2015 Forester XT QSUD D1G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

So after using the PP and reading it might cause a reaction with the oil cooler and resulting in high copper in the oil, I decided to try a new oil.

This time around, I went with the new d1g2 formula of qsud and I am happy to report that copper is way down!

I ran a can of CRC GDI cleaner, that's why it's mentioned in the comments.

I went with low kms this time around to monitor copper, but this fill I will push it to 6000-7000 kms.

OilReports-1.jpg

Last edited:
Fuel dilution might be higher than the estimated 0.8% Blackstone says it is.
Low flashpoint & low KV100 indicated a thinning that may not all be VII permanent shearing.
Looks like your oil has always gotten to be thin.
Iron looks great though. This engines tolerates the thinning quite well.
My recommendation: Use M1 AFE 0w30 in the coldest 6 months of the year, and M1 ESP 5w30 (thicker HTHS for that turbo) in the hottest 6 months. Matches Canadian seasonal patterns.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Low flashpoint & low KV100 indicated a thinning that may not all be VII permanent shearing.
My recommendation: Use M1 AFE 0w30 in the coldest 6 months of the year, and M1 ESP 5w30 (thicker HTHS for that turbo) in the hottest 6 months. Matches Canadian seasonal patterns.

Thanks for the recommendation, I might try it, though M1 is considerably more expensive up north.

From what I seen, all SN oil brands shears a lot in this engine....

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
It's easier to just run 0W40 year round for me and I live in Southern Ontario. If OP lives in an actual cold part of Canada they might want a 0Wx for when they need to tow their skidoo to their mechanic's igloo.
Originally Posted by jbutch
Thanks for the recommendation, I might try it, though M1 is considerably more expensive up north.

From what I seen, all SN oil brands shears a lot in this engine....
M1 or Edge are on sale all the time for under $30 at Canadian Tire. T6 also goes on sale from time to time. There was a recent M1 sale where it was $25 a jug before tax at CT, that's an insane price!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Is this 5W30?

It is.

It has sheared down to a 20 grade though.

Every oil I have tried in this engine sheared down to a 20 grade.

Is this 5W30?

It is.

ACEA C3 5W30's stay in grade.
55.gif

I'm not completely convinced that the high copper with PP is from the oil cooler, only because WRX's without oil coolers also show high copper with PP.
21.gif
OAI UOA's using GC to test fuel usually show around 2-4% with some cars showing even higher dilution.

I'm looking forward to Ascent uoa's since it will be the first Subaru turbo to spec a 20 grade. But yeah, Subaru DIT's generally do well on oil with an operating viscosity of a 20 grade (in terms of uoa wear metals) as long as the car is stock.

Originally Posted by bluesubie
Is this 5W30?

It is.

55.gif

I'm not completely convinced that the high copper with PP is from the oil cooler, only because WRX's without oil coolers also show high copper with PP.
21.gif
OAI UOA's using GC to test fuel usually show around 2-4% with some cars showing even higher dilution.

I'm looking forward to Ascent uoa's since it will be the first Subaru turbo to spec a 20 grade. But yeah, Subaru DIT's generally do well on oil with an operating viscosity of a 20 grade (in terms of uoa wear metals) as long as the car is stock.

Still under warranty so gotta stick with SN at the moment.

Wrx does not have an oil cooler?

Is this 5W30?

It is.

55.gif

21.gif

Still under warranty so gotta stick with SN at the moment.

Wrx does not have an oil cooler?

They dropped it several years ago.

Thanks! Looks like it was missing between MY2008 and MY2014.

Back to my original comment, other than in a new engine typically you'll see higher copper from oil cooler leaching when running high ZDDP oil.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/646/copper-diesel-engine-oil

Would be interesting to have Terry Dyson's comments on this but I don't know of any Subaru DIT owners that have used him that ran PP.

Last edited:

Back to my original comment, other than in a new engine typically you'll see higher copper from oil cooler leaching when running high ZDDP oil.

Would be interesting to have Terry Dyson's comments on this but I don't know of any Subaru DIT owners that have used him that ran PP.

Interesting read!

It might be harmless but I was really relieved when I saw the drastic drop in copper from switching from PP to QSUD, haha

I heard about Terry Dyson and it would be really interesting to know his opinion on why high copper could be caused by a certain oil.

Also if you look at the very first UOA in my report there was already high copper and the oil wasn't PP, it was Mobil Super 3000. So It'S not only PP that causes high copper.

Is this 5W30?

It is.

And when the engine was tested the rest oil sheerd yet the manufacturer deemed this acceptable.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Is this 5W30?

It is.

And when the engine was tested the rest oil sheerd yet the manufacturer deemed this acceptable.

The FA20 (non turbo) in the BRZ requires 0w-20, so maybe they expect the oil to sheardown a bit but is acceptable?

This is why I am not concerned about using a 8+ cSt. oil in the FA engine. I intend to get Terry to look at my UOA after a couple analysis on the QSUD. Seems like a great oil.

Here is an update, I extended to 7000km and the sample was still great.

Aluminum is a bit high, but other than that, its pretty darn good.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 34
Nothing wrong with that aluminum number. In fact it's lower if you figure it as ppm per 1000km

Good report.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Nothing wrong with that aluminum number. In fact it's lower if you figure it as ppm per 1000km

Good report.

Yeah, I'm glad the copper issue is finally resolved.

QSUD is a really good oil, underated imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back