Honda oil filter - 10500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My accord hybrid does 10-15k miles per oci. This time it was 10500 when It hit 10%. As it's a hybrid, it starts and stops the engine continuously, under load, on the highway, etc.

This is the (honeywell or gram)? Cardboard endcap version. No concerns whatsoever with that construction, given that it has stayed strong, stable, and flat. My cartridge filters get wavier with compressing into its bore, so the media waviness is not a concern to me.

M1 EP 0w-20 has always been used on this vehicle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Probably fine for 2yr/20-25k miles. I do skip filter changes on the van if and only if I don't change the oil brand/type. It's much cleaner/easier on this car. One of the best spin on designs I've encountered.

I changed in a M1 filter. It did have a tiny bit of surface rust fwiw.

[Linked Image]

Good cut and paste, thanks for showing the end cap hole. For awhile now the end cap holes on Frams have not been shown, kept hidden. I see what I need to see.

Looking good! I've been running my Element at double OCIs adding up to 16k-18k on the filter with no obvious issues from previous C&Ps. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by Ablebody
Good eye, goodtimes, there sure is a hole in the endcap around the center tube. Hmmmm, not good.

Care to explain?? I just did this to see what it was like inside, and to recycle the steel parts. I don't regularly review filter photos.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Good eye, goodtimes, there sure is a hole in the endcap around the center tube. Hmmmm, not good.

Care to explain?? I just did this to see what it was like inside, and to recycle the steel parts. I don't regularly review filter photos.

I dont believe the other 2 posters above. I dont see a single hole anywhere in endcap

There is a contingent here that doesn't seem to grasp how the endcaps are glued to the media and the ADBV and bypass/leafspring seal to the end caps. This contingent believes that oil can bypass the media because the center tube is not lined up perfectly. If you actually push them to support their view... well things break down. I'm still trying to understand how/and why they believe this, but we can't seem to get there. I'm genuinely interested in having a technical discussion about this without all the snark.

Additionally, the leafspring fits somewhat tightly in the center tube and tends to make the center tubes shape more uniform when installed.

Nothing wrong with this filter. Thank you for the C&P.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

There is a contingent here that doesn't seem to grasp how the endcaps are glued to the media and the ADBV and bypass/leafspring seal to the end caps. This contingent believes that oil can bypass the media because the center tube is not lined up perfectly. If you actually push them to support their view... well things break down. I'm still trying to understand how/and why they believe this, but we can't seem to get there. I'm genuinely interested in having a technical discussion about this without all the snark.

Additionally, the leafspring fits somewhat tightly in the center tube and tends to make the center tubes shape more uniform when installed.

Technical discussion? How technical do ya need be to understand that filter will indeed leak by? Also where did the glue go that should have been filing the gap? If it broke loose while In use ya better hope it flows around to the outside of the core and dosnt slip through one of the holes into the center.

Last edited:

Technical discussion? How technical do ya need be to understand that filter will indeed leak by? Also where did the glue go that should have been filing the gap? If it broke loose while In use ya better hope it flows around to the outside of the core and dosnt slip through one of the holes into the center.

Draw me a picture of how the oil gets from one side of the media to the other with the ADBV and Leaf spring in place.

The pictures above are sufficient to tell. I know you understand that the oil flows from the outside in? The adbv and leaf spring both fit into the center tube. The gapping between the center tube and core are left open. Therefore oil can leak through. Also where is the glue? Did it break off? Was it never properly sealed to begin with? Is it now stuck somewhere inside the engine or did it cycle back through? If so, how many times? Not good!

The pictures above are sufficient to tell. I know you understand that the oil flows from the outside in? The adbv and leaf spring both fit into the center tube. The gapping between the center tube and core are left open. Therefore oil can leak through. Also where is the glue? Did it break off? Was it never properly sealed to begin with? Is it now stuck somewhere inside the engine or did it cycle back through? If so, how many times? Not good!

If you will look at the cut open filters there is always an impression where the leaf seals to the end cap, also to a lesser extent where the ADBV seals to that end cap - it is softer and has a wider sealing surface but you'll see where it seals.

This is why an Ultra has a fiber sealing ring on the metal end cap.

The END CAP is the seal and creates the barrier to filtered and unfiltered oil passing, not the center tube.

If the media were sufficiently strong to support the spring pressure and keep the seal the you could entirely remove the center tube and it still wouldn't be in bypass.

As to where the glue is, there was never any glue there.

Immcomfused. No gap. Everything in there was very tight, there were materials overlaps for the adbv and the center tube, and the spring and the center tube. The cardboard end caps were surprisingly not flimsy or weak. I was impressed at how well they were affixed.

No complaints with this filter. It was solid.

If you will look at the cut open filters there is always an impression where the leaf seals to the end cap, also to a lesser extent where the ADBV seals to that end cap - it is softer and has a wider sealing surface but you'll see where it seals.

The END CAP is the seal and creates the barrier to filtered and unfiltered oil passing, not the center tube.

Exactly. As long as there is a complete seal around the center tube on the end caps, then that small gap around the metal center tube does not matter at all. There is a seal all around the end cap due to the ends of the pleats being glued to the end cap, so the only way oil could leak past the media is if the sealing ring impression on the end cap around the center tube showed evidence of non contact.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Exactly. As long as there is a complete seal around the center tube on the end caps, then that small gap around the metal center tube does not matter at all. There is a seal all around the end cap due to the ends of the pleats being glued to the end cap, so the only way oil could leak past the media is if the sealing ring impression on the end cap around the center tube showed evidence of non contact.

Lota stretching goes on around here.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Lota stretching goes on around here.

You still haven't explained how oil can leak past the media if there's a sealing ring impression all around the center tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back