AISIN HONDA DW-1 ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a parts store so i know AISIN makes very good parts as far as water pumps and timing belt kits and many other things. However I have never seen any ATF Fluids before... So has anyone seen this?

I read a post at some other forum that said it was the same thing.. I dunno so Im asking here. I was also told its on rock auto

[Linked Image]

Interesting how they say "genuine" fluid. They can't say that unless it really is the same stuff. Presuming it is, I'm surprised their contract with Honda allows them to either sell it on their own or if that's allowed, that they can market it as actual Honda fluid.

The Amazon listing says "Honda DW-1" then the bullet point says "Genuine OEM..." fluid. It's deceptive and/or misleading and that's not allowed. There are consumer laws against this kind of thing.

I'll say I take Amazon descriptions 'alone' with a grain of salt. Using henni's bitog link with the Blackstone UOA and subsequent comments, the topic fluid is 'not' identical to DW1. I suppose whether one believes Blackstone or the description a matter of choice.

That said, practically speaking the unknown here is retail price to general public and availability. Unless significantly less than DW1, not worth chasing imo. As I've been successfully using MaxLife MV on couple of Honda vehicles since Z1 discontinued, unlikely I'd have any interest anyway. Depending on price, it could be an option for those with original spec DW1, though I'd have no fear using ML in those too. My .02

If you go to aisin site it clear says its HONDA DW-1. Also I sell parts.. I know AISIN sells some / if not the best water pumps and other parts you can get.

[Linked Image]

The Aisin DW1 is probably good stuff and may be rebranded OEM Honda DW1, but Maxlife is still a better value and a great ATF that will work anywhere DW1 is called for
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Aisin DW1 is probably good stuff and may be rebranded OEM Honda DW1, but Maxlife is still a better value and a great ATF that will work anywhere DW1 is called for
smile.gif

according to max-life / Valvoline site.. Maxlife is suitable for dw1 application...
Its not even recommended... Now for ATF-Z1 its recommended but for DW-1 its only suitable..

I really don't like that its only suitable... Think about it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by David1
according to max-life / Valvoline site.. Maxlife is suitable for dw1 application...
Its not even recommended... Now for ATF-Z1 its recommended but for DW-1 its only suitable..

Well the difference between those two definitions is a bit vague, I've seen them used interchangeably in the past.

You do realize that the same situation exists for the Aisin DW-1 you posted, right? That is not Honda DW-1 approved fluid. Not that I wouldn't use it, but it falls under the same exact "approval" criteria as does the Maxlife. It can't be licensed fluid despite what Amazon might print.

Aisin themselves say "AISIN ATF-DW1 Formulated for DW-1 Applications".

smile.gif

I have and Valvoline would have nothing to gain by listing its fluid as suitable if it did not work and protect. If anything Maxlife would be just as good or better then DW1.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Well the difference between those two definitions is a bit vague, I've seen them used interchangeably in the past.

You do realize that the same situation exists for the Aisin DW-1 you posted, right? That is not Honda DW-1 approved fluid. Not that I wouldn't use it, but it falls under the same exact "approval" criteria as does the Maxlife. It can't be licensed fluid despite what Amazon might print.

Aisin themselves say "AISIN ATF-DW1 Formulated for DW-1 Applications".

I agree.. but suitable.... in automtoive fluids is very questionable.

I would use this 7 days a week over maxlife and twice on sunday...

also if you go to aisin website it clear says

Product
Name: AISIN
ATF-DW1
Formulated
for
DW-1
Applications

it don't list 100 other transmissions specs or specs its okay or safe to use... its honda dw-1 only and for some of us that's important.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
...according to max-life / Valvoline site.. Maxlife is suitable for dw1 application...
Its not even recommended... Now for ATF-Z1 its recommended but for DW-1 its only suitable.....

Aisin themselves say "AISIN ATF-DW1 Formulated for DW-1 Applications"
Well stated and informative.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF uses the term 'suitable for' for ALL included applications. Afaik a term that they have always used. Otoh, Castrol uses the term 'recommended for' for their ATFs. Just a matter of semantics imo, agree both can be used interchangeably and mean the same. And linking the ML PI sheet to correct inaccurate information about MaxLife for Z1 and DW1 applications, like all the ML applications listed both are listed 'suitable for.' MaxLife MV ATF PI sheet.

Also agree the "AISIN ATF-DW1 Formulated for DW-1 Applications" meaning the same as suitable or recommended for applications. It would appear to lend credence to the previously linked (henni) Aisin ATF Blackstone VOA showing it not identical to DW1. And to dispute the Amazon description.

Again though, without an everyday price to the general public just an academic exercise imo. With ML readily available for ~$18 gallon, for me it would have to be in the $4.50-5/qt range to even consider it as an option.

Timed out before being able to add above. Courtesy member dan_erickson is the noted topic ATF VOA from Blackstone with comments regarding the differences they saw between it and DW1.
Originally Posted by dan_erickson
[Linked Image]

smile.gif

FWIW, I did a MaxLife D&F in my Pilot that specs DW-1 and hated it. DW-1 has pretty smooth & consistent shifts. ML was erratic; smooth one day but jerky and flare-y the next. I also don't get why after all this time, DW-1 still isn't listed on the back of the ML jug.

Originally Posted by mclasser
smile.gif

FWIW, I did a MaxLife D&F in my Pilot that specs DW-1 and hated it. DW-1 has pretty smooth & consistent shifts. ML was erratic; smooth one day but jerky and flare-y the next. I also don't get why after all this time, DW-1 still isn't listed on the back of the ML jug.

It's listed in the product sheet.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Originally Posted by mclasser
FWIW, I did a MaxLife D&F in my Pilot that specs DW-1 and hated it. DW-1 has pretty smooth & consistent shifts. ML was erratic; smooth one day but jerky and flare-y the next.

"Smooth" isn't necessarily a good thing though as it means "slip". It's a trade-off of comfort vs clutch wear. "Firm" shifts are generally better overall.

Just bought 5 Q of Aisin DW-1 from rockauto. It was substantially cheaper than the Honda brand so I went with it. 5 Q came out to less than 30 bucks.

Originally Posted by mister_two
Just bought 5 Q of Aisin DW-1 from rockauto. It was substantially cheaper than the Honda brand so I went with it. 5 Q came out to less than 30 bucks.

Did you use it yet?? If so you notice any improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back