Ordered magnafine filter for 48re. Won't fit. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several months ago I did a drain and fill in my 5.9l cummins 48re transmission. I could see on the dipstick that the fluid was still not as clean as I'd like. I bought a 1/2" magnafine filter after talking with their tech support. I went to install the filter today and discovered the inside diameter of the hose going to and from the cooler is 5/8". Of course I had to cut the old line before i found out i had the wrong sized inline filter. So now I'm left replacing the hose and still not installing the new filter. Should i just install a remote filter instead? I can find a kit for about 50 bucks. Thoughts?

That's frigging funny. I've worked on a few 48re 5.9 trucks and they all had 1/2" lines. But there's no mistaking if it isnt. Possible Magnefine sent you the wrong size?

No. It's a 1/2" filter. I used a caliper to check the inside diameter of the hose. But just in case it was swollen, I measured the metal cooler lines. They were 5/8." Same on the metal lines on the transmission side. I called the dealer and gave them my vin. They told me my truck shouldn't have hoses and clamps on the transmission cooler. It should have prefabbed fittings. Idk. I'll mess around with it again tomorrow and see what I figure out.

My magnafine on my TX lines was a weeper.

I got a derale external kit with the same 3/4-16 threads as my oil filter.

I opened up my weeping magenfine, found the outer pleats clean, inner pleats has some debris.
I had it plumbed backwards as I assumed the direction of flow incorrectly.
Good thing the bypass was never required.

NOt sure if the incorrect orientation was a cause of the weeping.

Much happier with a larger filter plumbed properly.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
That's frigging funny. I've worked on a few 48re 5.9 trucks and they all had 1/2" lines. But there's no mistaking if it isnt. Possible Magnefine sent you the wrong size?

Well, now I feel dumb. It was the power steering return line I cut. That will teach me to do these kind of things when I'm rushed for time (picking son up from school). Brand new power steering return line and done. Now I just need to figure out if I want to proceed with the magnafine filter or buy a remote filter system.

Originally Posted by Donald
So the lesson to be learned is to pull a hose off, check for size, then cut the hose.

In theory yes. In actuality, it was a stiff, brittle 14 year old hose. Using a hose puller, I could see the ends splitting as I inserted the tool between the hose and the metal line. I backed off, reinstalled the clamp and cut the line instead. I ended up replacing both lines anyway.

The Magnefine has a magnet which the ATF flows over. I find little debris in the media section. The magnet is covered with a steel paste when I have opened up a Magnefine.

My 48RE has a pretty big donut magnet stuck in a corner of the trans pan. Pretty sure it catches more iron than a Magnefine would, but I have used the Derale filter heads myself.

I'm using a Baldwin BT839-10 (10 micron) spin on filter for my transmission line.

The filter base is a generic "log-splitter style" hydraulic filter base.

I also have magnets placed all around the perimeter, between EVERY hole.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Magnets are 8mm N50 neodymium

[Linked Image]

I like both - magnefines are great when there is limited space. On my last truck I used a derale filter mount. I had a wix filter when I sold it, and a mobile syn oil filter for the first 15k. Not sure how the mobil would hold up I pulled it out at 15k and cut it apart - it looked new with zero deformation and no evidence of buildup. the derale mounts are nice in the some allow a temp probe to be added for dash gauge. If you have the hood space, that'd be my first choice.

I'm going to have to crawl under again and see if there is enough room for a remote bracket. I added an aftermarket steering box brace that does its job quite well, but it took up a lot of room under there. If that's the case, I'll just stick with the magnafine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back