Oil type, no big difference | GDI carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just reordered a baffled catch can for the KIA. We'll see how much it collects. The one in the (now gone) Sonata 2.4 didn't collect much at all. Maybe this option would be a good idea for the OP's car...stemming the tide somewhat.

Last edited:
I have 157K on DI Lexus IS 250. No problems.

Changed out PCV
Used low NOACK oils
Used PEA products
Most miles are highway miles at 70+
Rev hard (bc its a manual and I enjoy that)

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Are you referring to late model Hyundai / Kia 2.0 turbos and 2.4 non - turbo GDI engines ?... I run 5w30 D1 Gen 2 synthetic oils at 2 bottle of CRC intake valve cleaner through the vacuum PCV line going back into the engine ... So far at 20K miles in my '17 Sonata 2.4 non - turbo GDI I have experienced zero issues . My protocol is probably a bit much but so far it has been working for me .

This is a good regimen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I wanted to wind hers out the other day when I was driving it alone just to see if it blows black smoke because of the carbon buildup but I'm honestly afraid of taking out a rod bearing while I'm driving it or having it fail the day after I drove it and have her think I caused it, so I drove it gently and just listened for the pinging (for science).

I haven't heard of any issues with the v6 versions but the 2.4 and 2.0t are blowing up quite regularly according to the reading I've done. They are even having a huge increase in fires lately which could possibly be due to the amount that are getting engine replacements, and possibly resultant fuel leaks from something left loose after (very high pressure on any direct injection engine).

The different versions blowing up is due to Korean manufacture vs US manufacture I believe.

Also, from what I have gathered, KIA/Hyundai do a two stage injection during the combustion cycle. One is while the intake valves are still open enough to get some fuel sprayed on the back.

I also read that they don't use a traditional PCV system. They have modified it to reduce gunk sucked back in across the intake valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back