Kubota UDT, Super UDT (obsolete?) or Super UDT2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice appreciated. Bought a Kubota L2800 HST 2010 model new in 2011. Finally hit the 50 hr service mark - oil change, hydraulic oil change and front diff lube change including filters. Did the engine oil last yr at 40ish hrs - used Delvac 5w-40 and Kubota filter. For hydraulic oil I can't get/find a clear answer as to what is best. This is a barn queen my kids will likely inherit, so a little more $$ on better fluid is fine, as it will be in there awhile. Dealer (as of last year) ONLY stocked UDT, when asked about Super UDT said "not needed - we don't stock" and "only need to change the filter at 50 hrs - not the fluid". This doesn't coincide with owner's manual, which also lists UDT and Super UDT as appropriate.

My question is this: From what I can find online, Super UDT is obsolete and superceded by Super UDT2. Which leaves the only avail per owner's manual as UDT. Also read that Super UDT2 is synthetic/lowerviscosity/superior. Not sure if any or all is correct.

Certainly willing to get the UDT2, but for the $150 or so cost I'd like to be sure it is correct spec for older 2010 L-series machine. I think it was created for the high RPM BX series.

Check in at tractorbynet.com, there are plenty of Kubota trans fluid discussions there. I don’t have a Kubota but I have the impression that the latest and greatest synthetic SUDT2 or whatever it’s called is definitely the way to go if you operate in very cold conditions or severe service. Can’t imagine that it’s not suitable for your 2010 tractor but you can confirm it at tractorbynet.

Last edited:
Tough decision. Opinions are all over the place. The crew at orangetractortalks forum seem to be all goo goo eyed and in love with the Super UDT2 fluid, even for L series tractors. As already stated, if you are in a cold climate, the choice for the UDT2 is easily supported. Maybe see if you can get in touch with a knowledgeable person at the huge Pennsylvania based Messicks and see what their opinion is. They might have some compelling evidence to sway you towards the UDT2.

Good Luck!!!

EDIT: 50 hours in 7 years is remarkably low usage. I put a very low 100 hours/year on my workplace tractors and I adjust my maintenance schedules to consider both hours and time. I find that in my climate, after about 6 years or so I begin to see a bit of moisture in my UTF's. John Deere recommends 1200 hour UTF changes on our bigger tractors. I change them around 600 hours.

Sorry for being late to the races, but is there any issues with a generic hydraulic fluid like Super S 303? $15 for 2 gallons at TSC.

Today's hydrostatic tractor transmissions claim to be very sensitive to proper fluid selection. Many people are cautious to take a risk on such an expensive investment. And, there are fewer "guinea pigs" testing alternative fluids like we find with automotive transmission fluids and coolants. 303 is a very old specification. The Super S 303 product sheet says it is not suitable for any tractors built after 1974: http://www.smittysinc.net/userfiles...uperTrac_303_Tractor_Hydraulic_Fluid.pdf

Also, respected member Jim Allen reported a VOA here on one of the farm store universal fluids and was disappointed because of the low additive levels.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Today's hydrostatic tractor transmissions claim to be very sensitive to proper fluid selection. Many people are cautious to take a risk on such an expensive investment. And, there are fewer "guinea pigs" testing alternative fluids like we find with automotive transmission fluids and coolants. 303 is a very old specification. The Super S 303 product sheet says it is not suitable for any tractors built after 1974: http://www.smittysinc.net/userfiles...uperTrac_303_Tractor_Hydraulic_Fluid.pdf

Also, respected member Jim Allen reported a VOA here on one of the farm store universal fluids and was disappointed because of the low additive levels.

Yeah I missed that 1974 disclaimer. Lol.

I just posted this in another thread:

I own two Kubotas a BX2370 and a L2501, I run 80-90 synthetic in the front diff, Rotella T6 5-40 in the engine. The hydraulic system I DO NOT run sudt2, the salesman and two mechanics told me to run this, it specs the same as the Kubota fluid (they wouldn't /couldn't) tell me who actually bottles the Kubota fluid. I set a email to this company asking if it was 100% truly sudt2 approved. He replied absolutely 100% that is. He then sent me the full msds and chemical analysis of his oil and the bottled Kubota oil. They were 100% identical and he stated when they are blended there is nothing different as they come off the line. I believe this it the supplier of the Kubota fluids.

Amalie Ultra All-Trac 245 Hydraulic Fluid - 4/1Gal case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QDHAN8/

In my Kubotas the Super UDT seems to quiet down the hydrostatic a bit. The worst thing about the 50 hr tranny hst fluid changes is that on a couple of mine an 800 lb gorilla with a 6' breaker bar must have tightened the tranny filters on at the factory! Man they were on tight

Originally Posted by JMK

I'll repeat it again...

I own two Kubotas a BX2370 and a L2501, I run 80-90 synthetic in the front diff, Rotella T6 5-40 in the engine. The hydraulic system I DO NOT run sudt2, the salesman and two mechanics told me to run this, it specs the same as the Kubota fluid (they wouldn't /couldn't) tell me who actually bottles the Kubota fluid. I set a email to this company asking if it was 100% truly sudt2 approved. He replied absolutely 100% that is. He then sent me the full msds and chemical analysis of his oil and the bottled Kubota oil. They were 100% identical and he stated when they are blended there is nothing different as they come off the line. I believe this it the supplier of the Kubota fluids.

Amalie Ultra All-Trac 245 Hydraulic Fluid - 4/1Gal case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QDHAN8/

Originally Posted by JMK
Originally Posted by JMK

I'll repeat it again...

On the previous page of this thread, it's shown that Ashland bottles Kubota UDT.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the L2501 came with UDT2 from the factory.

Bx1850 kubota 10 years old 195 hours just purchased and changed all the fluids. Went back with super Udt 2 change took 3 gallons with filter. Fluid was $22 a gallon thought about using another brand but for the cost difference because it only took 3 gallons didn't want to take a chance.

I ended up only changing the hydraulic and hydrostat filters. Tractor has 75+ hours on it now. Kept the 10 gal of SUDT2 I'll use it eventually. As clean as the factory fill was I may wait till 200 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back