Oil and air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we not paying too much attention to the oil filter and not enough attention to the air filter ? We can see that we have 10 times mores post on oil filter then air filter .
IMHO air filter are much more important then the oil filter after the break in period, do you agree ? .

I better hang out in the air filter forum more ...
wink.gif
Of course the air filter is very important, but IMO the oil filter is also important enough to care about.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
wink.gif
Of course the air filter is very important, but IMO the oil filter is also important enough to care about.
The oil filter is insignificant as compared to the air filter

Originally Posted by CT8
wink.gif

Of course it's more important than the oil filter ... you wouldn't poor dirt down your oil fill cap hole would ya? That would be like running an engine with no air filter. Dirty air is the main way that outside debris gets into the engine. But what's there to take care of the debris that does get past the filter, and the debris that's generated internally by the engine.

Originally Posted by CT8
wink.gif

What percentage of higher importance out of 100 do give to the air filter and oil filter??

95% air filter 5 % oil filter

90% air filter 10% oil filter

80% air filter 20% oil filter

75% air filter 25% oil filter

70% air filter 30 % oil filter

Just check your air filter on a regular basis, keep it clean, and don't worry about it. It's much more basic than the oil and oil filter questions that arise.

I usually replace my air filter once per year and that's probably way too much. I did some postings in the past showing forest fire ash but generally if you are driving mostly on pavement you can go years between changes. Do we have a place to post dirty air filter photos, much like cut-up oil filters?
banana2.gif

I bought a 99 Saturn with 72k miles. First air filter I changed with Napa (Wix). Within 3k miles checked it and it had a 1 inch hole. That sucked! In my area a well made filter can go 30k easy. They should be checked and not forgotten.

My Elantra filter is at around 13k. I took a picture so dealership does not try to sell me a new. Manual says I am required to change at 30K.

20180925_144615_resized.jpg

I am just trying to find a way to keep Bob the OIL guy in good shape with the most important filtration :)

Last edited:
I've read many moon ago that one could run an engine for miles and miles without an oil filter but not without an air filter so , why so much time (10 time more actually) is spent here talking and over analyzing something that is not crucial, after all if there is nothing or very very little to filter why filtering it ?

And the end of a long oil change interval, whats in the filter ? and from that, what is harmfull in the filter to the engine ? any way to know that ?

Originally Posted by Baveux
Are we not paying too much attention to the oil filter and not enough attention to the air filter ? We can see that we have 10 times mores post on oil filter then air filter .
IMHO air filter are much more important then the oil filter after the break in period, do you agree ? .

Yes they are. Its just that they're boring to people. You put them in and forget about them for 30k or so. Check them or replace them and forget again

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
... Do we have a place to post dirty air filter photos, much like cut-up oil filters?
banana2.gif

Yes, we do

Air filters don't get much attention because they are not a frequent maintenance item like the oil filter is.
On a carbureted engine, it was something that was changed way more often than a fuel injected system.
30-40,000 miles is nothing for air filters in most areas.

I changed my sisters air filter for the first time with over 100,000 miles on it, it was still intact and flowing air. Dirty, yes, but not clogged or anything.

Also, keep in mind that, at any time really, whether the engine is running or not (although I'd only do it with it off), you can open your air box, look at the filter, even pop it out and check it, without worrying about all the air falling out of the engine. It's easy to check, and doesn't really take much work. Try doing that with an oil filter. Oil gets everywhere, you generally have to jack the car up, and you can't really look INSIDE of it without cutting it open. Takes more work.

Plus, the air filter tells you what's going IN to the engine. The oil filter gives you a clue as to what WAS in the engine.

I just changed my 2010 Hyundai Elantra air cleaner filter at 52,000 miles. The vehicle is still under warranty for the powertrain. It had been changed at the dealer once already some time before 30,000. I replaced it with a WIX 49070 air filter.

I service lotsa friends cars. Air filters seem to be neglected.
I vacuum and reinstall them and tell the owner to get a new one, or I hit Amazon.
Cabin air filters are even worse.
Ha!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I service lotsa friends cars. Air filters seem to be neglected.
I vacuum and reinstall them and tell the owner to get a new one, or I hit Amazon.
Cabin air filters are even worse.
Ha!

Ill admit I changed my cabin filter at about 120k on my Mazda. I leave air filters in usually at least 30k it was too long on the cabin filter 4 sure. Was pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back