No center tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory, could a filter media with wire backing (fram ultra, wix xp) be strong enough without a center tube at all? It would need metal end caps for the media/wire to be glued into with a resin. Without a center tube, there would be less flow restriction.

There is no flow restriction right now due to the center tube.
Look at the total area of the inlet holes, then look at the total area of the center tube holes/louvers, the center tube (outlet) has more flow than the base plate (inlet).

I wouldn't want to try it. The reason the full synthetic media is wire backed is because it needs the wire backing to maintain its shape.

Synthetic media cannot be bent or folded to maintain it's shape. It's soft and flexible That's why mesh or wire backing is used.

Yes. Many cartridge filters have no center tube (other than the one that's part of the housing), and some have no end caps.

Originally Posted by ZraHamilton
In theory, could a filter media with wire backing (fram ultra, wix xp) be strong enough without a center tube at all? It would need metal end caps for the media/wire to be glued into with a resin. Without a center tube, there would be less flow restriction.

If the wire backing was strong enough to do the job without a center tube, then it would have to be just as stiff structurally as a center tube. Center tubes don't cause much delta-p compared to the media ... unless of course the center tube has louvers and they are barely opened up to a fine slit. That can happen, so always inspect louver formation if buying filters that use a louvered center tube.

Originally Posted by ZraHamilton
How so? The element is the restriction in the filter.

It could not. The center tube is what supports the media when oil is flowing through it. The SAE spec is no collapse at up to 75psi differential pressure. Even cartridge filters have a center tube built into the housing. It is an essential part of the filter cartridge regardless of media construction. Believe me, if there was any way to eliminate that or any other part of the filter and still have it function, oil filter companies would do just that. Profits in filtration are measured in pennies, especially at the lower cost end of the spectrum.
As far as restriction goes, it is at or less than 1.5 psi when the filter is new. The only way it becomes restrictive is with medial loading and once that reaches the bypass valve setting for pressure differential, the valve opens and lets unfiltered oil through the engine. Something that never occurs if you use good oil and filters and change when you should.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Motorking
... Even cartridge filters have a center tube built into the housing. It is an essential part of the filter cartridge regardless of media construction. ...
However, I've seen cartridge filters in which there was a large radial gap between the inner creases of the media and the center tube. I even used one of them---under near-ideal conditions. It didn't fail, but worried me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back