18 F150 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
My poor RAM was rear ended last week and we will be in a new 18 F150 for a few weeks. Here are my impressions of it.

It's a 3.5 ecoboosted example, a bit of a surprise in a rental fleet. Truly amazing power output, even at low revs. But we all knew that part. It still has that weird disconnected feel to the throttle and some surging, nothing too bad but objectionable to me. I like the wide ratios in the slushbox, they seem ideal for an engine so strong. The cab is somewhat close feeling compared to my RAM, and the seats are horrific, IMO. And I really disliked the steering, with a real dead spot on center that you have to get past before you get any meaningful input back from the front. The truck has 4 full size doors but the rear seats are not nearly as well organized as the RAM, lacking the flat floor trick as well as seeming smaller all around. Can't move the pedals either, which is a huge plus in the RAM.

Add to this the excellent brakes and you get a pickup that is very competent in daily driving, but comes up short in ergonomics. Checking pricing I find this very simply optioned Ford was quite a bit more than my RAM.

It kills me to say it but I wouldn't even look at a Ford PU if I were in the market.

Was in the market a couple months ago. Being a Ford guy, I checked on what Ford had to offer and walked away disappointed. Reliability just isn't there anymore IMO and at the inflated prices combined with the fact that they don't offer an engine that interests me I ended up with a Tundra. The only V-8 engine offered in the F-150 is the 5.0 that has disappointed me in 2 trucks previous and I can't buy into the Ecoboost hype. Sure the Tundra lacks a few features I had in my previous F-150, but I am confident that the 5.7 won't require an engine replacement every 100,000 miles as my last 2 F-150 5.0 trucks did.

as an owner of an 18 F150 I'd say I agree with the review. I'm happy with the truck but it is kind of a different beast to me. The 10 speed, drive by wire, turbo lag (very slight), mid-shift defueling, and early TC engagement means that any acceleration is very busy with all sorts of sensations as all of those shifts and algorithms work together. It's actually far more pleasant in eco mode, where it keeps the revs low and the shifts and whatnot are more transparent. I don't like it in Normal mode and Sport mode is undriveable as the driveline feel is waay too inconsistent for any precision control. Tow mode, however, is 100% absolutely spot-on, and a beautiful experience in every way, with a trailer hooked up. (It is not comfortable in Tow without a load).

I have no trouble with the steering. It is not the best, but close to one of the best electrically-boosted tillers I've known. It is worlds better than the EPS in my wife's CRV, every day of the week.

Ergonomics - either your body happens to fit this truck, or it does not. The angle of the wheel to dash and gauge visibility limits what you can do with the adjustable wheel. The seat is not very adaptable or compliant, but it just happens to fit me- but it's a far cry from the "volvo bar," and less adaptable than the gen 1 tundra that I had before. OTOH, the cab is quiet, the engine is quiet, and the vehicle is solid where we really need it.

oh - the headlights are embarrassingly poor. factory alignment was in the trees. Dialed down to the pavement, the dispersion is blotchy, and there's no L-R adjustment, and it needs it.

Originally Posted by Zee09
Ford is blowing it on seat comfort.

I would have to agree. My 02 Taurus seats were awesome. The 17 Fusion seats are awful. Uncomfortable after an hour and the leather is obviously thinner/lower quality compared to what the Taurus had.

Curious which trim level F150 and Ram we are comparing.

Even my lowly XLT (2016 though) has moveable pedals...

No comment on the 10 speed combo - haven't driven one.

We are spoiled consumers these days - lots of good options.

As far as reliability goes - 37,000 miles and no unscheduled trips for repairs. Yes, a few recall items, but nothing else.

Have time behind all 3 best selling pickups I have to agree. I was disappointed the most in the F150. Just about everything seemed like it was built at a price point. The interior felt like 2004. The seats were terrible just terrible. I wanted to enjoy the 2018 F-150. But it is a disappointment IMHO.

Well, as a counterpoint I went from a 2004 F150 XLT to a 2016 XLT (admittedly not an 18), and the interior is much, much nicer. Not in the same ballpark. You couldn't pay me to go back to the 2004.

Steve, how bad is the Ram? Sorry to hear about the accident. No one hurt?

I labeled a deer with my 2017 Ram 1500 two weeks ago. Cracked the heck out of the bumper cover on the right side. Based on the impact it's not that bad.

Last edited:
Yeah, to the OP I'm wondering what trim level of the F-150 vs. Ram are being compared? Can't compare a XL or work truck to a Big Horn or Larime.

I bought a new 2018 F-150 XLT Sport in February, 5.0 with the 10 speed. I am not brand loyal, and bought the best truck. My previous truck was a 1995 Mazda B4000 that I got rid of in cash for clunkers. I was willing to spend about $43k tops. I like the look of the Chevy the best (2018), but did not like the direct injected engine and the fact the crew cabs are assembled in Mexico. You also need to go to LTZ trim to get away from the bench seat. I did not consider Toyota due to price and how terribly dated the truck is, especially the engine and interior. Test drove a 2018 Ram (this was a few months before 2019s hit the dealers) and it was OK, you can get a little more for your money and it had the nicest interior finish, but it wasn't as good overall as the F-150.

