oil quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a job at a local Napa delivering parts/working the counter. Great people to work for , the manager has been there 35 years, knowledgeable guys. I told him I'd rather buy my oil at Wal Mart due to it being cheaper. He said that Wal Mart can sell Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc for cheaper cause its a lesser quality blend thats whats available in a parts store. I know its complete nonsense and not true, but do you guys think it is possible in some circumstances? I know Wal Mart has great buying power and things like that and also when it comes to applying a price to items.

I contacted Valvoline and asked that question, and they said the oil in the jug is exactly the same quality. The jugs do however have a different UPC, but that's because it's production for Walmart.

If a brand name oil sold through Walmart was actually inferior, you think the oil maker would want that to be known? And how could they put all the certifications on the bottle/jug if it was inferior? Your new boss is blowing smoke.

No way. If you were Wal Mart, would you stand for that? It is cheaper because they buy FAR more of it than Napa or anyone else. It might also be risking a false advertising law suit if it were of lesser quality.

I work at a competitor to Napa and that sounds like the same type of BS some of the people here would say. No wonder people that work at parts stores have such a bad reputation for being clueless.

They sell special models of TVs and small appliances stripped of features I think the only real way to know would be send it in for a chemical analysis.

The same phony claim was made about spark plugs many years ago; big box
stores were selling second rate parts.
B.S.
For a while, Wal-mart was selling 5 qt. jugs while auto parts stores were still
vending the 4 qt. jugs. So they would certainly have a different UPC code, and
as Wal-mart production runs are a good size, they may still have the code a bit
different.

My 2¢

Walmart twists all the oil companies arms as they do to every other supplier that sells at Walmart. You have to basically almost give away your product when selling to Walmart. High volume and very small margins when selling to walmart, if not they won't buy your product. They tell you what they will buy if for and what they will sell it for. ALL the oil companies are basically at the mercy of Walmarts buyers.

Was in an Advanced AP yesterday in WV and bought a 5 quart jug of PP 0w20. Was in a Walmart 5 minutes later a half mile away, and same jug was $5 cheaper. Made me cringe.

Also made we wonder whether Walmarts still accept oil returns . . . . which is why I tend to avoid buying oil at Walmart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mobilaltima
I recently got a job at a local Napa delivering parts/working the counter. Great people to work for , the manager has been there 35 years, knowledgeable guys. I told him I'd rather buy my oil at Wal Mart due to it being cheaper. He said that Wal Mart can sell Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc for cheaper cause its a lesser quality blend thats whats available in a parts store. I know its complete nonsense and not true, but do you guys think it is possible in some circumstances? I know Wal Mart has great buying power and things like that and also when it comes to applying a price to items.

Hmmm...I wonder how much knowledgeable he is.

Originally Posted by samiamz
Originally Posted by mobilaltima

Hmmm...I wonder how much knowledgeable he is.

About as knowledgeable as my coworker that had worked for Grand auto then Kragen then my current place for 20 years. And still knows nothing about cars. He doesn't even drive.

I was at AutoZone and Napa yesterday and no one knows anything. Best they can do is type on the computer ... I found what I wanted at Napa after I was twice told that they don't carry it and this is all we have ...
I don't listen to anything anyone says in parts places. Research before you go ...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by man114
They sell special models of TVs and small appliances stripped of features I think the only real way to know would be send it in for a chemical analysis.

I think for some products it may true. For example they sell a six pack of Bic lighters for the same price you can only buy two same size Bics at a convenience store. How? By filling them with a couple of milliliters less fuel, hardly noticeable but millions of lighters that really adds up. Same thing for Duracell or Energizer batteries. I've purchased the 24pack or whatever quantity is in those value packs of AAA, 9volt. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but they just don't seem to last compared to say buying from the little hardware or corner store . Engine oil I doubt they're playing the same game, there's more at stake.

Last edited:
Sounds like non-sense to me. Wal-Mart just has the buying power and their own sku jugs/bottles. Stops people from buying at Wal-Mart prices and returning at an auto parts store with no receipt for a greater store credit, I'm sure it's also to monitor production and product be supplied to Wal-Mart.

I was reading the FAQ page at Mobil a few years ago and this question came up. They said WalMart oil was the same as the auto parts stores. They said WalMart's buying power kept the price down.

Just smile and politely ask for proof. If the proof starts with..."think about it", its BS.

VOA should tell the tale. Napa sells oil analysis so that should be easy. A VOA or back to back UOA in the same vehicle would be my proof if I believe the driving conditions were very similar.

Outside of that. BS.

He's probably just putting that in your head so you repeat it to customers that ask with NAPA oil is so much higher than walmart prices. make them feel OK about buying inflated price oil.

Ignorance is bliss but often expensive.

Walmart quality is the exact same as anywhere else. They're just another retailer that has the power to buy in bulk,therefore selling cheaper which translates into us (the consumer) keeping more of our hard earned money in our own wallets.

Originally Posted by claluja
Was in an Advanced AP yesterday in WV and bought a 5 quart jug of PP 0w20. Was in a Walmart 5 minutes later a half mile away, and same jug was $5 cheaper. Made me cringe.

Also made we wonder whether Walmarts still accept oil returns . . . . which is why I tend to avoid buying oil at Walmart.

My local Wal Mart accepts used oil. I just have to sign a sheet of paper telling the volume of oil I'm leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back