STOP logo on Wix analysis - 2002 Lexus RX300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this vehicle from a local guy pretty cheap ($1400). I had an inkling I'd be putting some money into it (gonna be throwing a wheel bearing and sway bar link in next week). Didn't figure the transmission was going to go (or is it?). First pull, haven't changed fluid yet (which I am planning to do now obviously). Fluid doesn't smell burnt, but rather sweet. Engine oil analysis was pulled and was a green check mark with no wear indicators. No transmission jerks or problems. This vehicle is NOT my daily driver (in fact it's not even plated yet). Planning to use it this winter for AWD capability. Am I sitting on a ticking time bomb here?

Tell me what you make of this, fellow shadetree tribologists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell. You might need to change it and resample after a while. Unless you know more about the history of the car.
It could be it's never been changed and much of the metals are break in wear.

When we had a 2001 RX300 AWD I did read some owner's lost transmission early at low miles. At your mileage you never know for sure.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
When we had a 2001 RX300 AWD I did read some owner's lost transmission early at low miles. At your mileage you never know for sure.

Yeah, that's why I'm highly doubtful that it's still the original transmission fluid from the factory. These transmissions are built so weak in this generation of RX, it likely would have gone out already. The real question is, put more work into it? Or sell it advertised with known problems?

Originally Posted by zerosoma
The real question is, put more work into it? Or sell it advertised with known problems?

The real question is whether you really want to post you name and address for the world to see on your UOA.

Might want to contact a forum moderator for some help.....

That would be a Aisin U140F.......They had problems with Torrington Bearing failures from poor material choice AND loose unit end-play from the factory.

I would expect to see A LOT of chromium if a bearing was failing!!! Drain & Fill a couple times then re-test!!

Don't let internet hysteria run you on this one.....A LOT of U140F units lived long lives! Though it will never be the "Built like a Brick Outhouse" unit the A541E in your Solara is, It could very well have some miles left in it.

Toyota dealership flushed transmission fluid at 30k on the 2001 RX300. When you pulled the dipstick and put transmission fluid on a paper towel it looked grey before the flush. It definitely was shedding something.

Originally Posted by Imp4
The real question is, put more work into it? Or sell it advertised with known problems?

The real question is whether you really want to post you name and address for the world to see on your UOA.

Might want to contact a forum moderator for some help.....

Lol. yes. well, my address they decided to print is an address over 10 years old. I dunno why they pulled an old address and put it on my UOA.

Toyota dealership flushed transmission fluid at 30k on the 2001 RX300. When you pulled the dipstick and put transmission fluid on a paper towel it looked grey before the flush. It definitely was shedding something.

Yeah I'm still getting maroon fluid showing on a white paper towel. I'm fairly certain it was changed at one point, just not within the last year and a half that the previous guy owned it for (said he never changed it).

Yeah I'm still getting maroon fluid showing on a white paper towel. I'm fairly certain it was changed at one point, just not within the last year and a half that the previous guy owned it for (said he never changed it).

Being a Lexus the original owner may have had it dealer serviced. There may be a way to get that info from a dealership. Looks like you may be able to get that online.

Service History Lexus

Did a full tranny pan drop yesterday and cleaned the magnets and the pan... and replaced the filter and the fluid (T-IV)

also got a wheel bearing and sway bar link done by the shop I rented the bay from while I was doing that. I sanded down the caliper bodies (rusty freaking things) and put new brakes and hardware on all around.

Took 8 hours and a few hundred bucks but I got it situated I think. Drives like a dream now! Hoping it will last at least another hundred thousand miles in my possession.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
That would be a Aisin U140F.......They had problems with Torrington Bearing failures from poor material choice AND loose unit end-play from the factory.

(Too) loose end play is simply a dumb stupid design/manufacturing on the part of OEM that no world class bearing is designed to deal with .
I wouldn't attribute this typical failure to bearing material choice for there are quite standard.
Glad the OP is happy with the vehicle post rectifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back