For how nice the Ram interior was it seemed small from the cockpit. The engine/exhaust was obnoxious and loud, not nearly as smooth as the Coyote (I do with the Coyote had a little more low end grunt). It also seemed slow and drove heavy. Everyone says the Rams ride well, but the Midnight Edition I drove with 20s seemed to ride rough. The OP's comment about not liking the Ford because of not having the platform that makes the back of the RAM floor flat is a weird comment, since the Fords have a flat floor to begin with so there is no need for the extra platform. Rear seat area is much larger in the Ford. I have the 10 way power adjustable seat and have no issues with seat comfort in the F-150. The options are unsurpassed in the F-150 vs other brands and I got the exact configuration I wanted. My XLT has adjustable pedals standard.

There are few things I don't like or have changed about the F150. I added the brake controller for $100 and 45 min. of time, as it was one of the few things I wanted that wasn't on it. Added a hill descent button for $16 and ten minutes of time. I made several changes to small things (including programming the brake controller and hill descent) in Forscan. The rear factory shocks suck so I put on Blistein 5100s for $144. The low beam headlights suck so I put in some Supernovas from headlightrevolution.com (changing them sucks on this truck). Changed the turns to switchback LEDs and programmed them as DRL in Forscan. And Ford has those awful two piece lugs so I bought different ones. Changing the oil is also a PITA and messy, but Fumoto is coming out with a valve. The engine took about 4000 miles to break in, but my mpg is good for a V8 and it is smooth. The 10 speed had some quirks and needed two new software calibrations, but now it seems good. You expect some initial quirks with new drivetrains or redesigns. I wish there was a little bit better of an on-center feel to the steering, but for electric steering it has a pretty good feel. Sport mode is fun, it is like a different truck. I would contend normal mode is actually programmed to be almost like an eco mode. Sport mode also tightens up the steering. My next mods will be a rear sway bar and cold air intake.

I also was worried about the Ram rusting in the wheel wells. People like different things, that is why we have options.

Was in the market for a new truck a couple of months ago. I ended up trading my 2012 GMC Sierra for a 2018 Chevy Silverado LTZ. At that time the F150 was $5,000 more for a comparable truck. They are very arrogant regarding price because they are selling all they can make. I tried to buy the new 2019 RAM as well. But no one at the RAM dealer wanted to answer my question about the towing side mirrors, that I needed replaced with the standard ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Steve, how bad is the Ram? Sorry to hear about the accident. No one hurt?

I labeled a deer with my 2017 Ram 1500 two weeks ago. Cracked the heck out of the bumper cover on the right side. Based on the impact it's not that bad.

My wife is hurt for sure. The impact moved her truck 6 feet forward with the brakes on! The 2011 Volvo that hit her is totaled out, that poor lady went to the hospital. The RAM is not bad at all, but still will take about 3 grand to repair.

I just thank God my wife was not in a little car!

And someone please tell these guys the Ford is a rental cheapie, not a high line truck. My RAM is a mid level Sport model not a high line one either!

I think the point some of us are making is that some of the complaints about the F150 you are making are simply based on the trim level they gave you in the rental. Nothing more or less.

I drive a mid-level F150 XLT. It has the moveable pedals, as do most F150's at mid trim levels and up. The rear seat doesn't need to fold to a flat surface - the floor is flat, and the seat folds up. Both approaches work. No idea what adjustments your seats in the cheapie have, but the mid-level trucks get 10-way power seats that go just about any direction you need them too.

We are spoiled with multiple good options - but comparing apples to apples is part of a critical comparison.

Mine is an XT, but has everything I need. Like Wally above I added the factory tow controller, and again, when towing, this truck is incredibly thought out and programmed. The onboard controller also uses vehicle speed to bias the brakes out of the equation once it starts approaching 0 mph, and forscan made it happen without a dealer trip.

the dash is, acres of thin hard plastic, but that seems a ford trademark. Mine already creaks. I added cab lights, which was tricky because the AL is >thin< and there's a massive structure member up there which complicates installation. I'd rather have that massive structure than not... I'm pleased with the solid metal bones of the truck, even if the bean counters zapped the interior plastics. I do have to agree with the seat- I'm just fortunate that it happens to fit me.

The driveline, after getting used to the busy-ness it goes through, to me seems solid; stout. It's calm around town, and has gobs of torque, never needs to rev, and if needed, can move out quickly, with a lifetime MPG of 21.4mpg prior to hooking up the trailer.

@Wally, I'm gonna have to check out those headlamps you mentioned.... thanks for the tip.

rentals are "program" cars everything about them is bean counter special , they run down the line for days ,like when cars are in a off part of the year (feb?)
they look exactly the same but everything from sound proofing to cushion foam gets a flinty eye.

Funny,

Both my wife and I love the seats in our new Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 2.7L. As I've mentioned before, I buy for comfort and the Fords fit me better.

Both the 3.5 and the 2.7 have uneven acceleration unless you fill them with premium. The knock sensor will pull timing and that feeling is the result. It's not the transmission.

Yes, the steering has a light "on center" feel. I like it better than the numb electric steering in our 2011 Ecoboost.

The best steering of all is the 2009 4x4 Lariat SuperCrew. It's hydraulic, like god intended.

Weird that you don't like the flat floor in the SuperCrew. It's pretty big and flat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back