'18 Equinox: Whats New, Good, Bad, ...and Odd

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner's manual for the 2018 Equinox with the 2.0 liter engine highly recommends premium fuel. This would increase the cost of fuel 50 cents per gallon in my area. Opinions?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: HM12460
Very nice! The Equinox has much more eye appeal than the 2017. Makes me wish I had waited another year.

Your '17 Terrain is the last of the evolutionary Theta platform improvements, ironing out the bugs. Should run without issues.
The '17 Terrain was almost 5" longer (length and wheelbase both) than the current Equinox, but the width remains about the same.

I saw a 2017 BMW X1 of the Equinox-Rav4 size class, based off the Mini chassis, and it might not handle as well as the Equinox. Possibly what Car and Driver was reffering to when they said:
(With the 2.0L turbo engine and 9-speed transmission) "The all-new Chevy Equinox—and we can’t even believe we’re saying this, considering where the old Equinox left off—feels more connected, nimble, and dialed-in than some far costlier German competition."--http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-chevrolet-equinox-20t-awd-test-review

Thank you for your comment's. I hope it lasts a long time too. A bit concerned about the timing chain issue's on the 2.4 and 3.6 engine's, hopefully the General got them resolved. Mine is the AWD version with the 2.4 engine.

I'm still looking for something else in this class of vehicle or close that uses a disengaging, gas-saving GKN-style AWD system. Declutching at the back wheels seems to be the only way. I heard several years ago FCA wanted to do it in their long-serving LX chassis cars, but they may have ditched the idea when gas prices dropped.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I wouldn't be blowing money on a high end Fram or expensive oil if I was leasing it.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Remember I could buy the car at lease end. Besides, Fram Ultras at Walmart are cheap in this size (cartridge ones can be outrageous). Also, changing oil on this thing is just too easy, as the oil filter is right there underneath, simple to reach, and drain plug too

The blown money is on the lease and end of lease purchase... You just described the most expense way to operate a vehicle possible.

You're putting money down (just like buying new) and make payments on a quickly deprecating assets (just like buying new.) The depreciation of the vehicle is offset to the owner (the lease company) via the lease payment, then you purchase the used vehicle, you've been paying the depreciation on for 3 years, from the lease company. Which A) is pretty much just a standard used vehicle purchase at that point. And B) I guarantee you the lease company will also make money on, as well as, the money made on your down payment and depreciation payments (ie lease payments.)

I wouldn't be worrying about a or for tax write off purposes.

I enjoy reading the threads here on BITOG, but it cracks me up some times how many folks on here worry about finance company. I'd loved to know how many people on have written an enthusiastic post about saving $2.59 on a gallon of oil, but will also run out to buy the $1000 new iPhone 10...

But to each his own I guess.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
The blown money is on the lease and end of lease purchase... You just described the most expense way to operate a vehicle possible.
I probably won't buy it at lease end. Nice having the option anyway, but new tech in vehicles or changing needs means I probably won't.

You do raise some good points. I'm not agreeing. I don't think you're fully considering the low interest rates now for leases, nor true acquisition cost (balloon loan = lease), etc. ......
Lease or Buy, its good to list out the differences:

Lease Payment is $237/month,
buying would be $449/month for a 60-month loan. Big advantage lease.
Does anybody really think $237/month is close to $449? Bottom line.

The 39-month lease is under full warranty, and almost no maintenance during that time.
The 60-month loan would be off-warranty a lot while the vehicle ages. Risky.

The lease means I can simply walk away at lease-end if I don't like the vehicle. Like a 3 year test drive, very cool. Might just lease again in 3 years, who knows. If I do buy at lease end, it would be $18,000, very reasonable, for a vehicle I know the detailed history of and have driven myself for 3 years!!
Compare to buying it with a loan: I would have to sell at retail or trade at wholesale in 3 years. Trouble. Labor/time to do all that. Meeting with used car buyers via Autotrader.com for example, is not my idea of fun. Could just keep it and risk breakdowns, while driving older tech that may no longer be what's needed in the type of vehicle it is.

I stopped by an Audi dealership a couple of days ago, and found out the expensive Audi Allroad station wagon has a similar disengagement of the AWD system as the Equinox's GKN-brand AWD system, but the Audi does it automatically above 31 degrees F when going in a nearly straight line. Equinox's AWD switch is totally up to the driver, which I think I prefer.

Originally Posted By: Wingman
The owner's manual for the 2018 Equinox with the 2.0 liter engine highly recommends premium fuel. This would increase the cost of fuel 50 cents per gallon in my area. Opinions?

