. They are good in wet conditions.

I have Continental PureContact on two of our cars
I like them because of the wet and snow traction - close to the best on all-season I've tried - at average price. If you do not need that - you can look elsewhere.
The tread life is rated at 55k by CR, I'm about to get more like 65k on the older set we have.
I would not call these tires quiet, but I also have seen worse.

Originally Posted by writes123
Not sure if they are in your size but look into General Altimax RT43's.

He said right in his initial post that he did NOT want those.

I know you despise Michelin, but the Defender T+H is probably the perfect tire for this application. It will meet your speed rating requirements and when Costco runs their $129 off ($70 off plus free install), you can have a full set installed for about $450.

My recommendation, since I owned the same car and put these tires on it, would be the Michelin Premier A/S but that seems to already have been ruled out of your equation.

I did own a set of Cooper CS3's. They were meh. I'm assuming meaningful upgrades were made by CS5. And for the price, you probably can't beat them.

The Cooper CS3 has been discontinued and replaced by the Evolution Touring. Neither of those tires meet the requirements for your Sonata. The CS5 Ultra Touring would be the Cooper Tire for your car.

Just put the CS5 Ultra on a Lexus ES. Very happy so far.

We had used their budget line "Mastercraft" Strategy the prior 55k miles and I was pleased. Good life (if not quite to stated life), excellent wet performance (may not matter to you, but did to us), quiet, mediocre snow performance. I don't expect a lot more from the CS5, but if it's as good or a little better than their discount tire, I'll still be pleased. Great price from Discount Tire.

RT43 at 44PSI
smile.gif

Last edited:
Falken Sincera SN201 A/S

Falken Sincera SN250 A/S

Nexen Aria AH7

Yokohama Avid Ascend - 100k warranty

General Exclaim HPX's are the best of the Walmart tires, at least in my experience although I haven't tried all of the various Goodyear-Kelly Wally only variants. Replaced the front Solus's in my never rotated Hertz car and liked 'em well enough so I just put two more on this week. Look more aggressive than the Solus but seem quieter-- at least with lower mileage. Highly recommended if you don't need a sporty tire. Think they have a 700 or 800 tread rating IIRC.

The CS5 is a reasonably quiet tire, but it won't be as quiet as a summer tire like the Hankook Kinergy Eco. Summer tires typically have a smoother tread and no sipes.

My only experience with the CS5 Ultra is mostly local city driving, low speeds, high traffic, mostly under 40 mph, where tire noise won't be much of a factor anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back