Oil and air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Baveux
I've read many moon ago that one could run an engine for miles and miles without an oil filter but not without an air filter so , why so much time (10 time more actually) is spent here talking and over analyzing something that is not crucial, after all if there is nothing or very very little to filter why filtering it ?

And the end of a long oil change interval, whats in the filter ? and from that, what is harmfull in the filter to the engine ? any way to know that ?

Guess you haven't seen the photos of filters that have caught a lot of crud. If you want to run no oil filter, then by all means do so.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
^ Air filters are a little easier to inspect, and you can put them back in if they're not bad-would need mad welding skills to do that with an oil filter!
Not true of cartridge filters---although inspection might involve spilling a little oil..

Originally Posted by Ablebody
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I service lotsa friends cars. Air filters seem to be neglected.
I vacuum and reinstall them and tell the owner to get a new one, or I hit Amazon.
Cabin air filters are even worse.
Ha!

Ill admit I changed my cabin filter at about 120k on my Mazda. I leave air filters in usually at least 30k it was too long on the cabin filter 4 sure. Was pretty bad.

A few years ago, I changed the blower motor in a friend's HHR. The cabin air filter was plugged. One can easily conclude the plugged filter is a huge factor in why the blower motor failed. IIRC the HHR had less than 100,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted by WellOiled
Originally Posted by Ablebody
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I service lotsa friends cars. Air filters seem to be neglected.
I vacuum and reinstall them and tell the owner to get a new one, or I hit Amazon.
Cabin air filters are even worse.
Ha!

Ill admit I changed my cabin filter at about 120k on my Mazda. I leave air filters in usually at least 30k it was too long on the cabin filter 4 sure. Was pretty bad.

A few years ago, I changed the blower motor in a friend's HHR. The cabin air filter was plugged. One can easily conclude the plugged filter is a huge factor in why the blower motor failed. IIRC the HHR had less than 100,000 miles on it.

Yikes!

I have no intention to go without an oil filter I just reported what I've heard, now , how many of the filter you describe we can see compared to the one with nothing significant , and , what was causing all the cr...p you have seen in some filter ?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I've read many moon ago that one could run an engine for miles and miles without an oil filter but not without an air filter so , why so much time (10 time more actually) is spent here talking and over analyzing something that is not crucial, after all if there is nothing or very very little to filter why filtering it ?

And the end of a long oil change interval, whats in the filter ? and from that, what is harmfull in the filter to the engine ? any way to know that ?

Guess you haven't seen the photos of filters that have caught a lot of crud. If you want to run no oil filter, then by all means do so.
grin2.gif

I have no intention to go without an oil filter I just reported what I've heard, now , how many of the filter you describe we can see compared to the one with nothing significant , and , what was causing all the cr...p you have seen in some filter ?

Even if an oil filter looks "clean" visually, there can be lots of microscopic particles trapped in the media. Particles that you can't see with the naked eyes can cause engine wear. Basic logic is the cleaner the oil, the less engine wear. Just like with air filters - the cleaner the air going into the engine, the less engine wear.

I have the K&N air filters on the Honda and the Ford F-150 and I clean them every 6 months or when needed. I know most of the oil guys don't like them but I drove a 2005 Ford F-150 4x4 super crew Lariat for 215,000 miles with the K&N and it didn't use any oil. As far as I know the guy I sold it to still has it and it is probably at 240,000 miles or more and still going strong. I keep a very careful eye on the air filter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back