Ouch! I just noticed that too. I've got the 1.5L turbo engine, which does take regular. There is a greater purchase price and fuel cost both if buying the 2.0L engine here, something to consider. I actually feel I don't need the 2.0L's extra power, but the new 9-speed transmission the 2.0L is paired with would beat my 6-speed tranny. Maybe GM will just make the 9-speed tranny standard on all engines later on.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I'm disappointed GM dropped the 3.6 V6.
I'm beginning to agree with BMW, Ford, and GM where we see increasing use of turbo-4's to replace old sixes. Look at the 3.6 V6's complexity (parts count) and internal friction, as well as size & weight. Huge double timing chains aren't helping the V6 configuration. Remember this isn't the old elegant Buick 3.8L design either.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Originally Posted By: FastLane
I'm disappointed GM dropped the 3.6 V6.
Sarcasm I hope?

That V6 does make a lot of power and torque from its direct injection and variable valve timing. About 300 hp. The twin-turbo version of that V6 is nice in the Cadillac models too. A lot of people like it.

Lets analyze a lease deal from Chevy:
H2NZH1h.jpg

I think you can beat this using TrueCar.com pricing power-knowledge and asking several dealerships for a better deal.
Maybe a good example for other makes and models too.

Here's what you have to add to that $199 per month payment:
--- Add $12 for local taxes.
--- Add $10 for license fees.
--- Add $15 if you want the $2,000 option package I got over this base LT advertised.
--- Add $15 if you want AWD vs. the standard FWD.
--- Add $10 if you want to put on 12k miles instead of the default $10k miles per year.
Becomes $261 per month, mine is $237 a month, so you can beat this Chevy deal!!

Mine was 39 months (not 24 months like this one), but I guess we could compare the monthly outlay. Not quite apples to apples because of the term. Ford's "Red Carpet Leases" probably similar to this. Jaguar had some cool lease deals on their lowest-level car I noticed. Jeep is trying to clear out 2017 leftover Cherokees with lease deals. It can be done.

I think I was wrong about the supplier-designer for the disconnecting AWD system. I thought it was GKN, mentioned in the context of the larger GM CUV's in retrospect. Anyway, this system has been used in the Cherokee in recent model years, although the one in the '18 Equinox AWD is a newer evolution. .....

"Who supplies the Equinox’s new disconnecting rear-axle set-up? That’s the American Axle system called EcoTrac." https://www.sae.org/news/2017/04/engineering-chevys-lighter-stronger-cuv ....."The system disconnects at the power transfer unit (PTU) and the rear drive module (RDM) allowing large portions of the driveline to stop rotating while in front-wheel drive mode, including both the PTU and RDM hypoid gear sets, the bearings associated with the gear sets, and the driveshaft." --- https://www.aam.com/media/story/aam-s-next-generation-ecotrac-increases-

I've activated it at speed and at a stand-still, and you can't hear anything engage! Just a button near the shifter for the Equinox, not automatic activation. You have to know to activate it when the human driver thinks conditions (slick) warrant it. I prefer that actually. Its off 99% of the time for better fuel economy and low wear back there (PTU and rear-end too).

ecotrac-rdm.tmb-1200-crop.jpg

Last edited:
We've had our '18 FWD 1.5 for 2 weeks now. My wife really likes it (basically her vehicle). Has about 1000 miles on it and now I did a couple of full throttle pulls- I don't think it's that sluggish as others make it out to be. Very quiet ride and the MPG is decent.

Sounds like you got a pretty solid deal on a car you can just walk away from after three years.
I can't think of any good reason for the difference in sump capacity between the FWD and the AWD, although GM must have had some reason.
Same for fuel tank capacities.
I will say that the fuel tanks seem a little puny, though.

Originally Posted by road_rascal
We've had our '18 FWD 1.5 for 2 weeks now. My wife really likes it (basically her vehicle). Has about 1000 miles on it and now I did a couple of full throttle pulls- I don't think it's that sluggish as others make it out to be. Very quiet ride and the MPG is decent.
As far as sluggish, its only the initial turbo lag that bothers me. Otherwise, it gets enough torque to move OK.

As a follow-up to more info about the cool AWD system GM bought from American Axle (similar to Jeep Cherokee):
"Who supplies the Equinox's new disconnecting rear-axle set-up? That's the American Axle system called EcoTrac." https://www.sae.org/news/2017/04/engineering-chevys-lighter-stronger-cuv ....."The system disconnects at the power transfer unit (PTU) and the rear drive module (RDM) allowing large portions of the driveline to stop rotating while in front-wheel drive mode, including both the PTU and RDM hypoid gear sets, the bearings associated with the gear sets, and the driveshaft." --- https://www.aam.com/media/story/aam-s-next-generation-ecotrac-increases-

A GM engineer was a part of an Equinox video and flashed some info on the screen, maybe used to educate salespeople or technicians at the dealership. It shows the specific parts in green which do not move unless AWD is engaged via a button on the dash. When engaged, the engineer said something about the Control Laws (software algorithms) using clever heuristic predictive smarts to figure out how to send torque to which wheel, could be quite advanced:
[Linked Image]

EquinoxAWD.JPG

I'm holding out for the new trailblazer. If I'm buying an SUV it better be able to tow 5000lbs without blowing up.

Good looking station wagon though I would have went with the blazer to get the V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back